+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: St Mirren

I'm not really sure where to start with a lot of the comments. However, if you want a comment Jardi..........from what I'm reading you're suggesting a guy with , what I believe, doesn't have the biggest interest in football or is rarely in the town to simply hand over £5m of his own money for very little (or nothing) in return. An admirable ask, I'll give you that, but a very remote pipe dream.

£5 million or so to help boost his local football team and bolster his home town would be a mere drop in the Ocean for someone like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Threefivetwo View Post
    I'm not really sure where to start with a lot of the comments. However, if you want a comment Jardi..........from what I'm reading you're suggesting a guy with , what I believe, doesn't have the biggest interest in football or is rarely in the town to simply hand over £5m of his own money for very little (or nothing) in return. An admirable ask, I'll give you that, but a very remote pipe dream.
    Afternoon Threefivetwo, - you don't know where to start? Well who else do you suggest might be able to assist their home team? Some people on this board believe that the BOD can manage it, - its simply not possible.

I'm pretty certain that Adam has no interest in Queen of the South, - and he has every right to have no interest, - however, it's worth one of his friends asking him the question.

£5 million might not be a drop in the ocean, even to someone like him, but it could come with caveats, - renaming Palmerston the Calvin Harris stadium for example, - with annual 'free' concerts (ie no costs to Calvin's management team) every summer for let's say 3 or 5 years?

That might be a fairly 'attractive' proposition for someone with little or no interest in football, - he gets his name plastered all over the place, thus raising his profile even further, (not that he needs it) - plus he has a no cost bonus for concerts every summer, - simply turning up and doing the job.

Benefits to CH are minimal in the big scheme of things, - but the benefit to Queen of the South and Dumfries would be almost incalculable.

Now, - if we add in the amazing community work that Queen of the South and Dan Armstrong perform across one of the most deprived areas in Scotland, - assisting kids with breakfast clubs, food hubs, and the rest, - that just might appeal to a rich and famous person, - giving something back to the community he was brought up in.

That's the carrot that just might draw him in.

It would be worth Dan compiling a list of all that is done for Dumfries, - and then for one of Adam's friends to say, "take a look at what is happening at QOS, - would you fancy helping them out even more?"

Now, should CH take up the gauntlet, - the media frenzy surrounding him would be unbelievable and all of a sudden his benefits would be incalculable as the entire world worships him as a new Messiah, - caring for the poor and the sick.

That's a win/win situation that benefits CH and QOS, - but more importantly, - brings huge benefits to the town and the wider area.

Take the concerts for example, - 10% of the ticket price could go to the QOS Community Trust, - further benefitting the deprived, and allowing Queens to apply for match funding grants.

In todays financial climate, I'd suggest it is fairly careless to claim £5m is a drop in the ocean for anyone. For a proper diehard fan, that may not be the case, but I'd still be extremely doubtful.

Good afternoon Jardi. Thanks for the extensive response. I'm convinced that he is not sitting in one of his sun-drenched mansions thinking of how he would get the best out of Cammy Logan and Harvey Walker.

Football is one of the very few businesses in the world that these owners make zero or very little money from therefore it takes someone of extraordinary wealth or someone with total commitment to the club to become such a substantial benefactor. I don't see a few concerts (for a man who will have very few dates in his diary) and the renaming of the stadium as the Calvin Harris Dome rushing to a plane.

Like all others I agree with the state of the club and also the good work Dan carries out daily.

I've zero interest in hearing from the board in the same way I don't hear from or want to hear from Sheikh Mansour, Dermot Desmond or Jim Radcliffe however they must be subsidising wages given the size of crowds and the amount of £18 season tickets in play.

For me the revolution starts with the players and management doing their job properly.

Threefivetwo, - thank you for your considered response, and your understanding that the BOD are clearly subsidising the club. I also agree that the players and manager could do more, - if only because each and every one of us could 'do more.'

As for the 'revolution,' it would be dubious if increasing their effort levels alone would result in any sort of revolution.

For me, - the only chance of a major change is either through turning part time, selling the land, - or from a benefactor.

Even if Calvin Harris has zero interest in the club, - he may be persuaded that he could literally revolutionise the lives of many people in Dumfries and Galloway through his investment, - because of the amazing work of the QOS Trust. To be fair he could do that anywhere in the world, - be it street children in south America, - or stray dogs and cats in Ibiza, - but there is something immensely satisfying (I believe) for a Doonhamer born and bred to be able to literally 'pave the streets with gold,' - especially as he is fully aware of how tough life is/was here.

I'm just scratching the surface of what the level of benefit could be to Dumfries and the wider region from his investment (any investment), - but we should not shy away from asking him now. At the end of the day, - the worst he can say is "no."

Dumfries has a habit of making the most of famous people once they are dead, - think JM Barrie and Robert Burns, - we should be absolutely screaming that he was born here and naming the stadium after him, - bringing untold riches to the club and the wider community.

I'll guarantee that any other town or city in the country would give their eye teeth to have Calvin Harris as one of their own, - and their football club would be straight in there asking politely if there was any chance of some sort of investment for naming rights.

I've hopefully sown a seed, - perhaps we can ask Dan to list what the QOS Trust does, - and then one of Adam's friends could get in touch with him and alert him to the valuable work going on.

Having all the information at your fingertips is invaluable and allows a person to make a proper decision based on facts and benefits, - rather than a derogatory "give me some money, - because you have a lot."

I don't really want to become embroiled in an argument regarding the perceived social ills in the town as this is a football chat. Forgive me if I've picked you up wrong but you mentioned how tough life was/is here. There are significant populations elsewhere in the world that would disagree with you.

We live in a town with a low crime rate, good socio and living conditions, in my opinion decent people, low cost of living in comparative terms. I could go on and on. I know people have a tendency to criticise their home town but it's not bad here at all (apart from the football team).

Quote Originally Posted by Threefivetwo View Post
    I don't really want to become embroiled in an argument regarding the perceived social ills in the town as this is a football chat. Forgive me if I've picked you up wrong but you mentioned how tough life was/is here. There are significant populations elsewhere in the world that would disagree with you.

We live in a town with a low crime rate, good socio and living conditions, in my opinion decent people, low cost of living in comparative terms. I could go on and on. I know people have a tendency to criticise their home town but it's not bad here at all (apart from the football team).
    There are lots of good things about Dumfries and the wider region, - but we suffer from a severe lack of jobs, - which will never return in terms of factories, - so we need to think outside the box with regards to growth, - hence why potentially capitalising on a local success story is such a massive opportunity.

The spin-offs that could occur from Calvin Harris making a donation would be incalculable, - but there must be a case for him to consider it, - if he has no interest in football. There is a lot of poverty in D&G, drug and alcohol abuse, - I could go on, - but it doesn't hit the headlines, - like for example Dundee, - because our population is so low.

Anyway, - I've taken this as far as I have time at the moment. If no-one thinks its a 'goer,' - then park it.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Therein lieth the problem. Too many people who moan about the inadequacies of the club, but are unwilling to attend games.
    Falkirk, the same size of town as Dumfries, has languished in the 3rd tier for 5 seasons, but average home gates were always 4000. Even half that number would make Queens a viable club, but without the BOD keeping the club afloat, there would be no QOS.
    The solution is not simply throwing money at the problem, it may be, as some have suggested, to attract better players by going part time. Having an attractive offering will encourage people to turn out for games, thus allowing for further investment.
    The alternative, and let's be brutally honest is to sell Palmerston for housing and create a new stadium.
    Anathema I agree, but unless Calvin Harris suddenly becomes a Queens supporter and hands over five million to build a new stand, sort out the rest of the stadium, leaving a million over 3 years to invest in the team, then we have no alternative.
    It might be worth someone who knows him to ask the question, then we'll all be 100% sure, but I think we all know the answer.
    If he had any passion for his home town, he'd have persuaded his management team to switch his Glasgow gig to Dumfries. .....and yes over 2 days like the kids gig that attracts 40 000.
    So let the debate commence.
    Is anathema another dj I haven’t heard of

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Is anathema another dj I haven’t heard of
    Naw Fatfan, - he does 'garage.'

Not trying to knock the passion or indeed ideas out of your head Jardi. Just an honest opinion from me, and that's all it is, that he won't be interested in QoS. Regardless of his net worth, effectively throwing a substantial amount of money metaphorically down the drain won't appeal to anyone, even the wealthy. As I say, I may well be wrong and he's currently on a private jet destined for the CH arena with a spanner in hand to finally give us hot water.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)