+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stuart Interview

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    He said it twice. Respect the point. Alarm bells ringing?
    Considering how many games we've come away with zero points this season we'd be 10 points better off

And considering the transfer window is closing next week, he’s got a job on his hands to improve the team, stick or twist and I don’t envy him and on a personal note I thought it was a great point today.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I don’t know what it is but I can’t stand listening to him. Never mind respecting the point *shudder* (which is probably true at Wealdstone)….something just grates me about him, I don’t believe in him I think. I know it’s petty but the way he says “look….” before every sentence makes him unlistenable. Sorry Stuart, you seem like a good bloke, but I’ll be reading your interviews from now on.

Incredible.

I don’t know what it is but I can’t stand listening to him. Never mind respecting the point *shudder* (which is probably true at Wealdstone)….something just grates me about him, I don’t believe in him I think. I know it’s petty but the way he says “look….” before every sentence makes him unlistenable. Sorry Stuart, you seem like a good bloke, but I’ll be reading your interviews from now on.
    Just mad -give him a go at least or are we gearing up for the i told you so moment early doors. #fans

I don't like listening to that Erik ten Hag bloke, so I switch him off or turn the sound down...So I respectfully suggest you do the same with Mr Maynard...Mind I must admit constantly saying "look" did get up my nose a bit...

He's in a difficult position, he's got to come in quite friendly and mild at first due to the fact he's been pelted with questions from the media about being a part time manager/will he be able to step upto full-time /does he know what it'll be like to manage a team like Notts etc etc. Felt sorry for the guy. As ajojones says, he knows it won't take much for that to come out in the fanbase (that he can't handle it or it's too big for him) and he's got to tred carefully until it feels like his team and he's the proper manager. It's not easy following a loved and successful manager, man utd still are finding that out 11 years later.

Give the guy a break, he'll come into his own in interviews once he's settled.

These things are subjective I suppose, but I like what I've heard so far. He sounds articulate, warm, genuine and quite humble to me.

I must admit did laugh/cringe at the 'respect the point' line. I'm guessing it must be a mantra that's used either in Uefa or media training courses for managers, because it seems like a very specific and not entirely natural phrase that someone would just say off the top of their head. The sentiment is fine - a single point could be the difference between success and failure at the end of a season - but I preferred the Shankly way of expressing it: "Every game starts at 0-0... make sure it doesn't get any worse!"

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    He said it twice. Respect the point. Alarm bells ringing?
    Not for me, we've thrown points away this season like they don't matter. A touch of realism about not bowling teams over away from home especially is overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by ajojones View Post
    Just mad -give him a go at least or are we gearing up for the i told you so moment early doors. #fans
    Mmm not sure…I think if I read his comments instead of listening to them I’m less biased towards not liking him, because what he says is reasonable and makes sense!

I think he has a tough job on his hands to be honest. He came in at a difficult time with the team on the back of a difficult run of games with more tough games to come. Best player out injured and a bit of a defensive crisis. The players and fans all loved the previous manager who got us promoted and had us in the playoff places…..which Maynard is kind of expected to keep up. He’s never worked full time in football, never mind the EFL, and it will be all too easy for fans to find fault when, if, things start to go south.

Even silly things like ‘respecting the point’ will become a club with which to beat him over the head with….look at my own comments. If he can finish top half this season, whilst keeping the fans onside, and rebuild next year with his own stamp on things he will have done well.

You’re right though, I wasn’t keen on this appointment, especially at this time, but I’ll try to be fair in my assessments of him from now on. But look, I won’t be listening to his interviews!

I wasn't going to say anything but seeing that the subject has been brought up and based on that post match interview alone, my first impressions are that he's very much more in the Ardley-Burch mould than LW and feels like a step backwards. Not to the point where I think he'll be a disaster, but lower end or just outside the play offs for the next 18 months with fans becoming increasingly frustrated (Some were already losing patience with LW for beginning to lose touch with the top 3).
    Size of the gates trumps the notion that we're overachieving after being out of tier 4 for so long. Wrexham are powering ahead whereas we're now falling away.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast