+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Argus and the Sporting star

The Argus and the Sporting star

They have talking about these on WM phone in tonight .
    Brought back memories waiting for the van to arrive .
    Later in life , my wife had a part time job delvering the Sandwell Mail and the argus round the newsagents in Great Bidge, Tipton and Wednesbury .
    If Albion was away i used to help her on the Argus run .

It always amazed me how quick the local football results and reports were compiled in such a short space of time! I also would wait for the Argus to be delivered which would invariably arrive within an hour of the game finishing

Myself and Baggies-boy-Tony worked on the Sports Argus for in my case twenty years but Tony for far longer as he is a good bit older than me. No offence Tony. It was a great experience and probably the next best thing to being able to go to the game. The scores of the local Big Six teams would come into the Composing Room from Editorial within seconds of a goal being scored. As an apprentice I took great pleasure in shouting out 1 up the Baggies and even more of 1 down the Cream (as an apprentice you had to refer to the Vile as the cream). Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Wazoo View Post
    Myself and Baggies-boy-Tony worked on the Sports Argus for in my case twenty years but Tony for far longer as he is a good bit older than me. No offence Tony. It was a great experience and probably the next best thing to being able to go to the game. The scores of the local Big Six teams would come into the Composing Room from Editorial within seconds of a goal being scored. As an apprentice I took great pleasure in shouting out 1 up the Baggies and even more of 1 down the Cream (as an apprentice you had to refer to the Vile as the cream). Great times.
    The blues reporter was saying he was using the land lines from the and dicating the report during the match to a copy writter.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    The blues reporter was saying he was using the land lines from the and dicating the report during the match to a copy writter.
    Think he said his name was Colin Tattler

Still have my old Albion scrap book somewhere from the 70s comprised mostly of cuttings from the Argos match reports

Didn't know that .
    The B'ham Dispatch did the Blue sports paper, whilst the Mail did the PInk till , the mail tookover the dispatch .
    I've got the Blue 54 Cup Final special

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    Think he said his name was Colin Tattler
    Yes I heard it to. His name is Colin Tatum.great days.when I was serving overseas in the 80s my dad would send me a few copies via BFPO..those Argus pages would go around the lads..as I said great days..form rate outstanding.

Sorry Soulman, it was the other way round, my brother worked for the Evening Despatch who produced the Pink Argus, I worked at the B'ham Mail and we produced the Blue Sports Final.
    The Mail brought out the Despatch and closed it down so we took over producing the Sports Argus

Quote Originally Posted by Baggies_Boy_Tony View Post
    Sorry Soulman, it was the other way round, my brother worked for the Evening Despatch who produced the Pink Argus, I worked at the B'ham Mail and we produced the Blue Sports Final.
    The Mail brought out the Despatch and closed it down so we took over producing the Sports Argus
    Hi Tony thanks for the info .
    Looked it up today the Mail tookover the Despatch in 1963 but it has stated up again as a e mail paper .
    The Sporting Star finnished 15 years ago and the Argus 18 years ago .
    A chap rang up tonight and he got the 1931 cup final Argus Blues V Albion .

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)