+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Barrow FC 27.01.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    We've signed four players if you include Macari joining permanently, but I wouldn't be surprised if we add one more.

Truth be told we're not ready for League One yet - we're still learning about League Two.

If we make the play-offs then of course we'll have a bash, but I think we would be better served following the Stockport route of taking a season to adapt to this level and then look to go again. We don't want to go up, get battered and return in the condition Forest Green are in. As frustrating as it was to spend three seasons bashing our heads against the ceiling of the National League, I think the fact that we did, before eventually storming to promotion in style, made us much more 'ready' for this level.

If you're Wrexham you can get promoted and simply buy a new team for League One, but I see our best path being one of more gradual evolution, because we haven't got enough money for revolution. Few clubs at this level have.
    This is exactly where I’m at and have posted similar previously. I hope we can continue to remain in the playoffs and have a playoff campaign at the end of the season. However if we don’t it will not be the end of the world.

We are doing well for our first season back. Stockport are in season two, Wrexham have been a league one ready team since last season, Mansfield have taken three/four seasons and so have Barrow. The table never lies and we are not quite there. We all know why and that’s because we concede too many goals. Address this in the coming months and over the summer and we could be automatic promotion contenders next season if we don’t go up this season.

It’s gradual improvement season on season at Notts and is how the club operates which people should know by now. I don’t expect us to go splashing money in the next couple of days either chasing Stockport, Wrexham and Mansfield as I’ve said on here before.

If anything for us the summer will be one where there could be some moulding of the squad as some will be out of contact and a better choice of player will be available.

As for the family silver being sold off at the end of the day the likes of Langstaff are under contract so ultimately like Luke Williams if the club receives an offer and likewise Langstadd receives a life changing offer then who can begrudge anyone that. But for now Langstaff is a Notts player and we should enjoy him while we can.

Quote Originally Posted by SinceSept1959 View Post
    It will be very interesting on Saturday , Salford City v Wrexham.
    Today's match official is due to take charge of that fixture !
    The ex MLS official (237 games ) didn't make a good impression last Saturday.
    Be interesting how it goes with Hollywood FC and Karl Robinson the Ammies boss.
    Someone there will be seeing red one was or another 🫣
    Do you think the Ref might be trying to impress his American friends !??

That could well be a possibility !
    This official has been active in the EFL since December 2023.
    IMHO he needs a transition / induction to acclimatise to the change and a spell in the NPL /SPL and National League would have been beneficial.
    Perhaps a reciprocal exchange would be a good idea ?
    I wonder which referee would be the fans' choice for MLS duty ?

That could well be a possibility !
    This official has been active in the EFL since December 2023.
    IMHO he needs a transition / induction to acclimatise to the change and a spell in the NPL /SPL and National League would have been beneficial.
    Perhaps a reciprocal exchange would be a good idea ?
    I wonder which referee would be the fans' choice for MLS duty ?
    He didn't impress my friend from Michigan who flew in for the match (he had been watching Welcome to Wrexham and wanted to see us as a result). He thought the ref missed loads and wasn't brave enough. His whole family is involved at playing and officiating at state level, so he knows his stuff. He felt that he let Barrow get away with a lot that he could have stopped, and the penalty... definite red. So it was a definite unimpressed from him.

He went home with a scarf, training top and referring to us a 'we' and Wrexham as 'them'. A firm convert. He is looking forward to bragging rights over his friend in a couple of weeks!! He was impressed with how we played, and felt that if that was a bad showing, on our day we would be unstoppable. I tend to agree.

I wonder just how many new fans we picked up as a result of that Wrexham soap opera. I've seen quite a few comments on YouTube videos etc from Americans saying they started following us because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    I wonder just how many new fans we picked up as a result of that Wrexham soap opera. I've seen quite a few comments on YouTube videos etc from Americans saying they started following us because of that.
    Other than us going up into the Championship or Munto II, I can't imagine how we would have got more exposure than this. We must have picked up a fair few more fans paying for streams. That may not translate into serious cash, but longer term, who knows. There might be some new American fan out there who becomes seriously rich in 20 years time and buys us out. It's certainly not done us any harm and it would be a blow not to be in the same league as them next season, even more so if we lose touch with Stags as well, who probably help with the hype and interest at a more local level.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    There might be some new American fan out there who becomes seriously rich in 20 years time and buys us out.
    Or even sooner if it's Taylor Swift

I told my young grandson after 5 minutes the referee was weak and Barrow would exploit him.
    Agreed he missed many incidents , got the JJ incident all wrong and didn't add any time whatsoever despite numerous stoppages !
    I'm sure Karl Robinson will be up for it !

I told my young grandson after 5 minutes the referee was weak and Barrow would exploit him.
    Agreed he missed many incidents , got the JJ incident all wrong and didn't add any time whatsoever despite numerous stoppages !
    I'm sure Karl Robinson will be up for it !
    He doesn't decide on added time though!

Is that a fact these days , all down to the fourth official now ?
    Previously , prior to head set communication the ref used to go over to inform the benches.
    Either way who ever decided v Barrow was obviously wrong.
    In my time the stopwatch was stopped for injuries and cautions etc. The time difference between the 45 minute halves and the stopwatch was the calculated stoppages to be played /added..
    4 minutes total on Saturday was a distinctly under estimated.
    Much preferred the 3pm to 4.40 Saturdays and 7.30 pm to 9.10 games !

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast