+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Russell Martin way

His way is more about complaining.
    He did it profusely after the match at their place and had another go even after they had won on Saturday.
    Needs to lighten up a bit, the tippy tappy 48 passes to get over the half way line clearly isn’t making him happy

It's not about the players we have now its about the players we have in 10 years time

Quote Originally Posted by ragingpup View Post
    Don't Crewe subscribe to the pure passing game thing? Remember them losing heavily week in week out yet persevering with the defenders trying to pass it around the penalty area with the keeper. Wonder how their fans feel about this post
    Crewe were very succesful at one point. Seem to remember them in the Championship. I also remember them outclassed us in the Hignett era.

Not sure there demise was linked to the passing game?

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Crewe were very succesful at one point. Seem to remember them in the Championship. I also remember them outclassed us in the Hignett era.

They were succesful during Dario Gradi's time with them

For the future you say,well ten years into Crewe's didn't work out so well did it ?
    Playing nice neat football is all well and good if you've got nice,neat players, which means a decent academy and **** loads of money, neither of which we have.
    Anyway, there's more than one way to win a game , personally I love seeing a flying winger crossing it for some big centre forward ,with rest of team working their gonads off,at least this is something achievable.

They were stubbornly playing the passing game only a few years ago under Artella and for them it is an admirable philosophy going back to Gradi. They have fully implemented the kind of long term philosophy you are aspiring to. It worked for them at one point, when they seemed to have a mix of inspiring manager and produced some great young players that came through together. Not so much in recent years.

Still nice to se ethem at top of league 2 and if playing good football, I hope they succeed with it. Think you might need a bigger budget to get the quality of players such as Barlaser etc to pull it off at this level

I do think that playing out from the back and the passing game is a better option overall, didn't les payne say the other day that was how we used to play in the early 60s before a lot of other teams. It does need to be embedded into the players at a young age and unfortunately I am not sure we have really done the best we could have done in the young player development, we are no better than the first season in NY in that regard. As to the current team, we are not a long ball team at the moment, since LR came we have tried to play from deeper positions, under MT the ball spent more time in the air between our keeper and the CF than on the ground. You do have to have ball playing players we do have a handful and but probably not enough

We don't just need to try it. We need it to be our whole philosophy. Part of our whole philosophy. Hoof it football is soon to be a thing of the past.

We adapt or we sink
    I don't know exactly what happened subsequently but in hiring Burton I'm guessing that was the intention.

Possibly going slightly off topic but seeing as we're talking about style of play and bringing young players through, what ever happened to the proposed academy on Bawtry Road? Does the club (or TS) still own that land?

ibs has a point in that developing a footballing philosophy/style can be helpful in helping to focus recruitment, training, facilities etc.. It is worth bearing in mind that every approach/tactic has it strengths and weaknesses - but having players/staff adept at making the most of a playing style certainly helps. Not much point in developing/bringing in no-nonsense defenders if you want a more pass and move style of play. Square pegs for square holes and all that... I think this helps in adjusting to changes i.e. the loss of manager Schumacher hasn't disrupted Plymouth - because they seem to have pre-empted this by identifying a recruiting someone who suits how they have been set up from playing style, players and backroom staff - smart way to operate I'd say, and crucial if resources are limited

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast