+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Plastic scousers

Plastic scousers

Well, if my memory serves me right then Rovers were awful earlier in the year and ended the match lucky to have 9 on the pitch.
    However, as bad as they were we couldn't bury them. Since then there has been a change of management (I think) and results have improved a little.
    It's another of those games where relative team positions suggest the Alex should win. But as Salford showed, you can't rely on that.
    As for line up, it's going to be difficult as we seem to have a wealth of options at the back, quite a few deep in midfield and then quite a few options at the front. However the difficulty lies in a creative link that's missing from the middle. This situation often causes a huge gap between back and front and why sometimes the Alex resort to the long ball.
    Also, the numbers we have in the various departments suggests that 4-3-3 is not viable. So are we reverting to 3-5-2 or would we match Tranmere with a 4-4-2? It will depend, largely, on whose available ( i.e. will Charlie start or be on the bench, if even in the squad?). Have either Tracey or Rowe done enough recently to warrant starts?
    We can assume that Booth, Mickey, Rio, Offord and Nev's names are already on the teamsheet. Austerfield, Turns and Long (?) will probably play. That leaves 3 to fill. A lot hinges on plans for Offord for the rest of the season. We all marvelled at his N'Golo Kante role in midfield but having brought in 2 midfielders who like to play deep, in addition to Thomas, it is probable that they'll want to play him at the back. But is that in 4 or a three? And what about Billington? Lots of good games and a (seemingly, as I wasn't there) slump against Salford.
    So, how about a( somewhat defensive looking) line-up of:
    Booth; Billington, Turns, Mickey, Rio;
    Offord;
    Austerfield, Thomas;
    Rowe;
    Nev, Long
    So 4-1-2-1-2 /4-1-2-3.
    Charlie if he's fit/available could easily fit back into that line-up to replace either Rowe or Long as could Holicek.
    Prediction? Due a draw 1-1, Long (he's also overdue.

Gonna stay positive for this one ...

Never an easy place to go to - can be quite intimidating, but this is the new 'No Fear' Crewe.

Gonna go for a 1-0 win to the Arsen'al-ex'

FGS Nev

Just hope the Salford defeat is still hurting, and that lessons have been learned

Surprised no-one else is interested in predicting tomorrow's match result considering recent developments.

I'll go for a 1-2 loss this afternoon. Would love to be going but can't unfortunately. I can see Turns starting and Kirk on the bench at best. I hope that we set up solid today and be a bit more uncompromising and maybe this will give us a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    I hope that we set up solid today and be a bit more uncompromising and maybe this will give us a chance.
    With you 100% on this ...

More than happy with a 5-3-2 and a 1-0 win

.... and more importantly 3 points

So, no surprises in the lineup.
    Effectively Turns takes O'Riordan's position. WBs and Thomas in the middle and Rowe behind the front 3. If Tranmere use their midfield a lot we are in danger of being overloaded.

That was a bit dull! We'll have to learn how to play through teams like that as I'm pretty sure Tranmere won't be the last to play like they did.
    Interesting that LB kept most of his midfield options on the bench and played just Thomas (plus Rowe and Offord?).
    Kirk came on with only a couple of minutes left so not sure what role he has in mind for him.
    For me, Long is looking a little blunt at the moment. I think he should be played in a two up front in a 4-4-2 formation. Rowe isn't doing it for me, he's not a number 10. Either play him wide or not at all.
    Our rate of scoring seems to be slowing down as well. I suppose we're not getting up the pitch as much as we used to and the deadball situations seem not to be bearing as much fruit.
    Ah well! Another week to wait for our first double?

Over the years and years I have been watching the Alex, there must have been 100s of times when we would have lost a game like that. Boy are we made of sterner stuff now!! As Belly says, take the point and move on.

Absolutely agree!