+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cambridge v Burton 1963.

Cambridge v Burton 1963.

Walking across Petersfield to South street from St Albans on a tuesday afternoon, i would wonder if a game was on, i was about 5 or 6. One Tuesday we played Burton, Burton were near or bottom of the southern league, whipping boys for years, United won 4-0.

Magic night, lights on, easy win, i stood in the habbin by the exit next to the supporters club, the view of the kop was goal was excellent. Becks march up the leagues wasnt new, United were embarking on a rapid rise.

How things change, half the ground remains unchanged from 1963. Its not about football anymore, it was back then, now its about politics, corruption, and providing social services, all at once now . Oh, and criminality, game reciepts etc.

Shame. Oh, and its a five a side game now, played by pansies, in the old days a sliding tackle in the wet was a joy, tackling from behind, barging, even the keeper, bloodied knees, cuts and bruises from every game, giving 100 per cent.

Football now is not worth a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post

Shame. Oh, and its a five a side game now, played by pansies, in the old days a sliding tackle in the wet was a joy, tackling from behind, barging, even the keeper, bloodied knees, cuts and bruises from every game, giving 100 % .
    I’ve got to agree with you on this one Frank,the glory days of physical football are long gone and never to return,maybe one day in the future there will be some underground games organised much like there’s underground bare knuckle boxing match’s today,the rolling around in agony and clutching their leg whenever somebody gets even remotely close irritates me no end as it’s cheating,VAR has slowed the game to a snails pace,there’s no spontaneous cheering and jumping when a goal has been scored in top flight football and instead every one just looks to see if the ref is going over to the screen or not,it’s killing the game,football fans of the future will never know what they missed out on

The game is fixed in favour od attacking football, the spectaors watch all the goals flow in.

So do the defenders, they stand and watch too, tackling is not allowed. When i came off the pitch i had cuts and bruises, it was combat, if you didnt get hurt you were not trying, and in getting hurt you were proving your toughness, masculinity, not allowed now in our female society.

Most of the injuries today are fake. Robin Hardy, a United midfielder defender played v Notts co in our first season in the league, we had to win to have a chance of staying up, we won 3-2, a brillant game, Hately played for you.

He played with a hamstring injury, and came off before the end, ive had those one bad, its nasty. A proper man.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post

Most of the injuries today are fake. Robin Hardy, a United midfielder defender played v Notts co in our first season in the league, we had to win to have a chance of staying up, we won 3-2, a brillant game, Hately played for you.

It just goes as you can misinterpret something,when you said that Hately played for you i thought that you meant he played for Notts which had me searching for him as it was a name that I was unfamiliar with

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)