+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: When did we last improve a striker?

Quote Originally Posted by shed-buoy View Post
    Let’s improve him :-)
    😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    speaking of strikers, i dont think Grieve is good enough
    The difference in the loan signings of United and DFC this season suggests there is a bigger gap between the sides than we have witnessed in many a year,the only silver lining i see at the moment is there are no derbies on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by arab1970 View Post
    speaking of strikers, i dont think Grieve is good enough
    Bring back the reserves played in front of fans at Tannadice. Playing with players on the fringes, good youngsters and players coming back from injury. On that basis would we have Docherty in better condition than just chucking him right back in against Ayr then out again? Is match fitness not even mentioned in the Largs training manual these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    Bring back the reserves played in front of fans at Tannadice. Playing with players on the fringes, good youngsters and players coming back from injury. On that basis would we have Docherty in better condition than just chucking him right back in against Ayr then out again? Is match fitness not even mentioned in the Largs training manual these days?
    We could do that if we'd like a terrible pitch for the first team to play on. I was at a few reserve games back in the day and I honestly can't understand why folk want to see the return of them to Tannadice. Hardly anyone was ever there watching. 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    Totally agree - used to enjoy watching the reserves. Great experience for up and coming young players especially if the opponents played established players coming back from injury or loss of form.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    We could do that if we'd like a terrible pitch for the first team to play on. I was at a few reserve games back in the day and I honestly can't understand why folk want to see the return of them to Tannadice. Hardly anyone was ever there watching. ��
    Your blethering Terry - in the late eighties hundreds used to go to the reserve games. As for the pitch, surely an average of a game every week isn't going to take it's toll. I'm positive that playing at Tannadice was a huge plus for players such as Paddy Connelly, Big Dunc, Christian Dailly etc. and prepared them for promotion to the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by DUFCstokie View Post
    Your blethering Terry - in the late eighties hundreds used to go to the reserve games. As for the pitch, surely an average of a game every week isn't going to take it's toll. I'm positive that playing at Tannadice was a huge plus for players such as Paddy Connelly, Big Dunc, Christian Dailly etc. and prepared them for promotion to the first team.
    A game a week would absolutely destroy the surface. Remember Firhill a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    A game a week would absolutely destroy the surface. Remember Firhill a few years ago?
    Not looking its best just now either.

Summers were warmer, sledging on winter snow was brilliant, sweeties were cheaper, shopkeepers friendlier. Health and safety wasn't invented. United had a reserve team. We played in black and white. Fans changed ends at half time and the guy who put the half times up usually raised a laugh.
    Great memories but as the song goes, in the past they must remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    Summers were warmer, sledging on winter snow was brilliant, sweeties were cheaper, shopkeepers friendlier. Health and safety wasn't invented. United had a reserve team. We played in black and white. Fans changed ends at half time and the guy who put the half times up usually raised a laugh.
    Great memories but as the song goes, in the past they must remain.
    I'm as guilty as most when looking back and allowing nostalgia to cloud my memories BUT I still think the reserve sides worked. It's not as if the way we are working now is a roaring success.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)