+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clowes investment in The Rams

Clowes investment in The Rams

Clowes Developments accounts show they paid £13m for The Rams (and a quid for the stadium), and have lost a further £6m plus in the first nine months since ownership. There’s plenty of moaning in here about ‘the rich’ but if David Clowes wasn’t rich we’d be trudging up to Mickleover Sports for our fix, so good for him for his entreprenurial spirit, good for him for what he did/is doing for the club and community, and if he sells on for a mind boggling profit in due course good for him then too.

Still a God to me

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Clowes Developments accounts show they paid £13m for The Rams (and a quid for the stadium), and have lost a further £6m plus in the first nine months since ownership. There’s plenty of moaning in here about ‘the rich’ but if David Clowes wasn’t rich we’d be trudging up to Mickleover Sports for our fix, so good for him for his entreprenurial spirit, good for him for what he did/is doing for the club and community, and if he sells on for a mind boggling profit in due course good for him then too.

Still a God to me
    I've seen different reports on the stadium, said 22 million in one but he did buy it before the club as was going to rent it to whomever took over.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Still a God to me
    Not exactly a ‘God’ to me...but we should indeed feel grateful.

Like to know what the ‘accountancy minded’ amongst us make of it all. One figure that stood out was that, at the time of the takeover, the whole squad was valued at £3.3 million whereas now we have one player valued well in excess of that. The article in the DT also stressed the financial importance of getting promotion this season and while the loss of £6m sounds massive to the likes of most of us on here it may represent ‘peanuts’, for all I know, in terms of football club ownership.

Informed thoughts?

6m is 6m in everyone's currency, but who has lost it? Is it a loss to Clowes Developments? At the time he reportedly paid 20m - was this the 13 and the anticipated 6 in losses? I'll wait till I see DCFC accounts before drawing any conclusions

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    6m is 6m in everyone's currency
    Is it though? This is obviously your area of expertise and my area of ignorance, but research suggests that 66% of EFL clubs are operating at a loss and that the average annual loss amongst Championship clubs is £15m.
    That all backs up the theory that owning a football club is the fastest way to lose a fortune...but by those standards we don’t seem to be doing too horribly especially as those figures presumably include the acquisition of all the players we needed to make us viable at the beginning of Mr. Clowes’ reign.

I'm keeping my powder dry until see DCFC accounts

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I'm keeping my powder dry until see DCFC accounts
    Fair enough...very wise.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Fair enough...very wise.
    Although I am/was an accountant (I no longer pay the king's ransom to retain my 'letters') I'd sooner GP comment from a beancounter view, I'm reacting as a fan

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Not exactly a ‘God’ to me...but we should indeed feel grateful.

Like to know what the ‘accountancy minded’ amongst us make of it all. One figure that stood out was that, at the time of the takeover, the whole squad was valued at £3.3 million whereas now we have one player valued well in excess of that. The article in the DT also stressed the financial importance of getting promotion this season and while the loss of £6m sounds massive to the likes of most of us on here it may represent ‘peanuts’, for all I know, in terms of football club ownership.

Informed thoughts?
    Actually it was a comment by a fan which suggested promotion this season was of financial importance. To which the answer is, maybe or maybe not, given there may be higher revenues but against that higher costs as better quality players are bought along with higher wages, so its not a one way street and may even be slightly negative.

The overall cost to Clowes was £54 million, because in addition to the £13.5 million to buy the club and the £19.8 million to pay off creditors, Clowes bought the stadium off MSD for £22 million in a separate transaction.

Obviously Clowes is doing all this through a company, but nevertheless he has an continues to spend millions on Derby a point worth noting when claiming that the attendances should justify paying a transfer fee for a player.!!

By the way it is estimated that putting Derby into administration and the subsequent deal with Clowes cost Mel Morris £250 million!!
    Last edited by swaledale; 21-01-2024 at 09:51 PM.

Almost what I was going to say except for the reference to MSD. They didn't own the stadium but MM had borrowed £22M using the stadium as collateral. It is my understanding that MM sold the stadium to DC for £1 on the proviso that DC cleared the MSD debt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)