+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Clearout Who Would You Let Go?

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    and Maynard
    Ridiculous thing to suggest after 3 games.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Wouldn’t want to be in the trenches with any of you lot - first shot fired and you would be waving the white flag! - get a bloody grip!!
    I wouldn't want to be in the trenches with that lot. First sight of an attacker with a ball and they stand off and would wave a white flag if they'd got one.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Ridiculous thing to suggest after 3 games.
    Maybe not if you take the 147 previous games for Wealdstone into account, where he had a 30% win rate. And that's in a league where we got more than 100 points. I am not seeing the logic of his appointment, which, incidentally, was not made by the bros but our other director, Richard Montague of Football Radar. Like his selection of Morias, his judgement is not infallible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Maybe not if you take the 147 previous games for Wealdstone into account, where he had a 30% win rate. And that's in a league where we got more than 100 points. I am not seeing the logic of his appointment, which, incidentally, was not made by the bros but our other director, Richard Montague of Football Radar. Like his selection of Morias, his judgement is not infallible.
    What would you say is an acceptable consistent win rate over 150 games for Wealdstone in the National League?

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I know some are under contract but if it was a perfect world:

Stone
    Nemane
    Cameron
    Brindley
    Baldwin
    Morias
    Randall
    O Brien
    McGoldrick (possibly)
    Slocombe
    I’d rephrase the question to get a similar answer: which of these players is not good enough to get us promoted?

Stone
    Nemane (as a wing back)
    Cameron
    Chicksen
    Brindley
    Morias
    Randall (still unproven, but can never stay fit)
    Rawlinson
    O’Brien
    Slocombe
    Adebayo-Rowling (can never stay fit)
    Austin

(And I think McGoldrick should be an impact sub at this stage of his career, not playing 90 minutes every game.)

The obvious problem here is that this is the majority of the squad.

I asked at the fan forum last November about signing more physically powerful athletes and LW noted that everyone’s after these players, making it harder for us to land them. But isn’t that the whole point of Football Radar - to find such players? What it suggests to me is that we’ve failed to appreciate that part of the game at this level.

Right now, I’m just happy we have enough points on the board to be safe this season - I will be amazed if we get back into the playoffs this season based on the past few months. In fact, I can’t see where the next win is coming from - but hopefully it’s Wales. But it shows the huge job we’ve got in the summer to improve the squad.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    What would you say is an acceptable consistent win rate over 150 games for Wealdstone in the National League?
    If one of the best supported Premier League teams (Man Utd/Liverpool/Spurs) were going to poach somebody from an unfashionable championship club (Bristol City/Preston/Rotherham), you'd expect their results to be absolutely outstanding and fighting for auto promotion, not "acceptable" and merely maintaining their position.

Notts literally now average 10 times what Wealdstone do, so in those terms it would be like Liverpool hiring Northampton or Exeter's manager.

This looked like a stupid appointment from the outset and results so far are bearing that out.

Maynard is the 27th new Notts manager in the dugout this century and if he doesn't win at either Newport or Wrexham (a strong possibility) he'll be one of only two of those 27 (and by god there's been some bad ones) who have failed to win any of their opening 5 in charge - Gary Brazil 2nd spell being the other.

It's more pertinent to ask who we should keep. Apart from the ones that we would like to see gone I reckon we can add Langstaff and Jones given that I can't see either being here next season. We won't be left with much.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    This looked like a stupid appointment from the outset and results so far are bearing that out.
    Most of the criticisms being levelled at Maynard were also levelled at LW when he came. Didn't LW say in his interview last week that he had registered to train as an electrician when Notts came calling?

LW didn't have a stellar CV by any means. LW didn't have a great win ratio. LW's first few results with us were poor. There were comments (and I don't mean isolated comments, I mean pretty widely shared views on here) like: "Notts really scraping the barrel with him", "What was he, eighth choice?"

LW turned out to be pretty good. I think it's way too early to say Maynard won't either. I think it's just pure scapegoating as fans are angry and need a lightning rod for their anger. I think Maynard is an easy target here because he used to have a proper job and is quietly spoken. That has very quickly translated into being "out of his depth" and having "no motivational skills". It's harsh on Maynard IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If one of the best supported Premier League teams (Man Utd/Liverpool/Spurs) were going to poach somebody from an unfashionable championship club (Bristol City/Preston/Rotherham), you'd expect their results to be absolutely outstanding and fighting for auto promotion, not "acceptable" and merely maintaining their position.
    Sorry I forgot to reply to this bit. None of the teams you mentioned are part time and working with very low crowds (I suppose Rotherham in the Championship would be the nearest of the three to Wealdstone in the National League).

For sure if Maynard had got Wealdstone to the automatic promotion fight and getting absolutely outstanding results in the NL then it would've been a remarkable feat, but the Notts hierarchy obviously felt that keeping Wealdstone where they were in the NL on those resources, while not training full time, while playing good football showed that Maynard is a good manager.

Thay may or may not turn out to be true in the long term, but I don't think it was a stupid or illogical decision to give him a try.

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Most of the criticisms being levelled at Maynard were also levelled at LW when he came. Didn't LW say in his interview last week that he had registered to train as an electrician when Notts came calling?

LW didn't have a stellar CV by any means. LW didn't have a great win ratio. LW's first few results with us were poor. There were comments (and I don't mean isolated comments, I mean pretty widely shared views on here) like: "Notts really scraping the barrel with him", "What was he, eighth choice?"

LW turned out to be pretty good. I think it's way too early to say Maynard won't either. I think it's just pure scapegoating as fans are angry and need a lightning rod for their anger. I think Maynard is an easy target here because he used to have a proper job and is quietly spoken. That has very quickly translated into being "out of his depth" and having "no motivational skills". It's harsh on Maynard IMO.
    Expecting lightning to strike twice with this sort of punt seems mighty hubristic.

We got lucky with LW for sure. I think they only considered him out of desperation, after numerous others had turned the job down. He did actually have a reasonably decent unbeaten start though - won his opening game, drew the next three (the last of those being *that* Chesterfield game) and then went on a winning streak. Had he had the sort of start Maynard has had, things may have worked out quite differently.

Seeing that we didn't have anybody lined up this time around, despite knowing LW would likely leave for many many weeks beforehand, it could well be that Maynard wasn't first choice either.

It probably is unfair to judge Maynard after 3 games, but looking at the other names who made a bad start and factoring in most of those walked into a club down at the bottom of the table as opposed to a play off position, it's definitely not a promising start.

I'm sure he'll do OK-ish once we run into those fixtures against lower-mid table opponents but can't see him being a success. I'd anticipate we're gong to waste 18 months on him similar to Burchnall, though in this case it'll end by "mutual consent" rather than him being poached by another club.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast