+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is rufc really a club that no one would buy

The other board members.

How much have they put into rufc to deserve a place on the board.

Apart from Tony Stewart son.

If they don't pull there weight why are they still on there

Don't need another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Don't need another thread.
    That’s not fair why should IBS get all the paparazzi outside his house and not WLB..🤔

What is the easiest way to become a millionaire? Start as a billionaire and buy a football club! It is easy to argue that Wrexham is as equally unattractive as Rotherham but the difference is potential.We are pretty much maxed out in that regard whereas Wrexham were rolling around the depths of the National League when Hollywood came a knocking. Bournemouth and Brentford are clubs that were frequent visitors to Millmoor as we were all growing up and you wonder how they have got to where they are now and who took such an interest to take them there.But look where they are located geographically.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    All “ outshone “ by the elephant in the room

Bl00dy hell Grist just say it. Rotherham is famous in the main for 1400 young girls getting abused by Pakistani grooming gangs, go on ya know ya want to 🤣😂.

Oops, not allowed to say Pakistani grooming gangs anymore are we. Naughty me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Let me throw it out to ‘local’ folk.

If you win £100 million on the lottery, would you seriously look at getting involved at RUFC?

Would you approach TS looking to buy in with him?
    Yes
    Not to make money but because I love the club and it has been a huge love for my whole family, my late mother worked for the Pursehouse family as well. I don't have the desire to live a millionaires lifestyle, private jets etc so a well invest chunk of £100million would look after me and my family for a few generations. For me I would want to help build a good youth development academy and see how it could extend to other teams within the area where all the smaller clubs in the region can benefit, imagine a scenario where, Rotherham, Doncaster, Chesterfield and Barnsley all have squads with quality players from a regionally academy. Trying something different and not sat back with the victim, entitlement and can't do attitude, that runs like a desease through society. Oh to dream

It's an interesting question, basically can the club move to the next level without losing its soul,and ditching us into humongous debt ?
    Most importantly does Mr Stewart even want other people involved, I suspect his plan is to pass it onto his son and carry on as is for the foreseeable future.
    This will mean no new investment, and us yo-yoing between the 2nd and 3rd divisions forever probably.
    BUT,there's always a chance we could do a Luton one year which would mean a big pot of cash for one season at least, which could change things forever, who knows ?
    Whilst I would love us to become an established championship club,sometimes be careful what you wish for, many many clubs have tried this and have ended up properly in the sh*t.
    What we need is someone like Tony Stewart but ten times richer.

Non-league Chorley FC have had a influx to their club, with 90's pop group Boyzone being
    involved with the club, the group said to be doing concerts, & investing in the club.

Quote Originally Posted by welovebooth View Post
    What's rothrrham famous for got nothing to do with it.

Apart from oasis and been called gunchester what was man city famous for in recent times.

It's the club you buy.

A football apart from the top 10 in the world aren't investments there a rich man's playground.

I would thought rufc would be the cheapest to buy in the championship and top 6 in league 1.
    Haven't you gone some way to answering your own question there? As you have pointed out, football clubs are a rich man's playground. They are a way to throw vast amounts of money away on a hobby as opposed to a way of making money.

You are probably right that Rotherham would be a cheap club to buy. It's an unfashionable club in an unfashionable town and has no history at the top flight. That means that its intrinsic value is low. The cost of buying the just the name ‘Derby County’ or, dare I say it, ‘Sheffield Wednesday’ might well exceed the cost of buying the entire Rotherham set up.

The better question is why would anyone want to buy Rotherham? The level of cash that you would have to throw away to get the club into the Premiership would be eye watering and there would still be a likelihood that you would get dog’s abuse on here and on similar fora for ‘not putting your hand in your pocket’ deeply enough. The Wednesday owner has clearly got fed up of it. We can dream but should be glad that Stewart hasn't reached that point.

I think the broader issue will be are people prepared to accept the fact that the club will never break through the glass ceiling under the present ownership and so find something else to do on Saturday afternoons.
    As has already been mentioned elsewhere there are worrying signs that quite a lot of season ticket holders have given up already so it will be interesting to see what the renewal rate is next season

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast