+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Tackling a Thing of the Past

Is Tackling a Thing of the Past

On the MOTD analysis of Connor Bradley's performance he was credited with the joint highest number of attempted tackles. Just twice in the 90 minutes he tried to tackle an opponent. He also had a goal and 2 assists.

Has the elite modern game all but evolved past the need to tackle?

Staggering.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post

Has the elite modern game all but evolved past the need to tackle?

Staggering.
    Interesting question and I think the answer is no, but it's going that way. The players are so fast and skilful now it's getting harder to execute a tackle. Plus the refereeing is geared (rightly so IMO) to protecting skilful players.

The risk/reward ratio when deciding whether to tackle or especially tackle hard is probably less in favour of the player without the ball than it has ever been.

Even at our level we prefer to try to intercept, position, run alongside rather than risk giving fouls away.

It does seem like it's going that way. A decade or two ago, tackling was a huge part of the game. Every match you'd see someone like Ricco running at full pelt and doing one of those classic slide tackles, clattering into the opposition player at the same time. Now, defenders seem to just run alongside attackers and try to usher them this way or that, before attempting to block or intercept the cross/pass/shot.

It's now pretty normal to set up without a ball-winning midfielder, even in the lower leagues, whereas a few years ago that would have been considered tactically naive to say the least. With the quality and technical ability always improving, you see less midfield battles in general. There's more focus on shape and positioning in and out of possession and less on brute force.

I suppose lower-league football is easier on the eye these days, but I do miss players like Ricco. A well-timed sliding tackle is a thing of beauty and just as likely to get me out of my seat than a fancy piece of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    It does seem like it's going that way. A decade or two ago, tackling was a huge part of the game. Every match you'd see someone like Ricco running at full pelt and doing one of those classic slide tackles, clattering into the opposition player at the same time. Now, defenders seem to just run alongside attackers and try to usher them this way or that, before attempting to block or intercept the cross/pass/shot.

It's now pretty normal to set up without a ball-winning midfielder, even in the lower leagues, whereas a few years ago that would have been considered tactically naive to say the least. With the quality and technical ability always improving, you see less midfield battles in general. There's more focus on shape and positioning in and out of possession and less on brute force.

I suppose lower-league football is easier on the eye these days, but I do miss players like Ricco. A well-timed sliding tackle is a thing of beauty and just as likely to get me out of my seat than a fancy piece of skill.
    Agree with this. It kind of links back to what I was saying about the new kid in midfield and what pretty much everyone has said about missing Matty Palmer.

You don't really need a physical midfield general anymore, you just need at least one midfielder that can track up, down and across the pitch all day and be first to loose balls and poor opposition passes. They will obviously tackle as well, but the majority of tackles are more like putting a well timed foot on the ball to redirect it rather than full frontal collisions.

Like you I miss 'old' football for the visceral pleasure of forceful and slightly malicious 50/50 tackles, as well as running strength duels (attacker and defender running alongside each other leaning in to one another trying to reach the ball) but I understand for talented players the new futsal style of football is more enjoyable to play, rather than having to risk your tibia in a kind of ritual tribal initiation ceremony every Saturday. More interesting for the casual fan too.

I agree with much of the above. I would also say that the game is so fast these days that a well timed sliding tackle tends to take the defender out of the game for a few seconds and if the ball goes loose, opens up space to be attacked. I have no idea if this is true, or cognitive bias, but I think a lot of the more 'traditional' tackles now happen out on the flanks where the ball is likely to go out of play, and there is less room to exploit if the tackle isn't cleanly won.

Of course, as we saw at the weekend, the cynical scythe is still very much alive!

Guess there is also the fear of even trying to put a tackle in because your opponent will fall over with both legs broken and their skull caved in at the merest touch.

Good thing or bad thing? The good clean tackles are still allowed (generally) so probably a good thing really.

Is tackling a thing of the past? Only at Notts along with stopping a cross coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Magpie View Post
    I agree with much of the above. I would also say that the game is so fast these days that a well timed sliding tackle tends to take the defender out of the game for a few seconds and if the ball goes loose, opens up space to be attacked. I have no idea if this is true, or cognitive bias, but I think a lot of the more 'traditional' tackles now happen out on the flanks where the ball is likely to go out of play, and there is less room to exploit if the tackle isn't cleanly won.

Of course, as we saw at the weekend, the cynical scythe is still very much alive!
    Was it Maldini who said 'if I have to make a tackle, I've already made a mistake'?

Think defending as a team is far more about that kind of thinking now - positioning and players keeping their defensive shape. Tackles only really happen when that breaks down.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Was it Maldini who said 'if I have to make a tackle, I've already made a mistake'?

Think defending as a team is far more about that kind of thinking now - positioning and players keeping their defensive shape. Tackles only really happen when that breaks down.
    Yeah but has Maldini ever witnessed the glory of an Ian Richardson slide tackle?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast