+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Live gigs…

Live gigs…

I’ve got myself a few live gig tickets for this year and will probably get a a couple more over the next few months,Barenaked Ladies in Manchester,Deacon Blue in Scarborough and Reverend Peyton in Leeds (not an actual Reverend I may add) which I am looking forward to the most,I know that you love your music Frank so did you go to any gigs back in the day? What’s your favourite albums and who would you like to meet the most in the entertainment world?

When you mentioned getting up close with a phone to naked ladies on the other thread reminds me of a pet hate of mine,the amount of phones that are recording the shows nowadays,apart from it being irritating with everyone around you holding their phones aloft doesn’t anyone just enjoy the gig anymore? If you are going to watch the gig through your phone screen then waste thirty quid on a ticket when you could just watch the videos at home,give me the days of the Nokia 3310 when a phone was just used for calls n texts

Cooder did a wonderful rendition of Mexican Divorce, wistful, sensitive, good, he did a lot of good music and not so good like all of them, they have to fill up albums somehow, even when its crap.

Ive lost touch with music, i dont know who any of those bands are, im still waiting for the next rock, country, folk, west coast, classical, deep,
    band that reflects everyday life....like the Carpenters, or the others that dont exist anymore. Grown up stuff. What are those bands like, it cant be brain dead if you like them. Does the music have a tune?

I first saw Deacon Blue live back in the early 90’s and fell in love,not with the band itself but the wonderful Lorraine Macintosh who apart from looking fabulous sang like an angel,bought every album since

Check out SailAway /Dignity live on YouTube

Reverend Peyton plays hillbilly music,relatively unknown here he’s playing a couple of gigs in England and can’t wait

Check out Devils look like Angels

Two groups that I’m hoping to see if they come over here is Walk of the Earth and The Dead South,check out WOTE’s Somebody that I used to know (five people playing one guitar) and The Dead South’s In hell I will be in good Company,there’s great music out there Frank if you look for it

The greatest singer that I ever saw live was a guy in a pub in Mansfield,a co worker where I used to chat to about music told me that her sisters boyfriend was doing a gig in the Ferret and Whistle (or summat) and that she was going to see him and did I want to go,she admitted later that she just wanted a lift but I had nothing better to do so accompanied her up there,the guy was a frigging genius,a great looking guy who had the voice of an angels choir,he could make his guitar sing when he played it and I was totally stunned at his musicianship,after 30 mins he came over to our table to sit with us and his girlfriend came over and asked him if he wanted a drink,she was staggering good looking,we’re talking model looks here and the bloke had it all except the fame and money,a few weeks later the co worker left and I never saw him sing again and you know what I can’t even remember his name

Its not only a voice that gets you places but how you deliver it, if you havent got that its no go, Lauper got it right, something as basic as moving all the time, mind you Mitchell put nowt into appearence and performance, she was so good she didnt have too. Joni was my icon, my musical god, and theres a reason for it.

Like it or not you and i, everyone is built in a particular way, it determines everything, like the make of a car.

Including your taste in music, even that. I like the Mitchell, Carpenters, doleful, depressed, insightful, deep, laconic, the mexican divorce type, sophisticated, complex, heart rending. Cooder did an album of black negro music, one track on there is wondrous.

I dont dance, i cant, it feels wrong, but this track makes me want to, its upbeat, happy, brilliant, it gets me going, if it ticks a box it makes the grade, that box is deepness and compexity, like getting a recipe right.

And so it is with you, your musical tastes are pre determined, yes they are, you have come into this world as a package, built at birth by the almighty.

Its why you do what you do, in all things. If a car can do 70, it will not go 80, etc. You can find out what your musical tastes are, why you do what you do etc. If you use the car analogy, the mechanic caring for the car, you, will know how to look after it, that has to be good doesnt it?

You will argue and reject this, i know you to well, fair enough.

I won’t argue with you Frank as I’ve got no idea what you are going on about but I do agree with you about stage presence,it’s something that can’t be taught but if you’ve got it you’ve got it,Joni probably had it just by being on stage,she would have been surrounded by people who love her,there would have been an aura around her just by her walking on stage,I’ve never my hero’s and don’t want to,it’s always going to end up bad if they ignore you or even worst brush you aside as you stand at the stage door pen and album in hand for a autograph

I listened to Ry Cooders Mexican Divorce yesterday and recognised it from somewhere else so I’m presuming that it’s a cover version,it was ok but all that matters is that you love it,if we all liked the same thing then music wouldn’t evolve into other genres

I can be moved to tears by a sad song and I know that you probably have done so to,you’ve showed your softer side in the past when talking about cruelty to animals etc,some people don’t care but you do but others only see the wum in you,I like wums if they are good at it especially when people don’t even know that they’ve been had,you’ve had me in the past and I know what you like,I bet that you good company in a pub and you are one of the few people that I would like to meet

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)