+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It’s a Man’s Man’s Man’s World ………. is it ???

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Let's start with the assumption that warehouse workers don't do anything physical .

Apart from the fact many walk huge distances , in many cases several miles per shift , the work is tough , physical and very repetitive .

Didn't you get a lift to the pit face on a train YN and then catch one back ? .
    As a supermarket manager…. For 37 years….. who never had a desk to sit down at…
    I walked miles every day.
    I can back this up with data from one Christmas wheni walked on average 20 miles a day, lifting, dragging pallets 6ft highloaded with beer cases….
    No one took me to work, nor brought me back home to get showered……
    Albert Towned said to me once.
    “People put electric in the pipes….food in bellies…. Just same people…. Same value”

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    I suppose I’m talking about physical work as a team - as they were at the pit.
    I’m sure if local pits were open it would solve a lot of angst within young men.
    Theres definitely been a shift in mental wellbeing since the mines shut.

I’m not saying this applies to everyone of course and it sounds like the work you did suited you.
    I would solve a great deal,of “Angst” ( and this includes my son, and son in law…..).
    Get them in National service.

Didn't you get a lift to the pit face on a train YN and then catch one back ? .
    No. Some faces were 3 miles outby the paddy took you maybe 1/2 way then you had to walk with your tools and no belt riding as belts were running the opposite way and you walked with the deputies. I would have loved to see some of you people who talk about the pits shift a heap of ripping after boring it with the 4foot drill.

Quote Originally Posted by upthecolliers View Post
    No. Some faces were 3 miles outby the paddy took you maybe 1/2 way then you had to walk with your tools and no belt riding as belts were running the opposite way and you walked with the deputies. I would have loved to see some of you people who talk about the pits shift a heap of ripping after boring it with the 4foot drill.
    My mate Albert Townend took me down POW once…. You have my respect if you worked down there chaps.

Anybody watched that miners strike 3 part documentary on Channel 4 which was screened recently? Powerful stuff. Brought more emotion art o mi than owt I've seen before, especially the Orgreave one

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Anybody watched that miners strike 3 part documentary on Channel 4 which was screened recently? Powerful stuff. Brought more emotion art o mi than owt I've seen before, especially the Orgreave one
    It's next on mi list Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by upthecolliers View Post
    I'm well aware of that Colliers , I was playing devils advocate with YN .

Some interesting points raised none the less from yourself , I suppose it could be argued that the work done in mining in the 19th century was considerably harder than what was experienced by latter day miners , they would probably have bit your hand off for the bit of kit you used .

I also wonder if mining had survived in this country what it would look like today with the advancements in technology ?

I wonder too how the NUM would have handled that , advances in technology , probably less miners required underground and a more automation than sweat .

All hypothetical I guess as things turned out .

There's a picture in the link of a proposed new coal mine set to be built in Cumbria .

Looks a bit different to Grimey and Houghton Main .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-56023895

There's a picture in the link of a proposed new coal mine set to be built in Cumbria .

Looks a bit different to Grimey and Houghton Main .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-56023895
    Coal for the steel works Don't make me laugh Coal is only used in the Blast Furnaces, not the electric ark furnaces and by gum they are shutting the last of the Blast Furnaces in the country down in Port Talbut due in a big part because of Brexit, 3,000 jobs up the swany, mind thee that little snippet is dated 8th of December 2022

The initial thread isn’t about coal mining per se.
    It’s about the work men used to do at one time - around Barnsley it was generally coal mining - compared to the work that men do these days and the impact this has on their mental wellbeing.
    When I’m talking about men especially young men ‘coping with life’ I’m talking about the high rate of suicides there is within that group these days.

The thread is NOT about how many miles someone walks in a warehouse.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast