+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Russell Martin way

The Russell Martin way

Had loads of criticism on here but personally I love watching it.

We need to ditch the luddite type of football otherwise we will never make it above league 1 again

Any one else a fan?

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    Had loads of criticism on here but personally I love watching it.

We need to ditch the luddite type of football otherwise we will never make it above league 1 again

Any one else a fan?
    Agree to a point IBS. They are 2 different animals with a similar knowledge of the game. Unfortunately they have to different personalities which I would wish Mr LR had similar to his Southampton counterpart Russel.

It is just so good to watch. I know Martin is only developing the tradition started by the great Hungarian side of the 50's, which was developed by Rinus Michels, expanded by Cruyff and then Guardiola and every young coach since, but to me this passing game is the beautiful game.

I cringe when I hear the shouts of 'gerrit forrard' from the fans at NYS.

The passing game is the way.

Keep playing hoofball and we will be playing it in the conference.

That would be good but is it that simple? You need a certain quality of player and we haven’t got the £ so presumably the idea is to produce your own so what are we doing wrong?

I must try harder to keep up

I thought Russel Martin Way was a bypass around Milton Keynes

Quote Originally Posted by uttis View Post
    That would be good but is it that simple? You need a certain quality of player and we haven’t got the £ so presumably the idea is to produce your own so what are we doing wrong?
    That's a valid point although I maintain that it can be taught to very young players who by the time they reach the first team should be comfortable with the passing game.

Which brings me back to the idea above, that as a club we need to get with it.

Time to rip up the hoofball manual and play some proper stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post
    That's a valid point although I maintain that it can be taught to very young players who by the time they reach the first team should be comfortable with the passing game.

Which brings me back to the idea above, that as a club we need to get with it.

Time to rip up the hoofball manual and play some proper stuff.
    We already tried it didn't we when we hired Mark Burton as academy manager, that's the way he taught John Stones to play football.

But he didn't seem to stay long.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    We already tried it didn't we when we hired Mark Burton as academy manager, that's the way he taught John Stones to play football.

But he didn't seem to stay long.
    We don't just need to try it. We need it to be our whole philosophy. Part of our whole philosophy. Hoof it football is soon to be a thing of the past.

We adapt or we sink

Don't Crewe subscribe to the pure passing game thing? Remember them losing heavily week in week out yet persevering with the defenders trying to pass it around the penalty area with the keeper. Wonder how their fans feel about this post

Even Manchester City with the best players equipped for playing like that make mistakes now and again when playing tippy tappy around there own penalty area . Also when pressed someone invariably ends up knocking it long anyway. We can't afford players who are comfortable enough doing it I think that showed up against Southampton when we did try passing out of defence we ended up giving the ball away far too many times .

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast