+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Congratulations to Maidstone

Guess the FA must agree they were lucky and have punished them with a trip to Wednesday or Coventry.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    'We' ie I, prefer a world without VAR. There will come a time when there will BE no football at elite level, just VAR. Says someone who loves what Hawkeye has added to cricket. But there you go
    Fascinating comparison. Generally speaking I agree with you and I think Hawkeye has done more good than harm, although I’d have been gutted to have been given out by Hawkeye/‘Umpire’s decision’ when there was a major element of doubt. In comparison VAR seems to take so long but there were two bad/missed decisions in yesterday’s match between Ipswich and Maidstone and I suspect we’d all have been moaning had we gone out in similar circumstances.

Also, generally speaking, I feel technology is used better in cricket and both rugby codes than it is in football...and that is entirely down to human failings.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 28-01-2024 at 05:32 PM.

Rugby seems really professional with their VAR. I don't understand the game but when I saw it in a game I was impressed by how professional they came across

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Fascinating comparison. Generally speaking I agree with you and I think Hawkeye has done more good than harm, although I’d have been gutted to have been given out by Hawkeye/‘Umpire’s decision’ when there was a major element of doubt. In comparison VAR seems to take so long but there were two bad/missed decisions in yesterday’s match between Ipswich and Maidstone and I suspect we’d all have been moaning had we gone out in similar circumstances.

Also, generally speaking, I feel technology is used better in cricket and both rugby codes than it is in football...and that is entirely down to human failings.
    The reason why VAR works in cricket is because it has a well defined "umpires call" middle option. If that existed in football (a) refs would have to make a decision and (b) there would be no need to intensely study the fractions of a millimetre one way or the other in offside decisions.

We wouldn't see linesmen just not giving decisions and leaving it to tech Make the humans do their jobs and allow the team captain two VAR challenges per game. If they are right to challenge, they keep it, same as cricket.

Challenges unlikely to be overused for trivia, so game would move forward.

PS do stop going on about the injustice in the Ipswich game. VAR was not part of the game. I might as well complain that Norwich were unlucky to lose 5-2 at Liverpool because they should have been allowed 14 players on the pitch. That's not in the competition rules either

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    The reason why VAR works in cricket is because it has a well defined "umpires call" middle option. If that existed in football (a) refs would have to make a decision and (b) there would be no need to intensely study the fractions of a millimetre one way or the other in offside decisions.

We wouldn't see linesmen just not giving decisions and leaving it to tech Make the humans do their jobs and allow the team captain two VAR challenges per game. If they are right to challenge, they keep it, same as cricket.

Challenges unlikely to be overused for trivia, so game would move forward.

PS do stop going on about the injustice in the Ipswich game. VAR was not part of the game. I might as well complain that Norwich were unlucky to lose 5-2 at Liverpool because they should have been allowed 14 players on the pitch. That's not in the competition rules either
    C’mon GP, are you Swale in disguise? I’m hardly ‘going on about it’. It just interests me...we tend to be very critical of VAR, especially the time it sometimes takes to reach a decision, but now we have an example of a much lauded victory happening courtesy of VAR’s absence. I have no axe to grind at all and everybody loves an ‘underdog’...but at the end of the day we’ve all chosen to overlook two ‘clear and obvious’ refereeing errors because the ultimate outcome was a popular/romantic result.
    Only real question is...which system do you prefer?

I have seen the highlights now and its true the two incidents var may have corrected. I say may because we have seen time and again where var just gets it wrong, which is far less excusable than a ref getting it wrong in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    Rugby seems really professional with their VAR. I don't understand the game but when I saw it in a game I was impressed by how professional they came across
    Good as it is, the rugby review system (and treatment of scrums) has killed the atmosphere at many pro games I’ve been including tests. There’s just too much thumb twiddling time

I have seen the highlights now and its true the two incidents var may have corrected. I say may because we have seen time and again where var just gets it wrong, which is far less excusable than a ref getting it wrong in real time.
    That’s certainly true, but I only really mentioned it because we, as fans, have a decision to make. Do we want to moan about how long VAR can take to decide that a player’s nose/kneecap/little finger is ‘offside’ or do we want to moan about marginal but incorrect decisions like yesterday?
    Perhaps one useful change might be to only judge offside via where an attacking player’s front foot is and not worry about the rest of his body.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Good as it is, the rugby review system (and treatment of scrums) has killed the atmosphere at many pro games I’ve been including tests. There’s just too much thumb twiddling time
    Yeah, like I said I'm not a rugby fan. Though Var has a many similar examples. In my head if they can't see enough evidence in 30 seconds to overturn the onfield decision it's not clear and obvious.

Yeah, like I said I'm not a rugby fan. Though Var has a many similar examples. In my head if they can't see enough evidence in 30 seconds to overturn the onfield decision it's not clear and obvious.
    It seems that it works better in stop/start ‘set piece’ sports like cricket tennis and NFL and less so in free flowing sports like rugby and footy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)