+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Clearout Who Would You Let Go?

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Ok, I understand that you are not impressed with his achievements at Wealdstone, I am curious to know what the right level of achievements with Wealdstone would be to satisfy you that he's a good manager.
    If he'd matched Wealdtone's previous highs at 5th tier level - champions, 3rd and 4th - then I'd have been impressed. Even if he'd managed them out of tier 6, but he didn't, he was merely the assistant. He's like Gary Brazil to Sam Allardyce, finishing higher in 1999 than Sam did in 1998, after Sam left.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Maybe not if you take the 147 previous games for Wealdstone into account, where he had a 30% win rate. And that's in a league where we got more than 100 points. I am not seeing the logic of his appointment, which, incidentally, was not made by the bros but our other director, Richard Montague of Football Radar. Like his selection of Morias, his judgement is not infallible.
    30% win rate is very respectable for a Wealdstone team that were part time, barely trained, had one of if not the smallest budget in the league and were predicted to be relegated every season.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If he'd matched Wealdtone's previous highs at 5th tier level - champions, 3rd and 4th - then I'd have been impressed. Even if he'd managed them out of tier 6, but he didn't, he was merely the assistant. He's like Gary Brazil to Sam Allardyce, finishing higher in 1999 than Sam did in 1998, after Sam left.
    Ok so you want him to replicate or nearly replicate the 5th tier Championship winning season from 1985, only this time do it with part time players against almost exclusively full time opposition on crowds of 1500 (18th best in the league). That's quite an ask.

As I'm sure you could guess, I was pushing you to answer that question because I knew the answer would be unreasonable, and you didn't disappoint. Fair play to you for answering, though.

If that is realistic then I think serious questions need to be asked of the Luton, Everton, Burnley, Sheffield Utd managers as to why they are not in the mix for the PL title.

Ok so you want him to replicate or nearly replicate the 5th tier Championship winning season from 1985, only this time do it with part time players against almost exclusively full time opposition on crowds of 1500 (18th best in the league). That's quite an ask.

As I'm sure you could guess, I was pushing you to answer that question because I knew the answer would be unreasonable, and you didn't disappoint. Fair play to you for answering, though.

If that is realistic then I think serious questions need to be asked of the Luton, Everton, Burnley, Sheffield Utd managers as to why they are not in the mix for the PL title.
    Serious questions would need to be asked if a last 16 Champions League club was looking at where Luton, Everton, Burnley and Sheff United are now and thinking it a good idea to poach their manager.

Serious questions would need to be asked if a last 16 Champions League club was looking at where Luton, Everton, Burnley and Sheff United are now and thinking it a good idea to poach their manager.
    Do you think that because you don't rate Maynard, the brothers are going to ditch him after 3 games?

They don't work like that, taking a long term view.

I am willing to give him time - not sure what he could have done about the goals on Friday. Unless of course you think that he can't see there is a real problem, one that LW never dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Do you think that because you don't rate Maynard, the brothers are going to ditch him after 3 games?

They don't work like that, taking a long term view.

I am willing to give him time - not sure what he could have done about the goals on Friday. Unless of course you think that he can't see there is a real problem, one that LW never dealt with.
    As I’ve said before, I think SM is a bizzare appointment, however I’m not sure he’s been given a level playing field given the lack of interest in the club regarding recruitment. If anything he’s on a hiding to nothing because of the failings of the club in the last year regarding recruitment areas and the ‘ideaology that is insisted on been played on the pitch.
    Last edited by keldsyke; 11-02-2024 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    I've already made my prediction, either on this thread or one of the others, that he'll be here until the end of next season and then leave by "mutual consent", unless he has a Thordarsson run-in of 1 win in 16 leaving us just above the drop - I don't think he'd survive that, but I'd expect him to start picking up results when we run into lower-mid table opponents.

Well that is usually because managers down their have completely different styles of football to the top teams, but when they don't, it can happen. Celtic are a Champions League Club and they got Brendan Rogers after he took Leicester to the bottom of the Prem because they liked his style of football.

Pochettino got his first big job on the back of taking Southampton to upper mid table because they liked the way his team played.

De Zerbi got the Brighton job despite a previously chequered career never having won anything, because they liked his football and saw potential as he over performed at small clubs where resources were limited. That's off the top of my head - there are probably more.

Getting back to the original question, do you really think it's realistic to expect him to win or nearly win the NL with a part time club? I think he did have them top of the table for a while one season (cant remember any of the other part time clubs doing that), do you honestly think he should have kept them there competing against big ex FL clubs and established full time National League clubs?

Getting back to the original question, do you really think it's realistic to expect him to win or nearly win the NL with a part time club? I think he did have them top of the table for a while one season (cant remember any of the other part time clubs doing that), do you honestly think he should have kept them there competing against big ex FL clubs and established full time National League clubs?

To be a realistic candidate for a 4th tier club with ambitions of going into tier 3 (with me perhaps wrongly assuming that we are) I would expect him to be winning significantly more games than he loses, overachieving at the right end of the table to justify a step up to the higher level. Either he's shown that he's got what it takes to mount a promotion challenge or he hasn't. Finishing bottom half of tier 5 three seasons in a row says he hasn't. He has no experience of managing a club fighting for and achieving promotion. All he has is being no.2 in the NL South in a season that was cut short due to Covid and Wealdstone being declared champions on PPG with 9 games left to play.

To be a realistic candidate for a 4th tier club with ambitions of going into tier 3 (with me perhaps wrongly assuming that we are) I would expect him to be winning significantly more games than he loses, overachieving at the right end of the table to justify a step up to the higher level. Either he's shown that he's got what it takes to mount a promotion challenge or he hasn't. Finishing bottom half of tier 5 three seasons in a row says he hasn't. He has no experience of managing a club fighting for and achieving promotion. All he has is being no.2 in the NL South in a season that was cut short due to Covid and Wealdstone being declared champions on PPG with 9 games left to play.
    Well, of course he hasn't won significantly more games than he has lost, with a tiny budget and a squad of part time players in a full time league. If he had, he'd be almost a miracle worker and would've been poached to a higher level than Notts before now.

it seems you don't want to take into account the relationship between achievements and resources available. Seeing as that is the main part of my argument, we've probably taken this as far as is possible.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast