+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlie Cresswell Dilemma ?

So Spaldy - how long before the US MLS Cup competition becomes ‘the World Series’?

🤔🤣

what?? you mean we aren't already? think about it. No promotion, no relegation, team franchises "granted" to who the MLS sees fit.

Countless cities have built, or are building, purpose built stadiums yet still don't get franchises or a chance to earn one.

seriously, with the gall of some of these people that run the MLS they probably will have the audacity to call the MLS champions "world series champions".

Very sad when you think about it. It would take "soccer" to a whole another level in the US if they did relegation/promotion. No other pro sport does that in the US. Even non "soccer" people would get interested when you start talking about teams moving up and down in the sport. Can you imagine a New York team being relegated and a team from Evansville Indiana earning promotion in their place? It would be incredible.
    Last edited by spaldy; 19-01-2024 at 03:42 PM.

Better yet Imagine a Boston based team being demoted in favor of Meridian Mississippi earning promotion.

The humbling of those arrogant people would be the sports moment of the year!!!!!!!!! Orgs would have to move due to civil unrest!

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    De nada - hope you and family are well - how is the tennis coming along? 😎

My tennis is slower but since switching from playing with my left hand to my right its better but I still make mistakes with my footwork as my years boxing that sports stance still clicks into my tennis but some errors have been reduced overall.
    Still cycling and road running and also did local aquathlons with my daughters last summer which were tough but enjoyable.Discovered yoga via T which has increased my flexibility at the cost of my muscle mass as I am not lifting weights anymore at the gym now........so physically I am better for it nowadays and its surprising how different sports do have different responses with more muscle than without it but at 57 I am happy to be stood up after picking the daily moule batch daily and get home before the tide gets in !
    MOT

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Better yet Imagine a Boston based team being demoted in favor of Meridian Mississippi earning promotion.

The humbling of those arrogant people would be the sports moment of the year!!!!!!!!! Orgs would have to move due to civil unrest!
    That would be entertaining, just for the locals going bananas.

Must admit that I've stayed out of this thread (and not actively moderated any responses) because I'm only really getting my information via here and, although I can see the points "both sides" are trying to makie my only obvious insight is that younger players are now under pressures beyond simply playing football and, unless thoroughly grounded or well advised, they might not always make the best decisions in both the short and the long term?

Nail on head Org..........
    Staying grounded is the difference between a young footballer making it or falling down the leagues, imo.
    You have to reinforce positive behaviour and set firm and consistent limits consistently !

One common trait among many young footballers before they get success is arrogance especially in their free time on nights out as my two daughters can testify.The persona style of some players with their standout clobber and flash jewellery driving customised cars can be worrying particularly as some are spending thousands of euros a week on it.Difficult as a parent regarding involvement but personally I firmly keep the slack button switched on with all my kids of two boys and two girls with nearly twenty years difference between eldest and youngest.

Football wise can be frustrating when you see them not getting involved minutes wise because you know they are better than what they are showing and its easy that they can then concentrate to much on the negatives..........
    not easy but as T said firm but consistent fair control of young players from all involved makes the difference.
    (Just like your mod skills on here)
    MOT

Geez it's just taken me an hour to read through this entire thread lol!

My take on it for what it's worth is this

Charlie has captained our u18 and u23/21 side

He's played in various England youth level matches

He had a colourful loan spell with Millwall which overall for his first senior loan in football would be seen as a relative success

He's had a handful of appearances for the Leeds first team, spread over the last few seasons

He's still only 21 years old, he's on a long contract at Leeds, he has the club captain in cooper, the team captain in Struijk, and farkes own signing in Rodon ahead of him, all 3 are pretty experienced and you'd like to think there's enough experience in that trio for Charlie to learn from and improve his game and his focus

As a player, I don't think anyone is questioning his ability, and I'll point out his ATTITUDE hasn't been questioned by Farke, his FOCUS however has been, with Farke saying he wants Charlie to be patient for a chance in the starting 11, and to be excited about the prospect of this eventually happening.

Charlie from what we can gather asked for the 5 shirt this was before Rodon turned up, he was given it, and it looked as if things were looking promising at the start of the season, then Leeds sign Rodon, a direct competitor for the RCB position.

So here's my thinking, once a player hits 20, they're no longer a kid, they have started their adult life, and so want to do adult things, like in this case, play for the adult team, with Charlie being part of a football family, and having been brought through the Leeds academy, he might have thought he'd have a better chance of at least establishing himself as primary CB on the bench, that way knowing he's just one bad performance, one red card, or one injury away from being given a chance, but because of this way of thinking, Farke feels that if Charlie goes onto that pitch, that his focus won't be about the team it will be about himself, in so far as I'm on the pitch now, I'm happy enough, until I get dropped again for the managers preferred players.

I could be wrong with that but it's the impression given off, there or there abouts anyway.

Another point to make, Struijk and Rodon have been very good this season, for what reason would Farke have to drop either just to see if say given half a dozen games consecutive if Charlie would be good enough to be considered a regular starter ahead of Rodon, or to try a 2 right footed CB partnership which we get the impression Farke prefers one LCB and one RCB, CB is a crucial area of the pitch where valuable partnerships are formed and right now, Struijk and Rodon are farkes preferred CB partnership because they've earned it with their performances so far this season.

And one final point to consider. Players more often than not tend to stay at a club longer than a manager does, while Charlie isn't getting many opportunities to play under Farke, the fact that the club sees Charlie as an important part of the playing squads future by giving him that new long contract, and the fact he is our youngest senior CB, and the fact that farke sees Ampadu as an adequate back up CB, would it not make sense to loan Charlie out again, protect the clubs investment in Charlie, let him play the matches he needs to continue his development as a player, to help regain his positive focus, and then have another crack at forcing his way into the team in the summer pre season, baring in mind, cooper will likely leave leeds this summer, especially if leeds are promoted, and if Leeds don't secure Rodon on a permanent deal, then Cresswell initially by default becomes first choice rcb/second choice CB, Charlie imo has a big future at Leeds, beyond what ever time Farke has at the club, cooper has had set backs at Leeds but has stayed loyal and had a great career, Charlie can do the same, it just begs the question, will he be patient enough, and will the club do everything possible to keep him, there's no point selling for peanuts, he's too good a prospect for that imo, I want to see a Leeds team that has 2 cresswells and 2 Grays in the first 11, I want to see the club bringing through their own talent, not losing prospects like gorman for a million quid because of gorman being so young there was nothing to stop us from him leaving, and that's due to the rules by the higher ups with gorman being just 14/15 at the time

To conclude, I hope Charlie stays at Leeds for his whole career, has whatever loan spells are required to keep up his development and gametime, and when the timing and the management is right, that Charlie plays for Leeds, shines for Leeds, and maybe even eventually captains Leeds United.

MOT!!!

PS - Monaco Totty, I'm in many Leeds United fans forums and other general football ones too, I get many folk who throw abuse at me and yeah, it's trash, all I can say is, it's just text on a screen, you know you're better than whatever text on a screen can be thrown at you, I don't let them win by dropping out, I stay in coz it pees em off more LMAO, they'd love to win by forcing me out, well it ain't gonna happen, I might have periods where I go quiet for a while, but never permanently out, I have too much self respect, humbleness, and pride to let them win. If you enjoy putting your points across, then keep doing it, many of us like reading your comments. Keep your chin up and head high, and keep supporting the mighty whites and continue to show your love for the Greatest club in the entire feckin universe, yours and so many others support are I'm sure extremely appreciated 👍

Hiya Clive.
    Thank you for the positive words of encouragement for Totty and great to hear from you.

I stopped from forum activity to allow my daughter Totty in as she actively helps the FSA in Disability rights issues for football fans.
    So yes it would be a shame for her leave the forum for many genuine reasons but everyone has limits.

Many football fans folk actually contact Totty on this forum by the personal messages option regarding their own mental illness battles just to chat on experiences. So I can assure you she will not walk away from that remit or indeed as a contributor.

Correctly used Forums are great places to share.
    I was an active member on many LUFC forums also basically to engage with match going fans as I was a FSA rep but most forums now have less fans attending games so less issues raised to deal with direct so I use that spare time allocated into translating for Football Supporters Europe (FSE) which certainly gives many insights into the game.
    So keep posting Clive !

Heya Clive - hope all is well. Good post 👍

Thanks Mrs O, will do, I ain't going anywhere!!

Hey hope! Unfortunately 2024 has been the worst for me

Started with a chest infection, then my grandma passing away, then being 90% sure I'm losing my job at the end of this month, and 2 of my pc monitors breaking, then on the day of receiving my new ones, one breaks straight away, so waiting for a replacement to be delivered.

That's all in the first month of 2024 and we ain't even at the end of the month yet

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)