+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bartley

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    There’s a good chance of us losing on Sunday anyway, (would love to believe differently) just because it’s the old enemy doesn’t mean we will roll over a decent Prem team. I’m not going to get worked up over team selection. Leave it to the gaffer.

Bristol City beat West Ham with their strongest team so no reason why we couldn’t do the same to Wolves if CC plays the best team. Anything less will be a p iss take to all those spending a lot of money going to the game. Nobody minds losing if their best team available has a decent go but not with the reserves or pub players like Adam Reach.

Let’s hope Dike comes out of cotton wool soon too as he’s either fit or he’s not!

I certainly wouldn’t want to drive 5 hours and spend 100 quid unless CC takes this seriously. We won’t go up as that’s a pipe dream so beating Wolves will be a highlight to many.

The gaffer has got the best out of Bartley no doubt. But the gaffer somehow gets the best out of most of them. Kipre and Mowatt were failures for the two previous managers and out the door until Carlos brought them back from the dead.

Bartley for me had his best games under Sam and Carlos of late. Other than that, he has wavered from having the odd good game to diabolical. Our last promotion Year he was shocking and was shocking until Carlos’s game along.

Tricky one depending on your perspective. While Bartley has done well for the most part this season he should never have been recruited in the first place given our then desire to play out from the back.

I've no doubt he's prepared to stick his face and or body in the way of the ball but across the length of his contract then in my opinion he's delivered less than we've paid overall.

With that in mind I'd be tempted to thank him for his services and wish him the best with Luton provided we can at least replace him with a younger version of what we're losing if Carlos isn't confident with Taylor's current progression.

I suppose it depends on Taylor's progression and whether Carlos thinks Kelly can cover him. That or whether he has faith in Pearce's ability to source a decent replacement with our available resources.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't......

As a caveat a lot also depends on our tactics for the rest of the season and whether any replacement has the wherewithal to gel with what Carlos wants.

There have to be sales apparently to keep the lights on. But we also are well placed for the play offs. We have a decent chance of getting promoted through the play offs too with Carlos. I’m only excited by this because of the cash not because we have any chance of staying up. It’s still about survival.

Squads threadbare as it is, loosing anyone without a replacement lined up weakens is and our play off hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    There have to be sales apparently to keep the lights on. But we also are well placed for the play offs. We have a decent chance of getting promoted through the play offs too with Carlos. I’m only excited by this because of the cash not because we have any chance of staying up. It’s still about survival.
    From the business point of view, Lai may well stall for as long as he can. If even a sniff of promotion is on the horizon you can kiss goodbye to a quick sale and investment.
    Strange to say but staying here in this division is most likely going to lead to a quicker sale of the club.

Whilst not being an advocate of Bartley (!) I readily acknowledge his heading prowess and indeed commitment when going for the ball. He is clearly out of his depth and subject to error, when playing out from the back. I also accept he has had to endeavour to adapt to this CC style.
    I consider he is positionally poor, and as a result is found wanting, resulting in more pointing and apportioning of blame elsewhere.
    He has had a decent run of games, but I would prefer both AJ and Kipper in preference, not least for their better attacking prowess.
    Notwithstanding my views, I do wish him all the best should be successfully transferred.
    Wouldn’t it be awful if we all had the same views ? !

Quote Originally Posted by Prando View Post
    Whilst not being an advocate of Bartley (!) I readily acknowledge his heading prowess and indeed commitment when going for the ball. He is clearly out of his depth and subject to error, when playing out from the back. I also accept he has had to endeavour to adapt to this CC style.
    I consider he is positionally poor, and as a result is found wanting, resulting in more pointing and apportioning of blame elsewhere.
    He has had a decent run of games, but I would prefer both AJ and Kipper in preference, not least for their better attacking prowess.
    Notwithstanding my views, I do wish him all the best should be successfully transferred.
    Wouldn’t it be awful if we all had the same views ? !

Good post Prando and yes it would be awful if we had the same views. AJ is the better option for the future and if he could out out the lapses he would be a better player. Bartley has been decent of late which most likely disguises his short comings. Still feel we lack a striker who is ruthless in front of goal where in the defence there are options.

We can mostly agree Reach is consistently poor though 😭

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    The gaffer has got the best out of Bartley no doubt. But the gaffer somehow gets the best out of most of them. Kipre and Mowatt were failures for the two previous managers and out the door until Carlos brought them back from the dead.

Bartley for me had his best games under Sam and Carlos of late. Other than that, he has wavered from having the odd good game to diabolical. Our last promotion Year he was shocking and was shocking until Carlos’s game along.
    For me, Bartley is a decent defender and needs a solid base in front of him to get the best out of him. He gets that in a Carlos team and set up. He didn't get that under previous managers.

He actually reminds me a little of Lescott. He was decent for us, because we played deep and he had Yacob and Mulumbu in front of him. Then he went to Villa who played a high line with no holding midfield protection and looked awful and got relegated. The same player, just in different team with a different system. I think the same applies to Bartley under Carlos compared to Bruce/Ismael.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)