+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Same old

Same old

Another transfer window draws to a close and the tumbleweed still rolls down Harry Potts Way. New owners/investors but nothing much has changed as 'budget restrictions' leave Vinni little room to manoeuvre and we slide gently back into the Championship. Probsbly we will pick up a couple of players in the last minute trolley dash but we used to do that with Garlick and Dyche, wasn't it meant to be different under new ownership ? Four years of ALK and Mr Pace but apart from acquring a mountain of debt, and a new manager, nothing much else has changed.

Not sure what you're seeing Sinkov.

£100m spent on loads of young players in Summer. Likely a couple across the line in January...

Whether it's worked or not is another question, but surely you can't label it same old?

Vinny said it would be a quiet window.Its obvious that Pace and company are planning for our drop back to the championship ..Listening to Vinny speak he doesn't seem to phased by it either.
    Come to that neither am I..

I'm seeing TF exactly what we saw under Garlick, another transfer window passing us by and the weaknesses in the squad not being addressed with the manager shrugging his shoulders and saying he has no money to spend.

£100 million 'spent' last summer, but how much was actually spent ? Most of the deals, if not all of them, were on a deferred payment basis, with the actual payments spread over the length of the contracts. I have no idea how much cash we actually shelled out, but it was only a fraction of the £100 million reported.

We might get another couple across the line in the last 24 hours of the window, but that's my point, that's exactly as it used to be under Garlick. We still don't have a pot to piss in, there will be no serious investment in the squad, maybe just a bit of wheeling and dealing at the last minute, probably involving loans, options to buy and/or deferred payments.

If someone had been in hibernation for the last 4/5 years, woke up this morning and checked the latest transfer news, or lack of it, he would have no idea that we had a new manager and new owners, he'd assume Garlick and Dyche were still in situ because nothing has changed, this window has played out exactly the same as those under the previous ownership.

One thing has changed though, under Garlick we had £50 million in the bank, now we have god knows how much debt on the balance sheet, the financial situation is most certainly not same old, same old.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Vinny said it would be a quiet window.Its obvious that Pace and company are planning for our drop back to the championship ..Listening to Vinny speak he doesn't seem to phased by it either.
    Come to that neither am I..
    Vinni seems quite happy to go along with his employers MO Alfie, he might see the bigger picture, up to him, all I'm saying is that he now appears to be operating under the same constraints that Dyche did, with similar results, which leaves me wondering just how this is supposed to be better than under the previous regime. Looks very much same old, same old to me, if BT weren't on his jollies he'd be oiling and polishing the trolley ready for the annual last minute Trolley Dash for bargain players. I just hope he's left his garage key in a safe place then Vinni can pick it up tomorrow morning.

Compared to a 20/21 summer window of Dale Stephens? Come on...

Early business in January is pretty rare across the whole EPL.

Not really sure how the mention of Dale Stephens negates anything in my Post 4.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Another transfer window draws to a close and the tumbleweed still rolls down Harry Potts Way. New owners/investors but nothing much has changed as 'budget restrictions' leave Vinni little room to manoeuvre and we slide gently back into the Championship. Probsbly we will pick up a couple of players in the last minute trolley dash but we used to do that with Garlick and Dyche, wasn't it meant to be different under new ownership ? Four years of ALK and Mr Pace but apart from acquring a mountain of debt, and a new manager, nothing much else has changed.
    No amount of wheeler dealing would solve the problems within one window Sinkov.They know that and seem resigned to going down.Looks like as I predicted in October that Luton will be the only promoted team with a chance of survival.They are making a real go of it.Apparently Barkley running the show again.Why we did not have the nous to bring in a seasoned PL pro like Barkley is beyond me.
    Looks like I will be back to watching streams next year.
    Last edited by ClaretinBudapest; 30-01-2024 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    At least we'll have the VAR monkey off our backs, it's worth a relegation for that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaretinBudapest View Post
    No amount of wheeler dealing would solve the problems within one window Sinkov.They know that and seem resigned to going down.Looks like as I predicted in October that Luton will be the only promoted team with a chance of survival.They are making a real go of it.Apparently Barkley running the show again.Why we did not have the nous to bring in a seasoned PL pro like Barkley is beyond me.
    We’ve been down since before we kicked a ball ,last August. What I and 20,000 others don’t understand, is, why is no one bothered. ?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)