+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Next manager

The problem is there is no one at the club who has the experience or expertise to appoint a football manager so it will probably be discussed with the fmb and Cormack will decide.

He really needs to get rid of Steven Gunn as well. He isn’t up to the job at all and no decent manager is going to want to come in and work alongside him.

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    The problem is there is no one at the club who has the experience or expertise to appoint a football manager so it will probably be discussed with the fmb and Cormack will decide.

He really needs to get rid of Steven Gunn as well. He isn’t up to the job at all and no decent manager is going to want to come in and work alongside him.
    Having the likes of Gunn being in an influential position at the club is the kind of decisions that has done Cormack in as a chairman. Being sat right beside Stewart Milne at every opportunity is another ridiculous thing that doesn’t win him any favours. Is there a need for Alan Burrows…i certainly don’t see why.
    These guys bring absolutely nothing to improve us as a football force. We continue to be the laughing stock of Scottish football.

As has said by others, it's time for Cormack to take a back seat in any manager selection. He has appointed Burrows and Gunn for a reason and unless Gunn gets the bullet too (can't see it happening) then the ultimate decision should rest with them, Burrows especially.

I thought it was a masterstroke landing Burrows at the time and I'm sure he's done a lot of good things since his appointment but this is the one he will be judged on, there can be no stone left unturned, no "data" left untapped in the search for a manager that ticks the boxes that the average supporter is looking for.

We tried the Glass experiment, we tried Goodwin who had a reasonable knowledge of Scottish football and had managed in the country for a few years and finally we tried Robson when ultimately he earned the chance due to his interim heroics.

This time we HAVE to spend big (for us) on a manager that has a proven track record, has no affinity or desire to be loved by the cheeks, can put players on the park that can entertain AND produce results at the same time, can understand that this appointment can be a massive feather in their cap if they are successful and can further their career here.

This league is the poorest it's been for some time, even the cheeks are poor compared to previous years, still light years ahead of the rest obviously but there is no reason that an Aberdeen team managed correctly can't cement ourselves as best of the rest. There is scope for group stages of Europe every year, cup success and hero status for the right man, only time will tell if AFC finally get their heads out their asses and find them.

A manager with proven experience who has a decent record in getting the best out of a team on a relatively limited budget and that has his teams playing attractive football.

That's all I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddusted View Post
    A manager with proven experience who has a decent record in getting the best out of a team on a relatively limited budget and that has his teams playing attractive football.

That's all I ask.
    Limited in the sense of world football certainly but when you've got arguably the 3rd biggest budget in any given league and fancy dan training facilities then it shouldn't be out with the realms of possibilities to get the best out of a team results wise and play attractive football.

All of our previous managers were able, sadly on too few occasions, to get attractive football WITH results so if we succeed in attracting a manager with far greater experience then hopefully they can turn those few occasions into the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by ZakkTheMakk View Post
    Limited in the sense of world football certainly but when you've got arguably the 3rd biggest budget in any given league and fancy dan training facilities then it shouldn't be out with the realms of possibilities to get the best out of a team results wise and play attractive football.
    Yes and yes.

All of our previous managers were able, sadly on too few occasions, to get attractive football WITH results so if we succeed in attracting a manager with far greater experience then hopefully they can turn those few occasions into the norm.
    Did Alex Miller ever have us playing attractive football?!

Yes and yes.

Did Alex Miller ever have us playing attractive football?!
    I was talking in reference to managers under Cormack, if you're having to go back to Alex Miller over 25 years ago to make a point then it kinda falls flat on it's face.

I was talking in reference to managers under Cormack, if you're having to go back to Alex Miller over 25 years ago to make a point then it kinda falls flat on it's face.
    That's okay. I just thought you meant ALL managers.

I was making any point, I simply couldn't remember any highlights from his stint.
    ovmv

That's okay. I just thought you meant ALL managers.

I was making any point, I simply couldn't remember any highlights from his stint.
    ovmv
    No problem, I've thankfully managed to erase those years from my memory so wouldn't be surprised if in actual fact there weren't any highlights at all.

Just listened to the Scottish Football Podcast and Tom English was mentioning that managers would be hesitant to take over the hotseat at Aberdeen due to managers not being backed if things don't go well immediately, what absolute tripe! Robson was given far longer than he should have, it was apparent ages ago that he wasn't the right man for the job. I'd go as far back as Oct when dissenting voices were being heard consistently but it takes until almost Feb before he got his jotters. Goodwin was another that outlasted what he should have, the run after the World Cup was horrendous and to survive Hearts at the tail end of it, followed by Darvel AND THEN Hibs shows he was given time. Glass I feel was the only one that never got to see out his full plans for the club, Cormack shat the bed early on with that appointment but for there to be this narrative that we fire managers too soon and don't give them a chance to correct mistakes is nonsense.

Warnock till the summer please. I’d crack open the popcorn for that.

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast