+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another big loss

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Fatfan, - I'm on two computers at the moment and juggling several tasks; in essence I accept what you and others are saying, - absolutely, - and in no other business would it be acceptable to pay £18.00 to sit on a dirty seat, - or not be able to wash your hands in the toilet, - these are basics that have been left to wither on the vine, - I think after a vandal attack.

However, - these 'minor' issues pale into insignificance when we look at the bigger picture, - and what we all need to do (I think) is park our grievances and see what is best for the club we love. I earlier used the analogy of the NHS, - which is clearly not fit for the 21st century, - and neither is Palmerston, - or a good part of the club, - and what is required is an honest, realistic debate about how we move forward.

However, - I'm not sure that we are ready for that.

It's like closing churches or clubs, - or on a bigger scale finding a solution for Palestine, or Ukraine/ Russia - there will always be entrenched views and those with axes to grind.
    Jesus jardi. You comparing me to vladamir putin is a bit strong. All I’m saying there are simple things that can be changed at the club that will make it cleaner and slightly more appealing

Quote Originally Posted by fatfan View Post
    Jesus jardi. You comparing me to vladamir putin is a bit strong. All I’m saying there are simple things that can be changed at the club that will make it cleaner and slightly more appealing
    I’ll agree with you on the main point jardi. It is a fantastic thing that Iain has done, of that there is no doubt. And I still stand by the fact that the club should be responsible for carrying out most of the jobs around the ground, many of which costs little, if anything at all. But to enhance that what Iain done has got me thinking. Would it not be a good idea to get a group of fans together to help with. maintenance around the ground. There may be a plumber so if the clubs provided taps he could fix the bathrooms. Or others who can carry out ground work or painting, cleaning and repairing seats and the likes. In return the club could give a payment in kind. Something you mentioned earlier. But this should only be done as an extra to what the club should be doing. Not being left for supporters to do.

I agree with you Fatfan.

I'm proposing to do a town litter pick next Saturday, and happy to finish up at Palmerston.

As it's an away day, might it be possible for a group of fans to turn up and do whatever they can?

We would obviously need complete access to the ground, but it would be handy for any volunteers to have a list of 'possible' jobs that need done.

Access to hot water is a pre - requisite, so we can clean seats etc, but do we bring our own buckets, scrubbers and Fairy Liquid to tackle that?

You've made reference to plumbing maintenance,- do we know what exactly?

I'd be more than happy to cover the costs of any supplies so it's just the fan's time .........We simply cannot expect people to turn up and pay for materials.

Anyway, -hopefully that's a starting point?

All we need now is volunteers, tasks they could perform and a note of essential maintenance, access to the ground, plus Kevin to turn off / on water and electricity and materials in -situ, picked up and supplied by the club

Even if it's too much to organise plumbing jobs for Saturday, perhaps the seat cleaning in both stands would be a fantastic starting point?

Thoughts?

Jardi I’m thinking about contacting the club and organising to clean the seats before our next home game on February 24th. I was thinking about the Friday ( 23rd ) so they’re as clean as possible for the next day. The tidy up I did last week outside Portland Drive turnstiles received an unbelievable response on social media. I’ve never seen anything like it on my Queens facebook page. The kind words I received for doing so was much appreciated but it wasn’t the reason for it.I just didn’t want anyone else slipping on the leaves and I’m more than happy to help out when I can. Shame the club aren’t doing more and I’m honestly not sure why they aren’t. I’m guessing it’s down to a lack of manpower??

Iain

Afternoon Ian, I think the problem is two fold: lack of cash and manpower, but it's much more than that, it's the enormity of the crisis that the club faces on all fronts.

Something like washing the seats will take a lot of manpower, - hence why I'm hoping that 10 or 20 volunteers might turn up on Saturday afternoon at 3pm for an hour and a half, which is effectively the same time as they would turn up for a match.....meaning that in this 'tme precious' world, some of us can make ourselves available.
    However, that is simply a starting point, and there may be some fans who could make Friday 23rd with you, -or whenever is convenient to them.
    As far as I see it, there should be no barriers to assisting the club, within normal working hours, - or by arrangement, - If someone can lend a hand for a couple of hours, be it with a brush, a paintbrush, a cloth, a litter picker or a spanner; the club should bite their hand off.
    Lending a hand can be addictive, and when people realise just what needs done, they may well give their time freely.
    This should not be about "what can I get in return"? but rather "what can I do to help"?
    If the club was making a £220k after tax profit every year, then we could quite rightly demand that repairs and general maintenance come out of that profit, but there is no spare cash, and every penny spent is keeping the club afloat.
    Regardless of the reasons for the neglect, now is the time for a group to come together and do their bit for their hame team.

I couldn’t make this Saturday due to work commitments but think I’ll offer me services for a couple of hours next Friday ( 23rd )

I would like to think we could get some supporters interested in helping out and moving forward maybe meet once a month to try and keep on top of the ongoing problems.

I’m not looking for anything in return but some sort of appreciation from the club would be nice 😉

Iain

Just to add I don’t think Palmerston will be open this Saturday as Kev etc will be up in Edinburgh with the first team.

Oh dear, ..........my arm won't be bitten off then. I'll just spend more time cleaning up the town instead.
    Sometimes, you couldn't make it up, is this really the malaise that we've got ourselves into?

Can no one contact the club via the website to arrange for this extraordinary offer to be taken up.
    admin@qosfc.com
    The clubs engagement with the supporters and shareholders is shameful as they describe it as a local community enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    Oh dear, ..........my arm won't be bitten off then. I'll just spend more time cleaning up the town instead.
    Sometimes, you couldn't make it up, is this really the malaise that we've got ourselves into?
    Mark , there’s not a great deal of people using this message board mate. Your unbelievably kind offer should be made officially to the club. I’m sure they’ll bite your hand off.
    If I’m not working and available I’ll help out in a heart beat.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)