+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Gillingham 09.02.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by The Dug Out View Post
    Watching Maynard tonight I saw 2 sides of him, we went a goal up & he was bouncing with glee, at 1-1 he kicked a water bottle,when we went 2-1 down he lost his cool,stalking around the tech area like a wounded pigeon in market square.
    All in all I don't think he showed the ability to handle it, he seemed a little weak under the pressure of managing a club like ours. I just don't think he has what it takes to command. What I do hope is that this downward spiral is stopped otherwise we are in trouble, hate to say it but this is shades of Fullerton.
    Nah, Fullarton spoke in management psychobabble and was appointed in a very different time and situation.

I was very interested to hear Maynard's post-match interview tonight, and whether he'd seen the same game as most of us, because Luke Williams' assessments were always candid, whereas some managers of years gone by appeared to be in denial, trying to convince us we had "battered" opponents and been unlucky when we clearly hadn't. It's said you learn far more from a defeat than a victory, but that's only true if you're honest with yourself about what happened.

I'm pleased to say Maynard's assessment seemed spot on: good start and goal, but then three poor goals and a collective defensive failure even in the face of only limited pressure, which he acknowledged has been a feature of the season. He acknowledged that a change in formation wasn't out of the question - indeed they tried it in the latter stages of the game, and admitted there would need to be a lot of hard work on the training pitch, which there will, but his interview was candid and accurate, not deluded.

It would be ridiculous to judge a manager's capabilities or impact on the team - good or bad - in three games, but tonight's defensive efforts will certainly have helped him see what needs putting right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dug Out View Post
    Watching Maynard tonight I saw 2 sides of him, we went a goal up & he was bouncing with glee, at 1-1 he kicked a water bottle,when we went 2-1 down he lost his cool,stalking around the tech area like a wounded pigeon in market square.
    All in all I don't think he showed the ability to handle it, he seemed a little weak under the pressure of managing a club like ours. I just don't think he has what it takes to command. What I do hope is that this downward spiral is stopped otherwise we are in trouble, hate to say it but this is shades of Fullerton.
    I think it to early to say about SM,s ability. See the thing is we were already on a downward spiral when he arrived, so its hard to say he is to blame.
    Most managers can come into a team that is set up well and that is winning and do well, but its whether managers can come into a team that is doing poorly and turn it around -thats what seperates the men from the boys
    As for being in trouble we are 22 points ahead of relegation, so it would be some collapse for us to end up in trouble this season . and for SM to be similar to Fullarton he would have to be really poor , or maybe just lacking experience
    We all knew that a rough patch would come sooner or later, its how Notts County deal with it that will determine our immediate and longeer term future

Tippy tappy, slippy sloppy. It worked in non-league, doesn't in League 2. Why do we have to persist in this abysmal mantra. Sod Pep, let's go Jürgen heavy metal football. 70 percent possession, 3-1 loss. Time to wake up.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodypie View Post
    Tippy tappy, slippy sloppy. It worked in non-league, doesn't in League 2. Why do we have to persist in this abysmal mantra. Sod Pep, let's go Jürgen heavy metal football. 70 percent possession, 3-1 loss. Time to wake up.
    Do both!

Keeping the ball is generally a good policy because you control the game that way, but when we do lose possession, absolutely go 'heavy metal' in trying to win it back, and don't be timid about "leaving one" on the opponent in the process.

Without doubt, the football we played in possession under Luke Williams was the most entertaining and attractive I've seen from Notts in 30 years, but having been brought up on the success of Warnock and Allardyce I certainly don't like seeing Notts teams being "nice" or "soft" out of possession, and recently we have been. When we haven't got the ball we look like a pretty weak bunch, and that grates!

We need to continue making it difficult for opponents to get the ball off us, but when they do, we need to make them wish they hadn't!

I liked the great Manchester Utd team under Sir Alex: the likes Beckham, Scholes, Ronaldo and Giggs weaving magic in possession, and the likes of Keane and Stam/Vidic kicking the sh*t out of anyone who the temerity to interrupt!
    Last edited by jackal2; 10-02-2024 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Nah, Fullarton spoke in management psychobabble and was appointed in a very different time and situation.

I was very interested to hear Maynard's post-match interview tonight, and whether he'd seen the same game as most of us, because Luke Williams' assessments were always candid, whereas some managers of years gone by appeared to be in denial, trying to convince us we had "battered" opponents and been unlucky when we clearly hadn't. It's said you learn far more from a defeat than a victory, but that's only true if you're honest with yourself about what happened.

I'm pleased to say Maynard's assessment seemed spot on: good start and goal, but then three poor goals and a collective defensive failure even in the face of only limited pressure, which he acknowledged has been a feature of the season. He acknowledged that a change in formation wasn't out of the question - indeed they tried it in the latter stages of the game, and admitted there would need to be a lot of hard work on the training pitch, which there will, but his interview was candid and accurate, not deluded.

It would be ridiculous to judge a manager's capabilities or impact on the team - good or bad - in three games, but tonight's defensive efforts will certainly have helped him see what needs putting right.
    He isn’t gonna get much time on the training pitch this week. 2 games against very tough opposition, both of which are very strong at home whilst we have been ****e away. Any points from the next 2 games will be a bonus. The problem is, can this squad do that or are we staring at our 3rd and 4th losses in a row?
    SM needs to do something different or Notts fans will quickly lose patience with him. We have seldom looked like scoring in 3 games. Our best players are looking average. Our worst players look piss poor.

Quote Originally Posted by MapperleyMagpie View Post
    When I came on here and said Warnock I was shouted down ! Any of those people want to come back at me and defend our position now?
    Warnock lost his 1st game in charge up in jock land you know.just saying.

How long has been been in charge?

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    How long has been been in charge?
    8 days ,23 hrs'17 minutes and 24 seconds.

Can SM make the tough decisions needed.If he doesnt then the fans will turn quickly .Stone and Cameron must be dropped and the latter is a tough decision.

We have a habit of showing our good side and bad side during every game. We started off very good but once a team gets the upper hand we look panic stricken.
    What was highlighted was our lack of physicality in terms of size of player. As much as I didn't like Gills tactics it was something we don't have in our locker.
    The biggest issue in my opinion is that we are playing wing backs that aren't wing backs, they are out and out wingers and are exposed defensively.
    It's too early to judge SM he's only been in the house a short while but I think he has what it takes, I hope so.

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast