+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Phillips

Sage advice, MT.

My wife has one of the things hanging on the wall that says something to the effect. It's not how many breaths you take in life, but the moments that take your breath away. May not be exactly what it says but close. Even a person like me that would not probably be confused for a deep thinker does think about it now and then when I see it.

We all have moments like that in our lives. First day of school, First kiss, First Car, Graduating, Wedding day, First home, Birth of our kids, Death of our parents and other big events. Many really don't have much to do with money.

Applying it to this situation. I'm sure KP had a whole lot of those minutes at Leeds. I'm sure he had one when he signed the huge contract. However, I suspect those minutes became non existent after that. Sitting on the bench or doing mop up minutes don't exactly lend themselves to those moments. His career will be over and he'll have faded into background. It's sad when you reflect on it and I'm sure he'll never be as happy as he was at Leeds.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Don't know the answer that that question, and in any case you have it ar5e about face (not for the first time). The more apposite query would be what fans/supporters of those incoming players feel about their "favourites" having jumped ship and joined the good ship LUFC. I don't care (and why should you).

Of course, if their departing sweethearts have professed an undying love of the club, a fervent belief that without that club they "wouldn't be who they are/were), their disgruntlement might be well placed. And?

I haven't criticised Schitty fans for welcoming (or otherwise) the arrival of Phillips, nor that of Spam fans the same (although I suspect few were as warmly disposed to him coming on loan as even the Schitty fans were when he was sold to that lovely club). No, my criticism is, and has always been of the hypocrisy of the player, and no-one and nothing will change that.

Maybe next time you will contribute when the thread starts, not when it finishes (or perhaps not at all)
    I don’t have it wrong way round, you I realise need everything spelt out…
    You pontificate about Kalvin leaving us, do you use this same reasoning when a player arrives with us, has he shown disloyalty and had his head turned by us. Do you bother getting feedback from those fans he’s left.

Do you have similar feelings of contempt for in particular Milner,Smith,Howson plus others like Beckford, Beccio et al?

Alan Smith is a great example of people having a go at players without knowing the full picture.

He gets so much hate about his move to Man U he rarely if ever comes back to the club or to public events.

He could have gone to either Arsenal or Man U but chose Man U as they were offering the most money for him and he thought that might help save the club.

Other players at the time went to Spuds and Citeh for peanuts and wouldn’t take a pay cut so not only did we not get market value but ended up paying part of their wages to get them off the books.

Those players don’t get any criticism though - people are strange sometimes!!

Always love the guy but you reap what you sow, he thought he'd play over likes of Rodri, De Bruyne, Silva etc and rightly or wrongly made it clear that was the only move he'd make and it has backfired like I think a lot of people rightly predicted that he'd be nothing more than a bench warming bit part player but i don't think anyone guessed just how little he'd play.

This is a guy who would most likely have left us for Villa when we were in the Championship if it wasn't for his Grandma convincing him otherwise. He is no different to all the other footballers other than the fact he is Leeds and probably has a tiny bit more loyalty than most in him.

He chose his path, its gone horribly but I'd love him back if we ever go up because he is still a quality player I think Kalvin is just one of these players who needs to feel wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by whitestomper45 View Post
    I don’t have it wrong way round, you I realise need everything spelt out…
    You pontificate about Kalvin leaving us, do you use this same reasoning when a player arrives with us, has he shown disloyalty and had his head turned by us. Do you bother getting feedback from those fans he’s left.

Do you have similar feelings of contempt for in particular Milner,Smith,Howson plus others like Beckford, Beccio et al?
    You really do make yourself look silly with some of the questions you pose. Why in gods name would I care what fans of a team supplying a new LUFC player feel about that player leaving their club? Refer you to post #57 on this thread, regarding that and also my complete lack of interest in what Schitty and/or Spam fans feel about Phillips arrival in their midst.

My only interest in the arrival of a new player, wherever they may come from, is are they good enough to Leeds, nothing more, nothing less

You ask about my view on the departure of other players? See post #14 this thread regarding Alan Smiths departure.

James Milner? Extract from his Wikipedia entry (not controversial in terms of its content) “Milner rejected an offer from Tottenham as they were based too far from his family home, where he still lived.[34][35] Leeds insisted that he would not be sold with chairman Gerald Krasner referring to him as "the future of Leeds".[16] Nonetheless, financial problems eventually forced Leeds to sell Milner to Newcastle United for Ł5 million.[36] Although Milner was not happy to be leaving the club he had supported as a child, he wished to do what was "in the club's best interest"[16] and in July 2004, he agreed a five-year contract with Newcastle”.

Why would I seek to criticise someone who is acting in the best interests of the club in a very precarious position at the time (as did Smith), despite it not being his choice? You would?

Jonny Howson – again an extract from his Wikipedia entry “On 29 November, Howson scored his first goal of the season in a 4–0 away victory over Nottingham Forest in what was an emotionally charged affair, coming only two days after the death of Leeds legend Gary Speed.[27] In the following game, Howson picked up a knee injury against Millwall in what would prove to be his last match for the club.[28][29] The injury was suspected to keep Howson out of football for several months and he did not feature for his boyhood club again before he was sold to Premier League Norwich City in late January 2012.[30]

The sale of Howson prompted protests amongst Leeds supporters; enraged by what they perceived as a lack of ambition after failure to hold on to several key players in recent seasons and minimal investment in the first team squad.[31] United defender and Howson's long-term friend Ben Parker rejected the club's claims that midfielder wanted to leave the club at a fans forum whilst negotiations were taking place.[32] Parker would be sent out on loan to Carlisle United shortly after and Simon Grayson, who had initially defended the sale, was sacked after criticising the club's lack of investment after a 1–4 defeat to Birmingham City on the January transfer deadline day”.

Again, why would I criticise a player being sold by the club, contrary to the players wishes?

And of the other names you mention, Beckford was a Chelsea Academy product and played non-league football for Wealdstone before signing for LUFC. Beccio came from Spanish league, they never were Leeds Academy graduates, and whilst they contributed significant performances, they don’t have the same profile as Smith, Milner or Howson, and most certainly not Phillips. They left with my best wishes, they were never hypocrites.

Is it too early in the week to start drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Is it too early in the week to start drinking
    Subject to what your poison is, no ….

You really do make yourself look silly with some of the questions you pose. Why in gods name would I care what fans of a team supplying a new LUFC player feel about that player leaving their club? Refer you to post #57 on this thread, regarding that and also my complete lack of interest in what Schitty and/or Spam fans feel about Phillips arrival in their midst.

My only interest in the arrival of a new player, wherever they may come from, is are they good enough to Leeds, nothing more, nothing less

You ask about my view on the departure of other players? See post #14 this thread regarding Alan Smiths departure.

James Milner? Extract from his Wikipedia entry (not controversial in terms of its content) “Milner rejected an offer from Tottenham as they were based too far from his family home, where he still lived.[34][35] Leeds insisted that he would not be sold with chairman Gerald Krasner referring to him as "the future of Leeds".[16] Nonetheless, financial problems eventually forced Leeds to sell Milner to Newcastle United for Ł5 million.[36] Although Milner was not happy to be leaving the club he had supported as a child, he wished to do what was "in the club's best interest"[16] and in July 2004, he agreed a five-year contract with Newcastle”.

Why would I seek to criticise someone who is acting in the best interests of the club in a very precarious position at the time (as did Smith), despite it not being his choice? You would?

Jonny Howson – again an extract from his Wikipedia entry “On 29 November, Howson scored his first goal of the season in a 4–0 away victory over Nottingham Forest in what was an emotionally charged affair, coming only two days after the death of Leeds legend Gary Speed.[27] In the following game, Howson picked up a knee injury against Millwall in what would prove to be his last match for the club.[28][29] The injury was suspected to keep Howson out of football for several months and he did not feature for his boyhood club again before he was sold to Premier League Norwich City in late January 2012.[30]

The sale of Howson prompted protests amongst Leeds supporters; enraged by what they perceived as a lack of ambition after failure to hold on to several key players in recent seasons and minimal investment in the first team squad.[31] United defender and Howson's long-term friend Ben Parker rejected the club's claims that midfielder wanted to leave the club at a fans forum whilst negotiations were taking place.[32] Parker would be sent out on loan to Carlisle United shortly after and Simon Grayson, who had initially defended the sale, was sacked after criticising the club's lack of investment after a 1–4 defeat to Birmingham City on the January transfer deadline day”.

Again, why would I criticise a player being sold by the club, contrary to the players wishes?

And of the other names you mention, Beckford was a Chelsea Academy product and played non-league football for Wealdstone before signing for LUFC. Beccio came from Spanish league, they never were Leeds Academy graduates, and whilst they contributed significant performances, they don’t have the same profile as Smith, Milner or Howson, and most certainly not Phillips. They left with my best wishes, they were never hypocrites.
    WTF you said ………………..

Quote Originally Posted by Pacaman View Post
    WTF you said ………………..
    I was referring to our dialogue, not anyone else. By all means reply to this post, you can have the last word (again!)

I was referring to our dialogue, not anyone else. By all means reply to this post, you can have the last word (again!)
    😜

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)