+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swindon

Swindon

Well, I've read lots of people's opinions and it seems we're guaranteed a win against Swindon. After all, they've just lost the scorers of the vast majority of their goals, haven't they? However, people need to remember how tired and dilapidated the Alex are at the moment. Consensus seems to suggest that Leigh won't be starting and so it will be the same people who struggled valiantly to win in the last two games. Now, a fantastic team spirit is one thing but the body can only take so much and pretty soon some of those bodies are going to start breaking down, perhaps into longer-term injuries.
    At least, for this match, there will be 2 'new' bodies on the bench - both midfielders, in Leigh and Colkett so, perhaps, someone can have a rest after 60 or 70 minutes.
    What formation will we play? It has been suggested we revert to 4-3-3 with Offord continuing to push into the midfield. If that was the case, who would the front 3 be? Obviously, if fit, Long is an automatic starter. But then we have two either/ors, Tracey or Rowe and CBR or Nev.
    In terms of the former pair, it has to be said that Tracey has been a deadweight recently. He's lost either inclination or confidence, possibly both to beat his man. However, the only way to get those things back is by putting him into the team with a firm instruction to beat the fullback. Rowe, on the other hand, rarely does the job of an outright winger and sometimes 'disappears' further back. Yet Rowe, when he tries it, has got a shot on him and could score.
    As for the other pair, CBR has been brilliant recently, but at the other end of the pitch. He has been carrying out his defensive duties like a natural. Unfortunately the same can't be said up front. He must be having a few restless nights about his striking performance against Mansfield having wasted 3 good chances including one sitter.
    Nev, in contrast, is a workhorse all over the pitch, who, while technically not outstanding, always puts in a shift.
    So, for Swindon, against my gut feeling, I would start with Tracey with instructions to pressure their (obviously weak) defence from the off. As I don't expect the pressures of the Bradford and Mansfield games on our defence, I would start with Nev.
    Score? Well, I don't expect to get back to our scoring rhythm of earlier in the season but I do hope we can manage a couple. I don't expect a clean sheet though.
    So a 2-1 win.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Well, I've read lots of people's opinions and it seems we're guaranteed a win against Swindon. After all, they've just lost the scorers of the vast majority of their goals, haven't they? However, people need to remember how tired and dilapidated the Alex are at the moment. Consensus seems to suggest that Leigh won't be starting and so it will be the same people who struggled valiantly to win in the last two games. Now, a fantastic team spirit is one thing but the body can only take so much and pretty soon some of those bodies are going to start breaking down, perhaps into longer-term injuries.
    At least, for this match, there will be 2 'new' bodies on the bench - both midfielders, in Leigh and Colkett so, perhaps, someone can have a rest after 60 or 70 minutes.
    What formation will we play? It has been suggested we revert to 4-3-3 with Offord continuing to push into the midfield. If that was the case, who would the front 3 be? Obviously, if fit, Long is an automatic starter. But then we have two either/ors, Tracey or Rowe and CBR or Nev.
    In terms of the former pair, it has to be said that Tracey has been a deadweight recently. He's lost either inclination or confidence, possibly both to beat his man. However, the only way to get those things back is by putting him into the team with a firm instruction to beat the fullback. Rowe, on the other hand, rarely does the job of an outright winger and sometimes 'disappears' further back. Yet Rowe, when he tries it, has got a shot on him and could score.
    As for the other pair, CBR has been brilliant recently, but at the other end of the pitch. He has been carrying out his defensive duties like a natural. Unfortunately the same can't be said up front. He must be having a few restless nights about his striking performance against Mansfield having wasted 3 good chances including one sitter.
    Nev, in contrast, is a workhorse all over the pitch, who, while technically not outstanding, always puts in a shift.
    So, for Swindon, against my gut feeling, I would start with Tracey with instructions to pressure their (obviously weak) defence from the off. As I don't expect the pressures of the Bradford and Mansfield games on our defence, I would start with Nev.
    Score? Well, I don't expect to get back to our scoring rhythm of earlier in the season but I do hope we can manage a couple. I don't expect a clean sheet though.
    So a 2-1 win.
    I think that is a little unfair on Shilo Tracey. He has been soldiering on with an injury because of the lack of available numbers in the squad at the moment. That may have affected his confidence in beating his man. He needs a rest which he will get as players return from injury.
    Regarding additional signings, or lack of currently, I have no idea really but I am guessing it is not always as simple as "see player," sign player". All the ground work can be done between clubs only for the player to be less than eager to sign on the dotted line. Or it could be the club in question may be dithering while looking for a better opportunity for their player. Who knows. But I have no doubt our club are working hard to bring bodies in. I guess we just have to be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    I think that is a little unfair on Shilo Tracey. He has been soldiering on with an injury because of the lack of available numbers in the squad at the moment. That may have affected his confidence in beating his man. He needs a rest which he will get as players return from injury.
    Regarding additional signings, or lack of currently, I have no idea really but I am guessing it is not always as simple as "see player," sign player". All the ground work can be done between clubs only for the player to be less than eager to sign on the dotted line. Or it could be the club in question may be dithering while looking for a better opportunity for their player. Who knows. But I have no doubt our club are working hard to bring bodies in. I guess we just have to be patient.
    Also Swindon have several players who are playing when not 100% fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Is this replying to a different thread?

In the words of King Kev - 'I would love it' if we can keep a third clean-sheet 'on-the-spin'

1-0 to the Arsenalex

FGS AAron

Crowd 4321

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    In the words of King Kev - 'I would love it' if we can keep a third clean-sheet 'on-the-spin'

1-0 to the Arsenalex

FGS AAron

Crowd 4321
    If there ever was a game when we could really hammer a team, this is it. So I agree 1-0!

4300+ would be a decent turnout. Perhaps we could attract a bit more after 2 good wins and big gaps between home games.

65 yellows and 3 reds in 15 games. What chance the ref has a good game and nobody notices him???
    Also, any odds on proportion of dissent yellows to those for bad fouls?

Hard work, graft and effort got us 3 points today. Gotta get used to using those type of words about a Crewe side. When the football doesn't flow, it's what's making the difference. Just a point...5 out of the fluid back 6 are Academy grads. Where would we be without it!!

[QUOTE=whosbrianwilson;40427577. Just a point...5 out of the fluid back 6 are Academy grads. Where would we be without it!![/QUOTE]
    Wash your mouth out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast