+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Charlton v Derby

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Sooner be an Eeyore than a Pooh
    he always says that!

Quote Originally Posted by SithHappens View Post
    For me it's not just what signings, it's also how fast we can get some of our injured players back. Fozzy first example is a big miss to me, and waghorn and Washington have both contributed early on and at very least provide competition and back up for Collins. Korey Smith was involved a lot too.

Plus getting nyambe back will be huge.

Plus, make sure we don't sell any key players too.

It would be nice to get at least one more key signing in but more important, for me, to get players back and provide greater options in selection and off the bench.

I hope MA hasn't left too.
    Yup, the players we can bring back from the sick bay are more likely to be of more value to us than any newcomers, and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Yup, the players we can bring back from the sick bay are more likely to be of more value to us than any newcomers, and cheaper.
    Well certainly ‘cheaper’…not necessarily of ‘more value’, AF. We have three injured strikers, two in all probability, long term so they’re of very limited value. See the DT is now suggesting our attention has shifted from Wednesday’s Smith towards Lee Gregory. Not sure what to make of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Well certainly ‘cheaper’…not necessarily of ‘more value’, AF. We have three injured strikers, two in all probability, long term so they’re of very limited value. See the DT is now suggesting our attention has shifted from Wednesday’s Smith towards Lee Gregory. Not sure what to make of that.
    2 days to find out I guess. We were always at risk of injuries damaging our season with such a thin squad, I'd like us to get a couple in to hopefully negate that, but we'll see!
    I've a feeling that we'll continue "by hook or crook", we've done amazing so far like that, whether we can get over the line or not is another question.
    Saturday: 1-0 to the Rams, a steal against the run of play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    2 days to find out I guess. We were always at risk of injuries damaging our season with such a thin squad, I'd like us to get a couple in to hopefully negate that, but we'll see!
    I've a feeling that we'll continue "by hook or crook", we've done amazing so far like that, whether we can get over the line or not is another question.
    Saturday: 1-0 to the Rams, a steal against the run of play.
    ‘Thin squad’? I think that’s the question, RS. Superficially, or on paper at least, we have a stronger squad - or certainly one with more cover - than last season, but the additions either don’t appear to be trusted, eg. Bradley and Fornah, or are injury prone - Waghorn, JJ, Washington, Ward and Elder.
    Would Lee Gregory be another example of the same mistake being made again? Last time we had him he looked promising but broke down after ten or eleven games never to reappear. Tbf, since his move to Wednesday, he’s made well over seventy L1 appearances and appeared to do well at our current level. At 35 it’s a risk that he’ll just become another addition to our list of older and injury prone strikers, but we certainly need someone between now and May to support/relieve Collins. LG should be ‘hungry’ and have a point to prove after having so few opportunities in the Championship…maybe worth a risk for the remainder of this season.

Not for me, but beggars can't be choosers. I'd sooner blood some of our youngsters rather than having a team full of older strikers. Build for the future, don't look for short term fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Not for me, but beggars can't be choosers. I'd sooner blood some of our youngsters rather than having a team full of older strikers. Build for the future, don't look for short term fixes.
    Agreed. I'd look to give young Weston some game time. however, I fear it's not the PW way.

Yep…seemed strange to ship Dajuane Brown out to Gateshead given our circumstances.

Good to see you back, MA.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Agreed. I'd look to give young Weston some game time. however, I fear it's not the PW way.
    Perhaps Warne fears a repeat of last seasons 'failure' which is perhaps understandable bearing in mind many fans remain unconvinced about him! He is stuck between a rock and hard place, blood youngsters and miss the play offs or go for tried and tested with the risk of more sick notes and miss the play offs!! Miss the play offs either way and we know who gets the blame.

Back to the thread title I reckon this ain't no walkover. Play the rubbish we have recently and a 2-1 defeat looms, get our mojo back and 3 pts will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    One assumes (and for the avoidance of doubt I am not having a "go") that these youngsters are monitored in training and u23 games, indeed some have played in what was the papa johns trophy, not sure if any strikers were though and have been judged by the coaching team not to be good enough?

I'd rather see a loan in of a good young striker, from a champ or prem club, but again the issue of how they would fare in the brutal game that is L1?

I fear we may do the derby way and kick start Charlton's season by losing unfortunately.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)