+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World ………. is it ???

It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World ………. is it ???

James Brown sang that.
    But I don’t think it is the case anymore.

We evolved as humans - so men’s attributes were singularly focused on using their strengths and masculine abilities to bring in the food.
    Women on the other hand evolved to be more aware what was immediately around them such as children running about and home making - and as such their vision is different to men’s.

Moving on to the present day.
    Most work now involves sitting infront of a computer and being aware of the immediate surroundings.
    This type of work suits women more than it suits men.
    I was a miner - I then went onto sit infront of a computer for years.
    But sat infront of a computer is not my type of work - I’m not academic - I’m a miner and will always be a miner.
    But where are there similar jobs to mining these days ???
    They’ve gone.

Millions of men are now trapped working in environments that just do not suit them - walking about in sterile warehouses or sat at a computer.
    Consequently we see men - especially young men that at one time would have been taking their aggression and frustrations out at the pit are now in this current era struggling to cope with life.
    Those young lads wouldn’t be weighed down with life if they were in physically hard work with a bunch of other similar minded fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    James Brown sang that.
    But I don’t think it is the case anymore.

We evolved as humans - so men’s attributes were singularly focused on using their strengths and masculine abilities to bring in the food.
    Women on the other hand evolved to be more aware what was immediately around them such as children running about and home making - and as such their vision is different to men’s.

Moving on to the present day.
    Most work now involves sitting infront of a computer and being aware of the immediate surroundings.
    This type of work suits women more than it suits men.
    I was a miner - I then went onto sit infront of a computer for years.
    But sat infront of a computer is not my type of work - I’m not academic - I’m a miner and will always be a miner.
    But where are there similar jobs to mining these days ???
    They’ve gone.

Millions of men are now trapped working in environments that just do not suit them - walking about in sterile warehouses or sat at a computer.
    Consequently we see men - especially young men that at one time would have been taking their aggression and frustrations out at the pit are now in this current era struggling to cope with life.
    Those young lads wouldn’t be weighed down with life if they were in physically hard work with a bunch of other similar minded fellas.
    As ever YN plenty of assumptions going on there but very little real knowledge .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    As ever YN plenty of assumptions going on there but very little real knowledge .
    Yes it’s just my thoughts on the delicate matter.
    Mulling over more terrible news.
    We never used to have all this before.
    Not to my knowledge we didn’t.

So then - if your conclusion is that there is little real knowledge within my initial post - then by coming to that conclusion you must obviously be in possession of the facts on the subject ???

Yes it’s just my thoughts on the delicate matter.
    Mulling over more terrible news.
    We never used to have all this before.
    Not to my knowledge we didn’t.

So then - if your conclusion is that there is little real knowledge within my initial post - then by coming to that conclusion you must obviously be in possession of the facts on the subject ???
    Let's start with the assumption that warehouse workers don't do anything physical .

Apart from the fact many walk huge distances , in many cases several miles per shift , the work is tough , physical and very repetitive .

Didn't you get a lift to the pit face on a train YN and then catch one back ? .

I've got to say, you really do make me laugh sometimes Nudge (in a good way). What interest this thread is I'm not sure. But they are your thoughts and I respect that. And maybe you have some good points here. But to say that people who sit in front of computer screens have to be of an academic mind is rubbish. I'd class myself as an engineer as academic, anything scientific, research, mathematical, programming etc as other examples. But I bet more 'non-academic' workers sit in front of computer screens, and I'm thinking, warehouse workers, production controllers, emergency response co-ordinators, call centre staff, train drivers etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    I've got to say, you really do make me laugh sometimes Nudge (in a good way). What interest this thread is I'm not sure. But they are your thoughts and I respect that. And maybe you have some good points here. But to say that people who sit in front of computer screens have to be of an academic mind is rubbish. I'd class myself as an engineer as academic, anything scientific, research, mathematical, programming etc as other examples. But I bet more 'non-academic' workers sit in front of computer screens, and I'm thinking, warehouse workers, production controllers, emergency response co-ordinators, call centre staff, train drivers etc. etc.
    I believe YN is going down the back in the day macho man route Arby .

He seems to forget the cushy numbers at the pits along with the more physical and demanding work .

The fact that the advancements in technology have also contributed greatly to the workplace today and whilst in many cases the physical side may not be what it once was the mental demands have more than replaced them .

Call Centre work is also very mentally demanding .

I've worked in Warehouse and Distribution for the last 30 odd years and my body has had a beating , thankfully I've a role now more in keeping with a man of my age , which is just as well because I couldn't do what I once did .

Where he's going with " we didn't dwell on things in my day " I'm not certain .

That's because back in the day nobody dared talk about mental health for fear of ridicule .

Thankfully things have moved on from those dinosaur years .

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    I suppose I’m talking about physical work as a team - as they were at the pit.
    I’m sure if local pits were open it would solve a lot of angst within young men.
    Theres definitely been a shift in mental wellbeing since the mines shut.

I’m not saying this applies to everyone of course and it sounds like the work you did suited you.

I’m sure if local pits were open it would solve a lot of angst within young men.

I’m not saying this applies to everyone of course and it sounds like the work you did suited you.
    The work I did was mentally demanding and stressful at times. As Animal has alluded to above, I'm certain that call centre work can also be very stressful. One academic one non-academic but both demanding in their own ways. Although I mainly worked alone and had a lot of responsibility, I still had other staff, from other disciplines, that were there as part of the team. They might not understand the work that I was doing but there was always someone there to speak to about any issues that I had. So I never really felt alone. Having said that, I would describe myself as mentally quite a strong person and I'm thankful for that. But I also recognise, and I saw this first hand a number of times, that other people aren't always mentally strong. That's just how life is. And I think it's always been the same, just as Animal says. So I don't think mental illness is a new thing, I just think that, thankfully, people can be more open and honest about it these days. The way that mental illness is viewed has changed dramatically over the last 15 or so years. That's a good thing. But I don't think the lack of or reduction in the physicality of work these days has had any influence on mental illness. Just my opinion based on my experience.

Well the pits were open in the 70's and 80's plus a load of other heavy industries .

So how do you explain the colossal amount of football hooliganism during those times ?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I believe YN is going down the back in the day macho man route Arby .

He seems to forget the cushy numbers at the pits along with the more physical and demanding work .

The fact that the advancements in technology have also contributed greatly to the workplace today and whilst in many cases the physical side may not be what it once was the mental demands have more than replaced them .

Call Centre work is also very mentally demanding .

I've worked in Warehouse and Distribution for the last 30 odd years and my body has had a beating , thankfully I've a role now more in keeping with a man of my age , which is just as well because I couldn't do what I once did .

Where he's going with " we didn't dwell on things in my day " I'm not certain .

That's because back in the day nobody dared talk about mental health for fear of ridicule .

Thankfully things have moved on from those dinosaur years .
    Agreed Animal, especially in terms of advancement in technology and mental demands being greater these days. Thinking can be as tiring as performing physical tasks. I've done plenty of physical work away from my day job, but like you, I'm thankful that I don't have to work doing physical tasks, such as brickwork, plastering or similar at my age now, because I would definitely struggle to do it week after week 😉

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast