+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Summer Clearout Who Would You Let Go?

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    Why?
    Because he had 2 jobs there before they gave him the first team one.

Btw I’m not saying Maynard isn’t going to work out for the reasons we’re talking about, I’m just suggesting that even by our standards, we’ve made a very left field appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The Northampton boss didn't get the 1st team job because of what he did in non-league the previous decade. They sacked Curle's assistant at the same time, so he would have been the last person left to take hold of the reins whilst they looked for a replacement. Presumably he was a popular enough character with the players to justify sticking with for longer and he's turned out to be another one of those happy accidents, like Nigel Adkins who joined Scunny as a physio having previously managed Bangor City, got into the hot seat as caretaker and ended up managing in the Premier League.

Honestly, I think you could literally grab random supporters off the terraces and put them in the dug out and one or two would somehow have the personality and natural leadership skills to hit it off with the players and fans and get something going. Probability wise though, to give yourself the best chance of success you look to appoint somebody with experience of navigating their way out of the situation you're in.
    Why do you presume that he was appointed because he was popular with the players? More likely imo that it was because they saw potential in him as manager, and he has done a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Why do you presume that he was appointed because he was popular with the players? .
    Because he'd have been around long enough to get to know people as a regular member of staff, bringing through a handful now in the first team squad. "Knows the club" as the cliché goes. It very often works that way with caretakers, they're on more pally terms and you get a sudden upturn in results. Doesn't usually last long but there's always the odd one who's able to seize the opportunity to carve out a long term career. platformed by that initial good will.
    Do you think they would have grabbed him straight from Brackley in tier 6 to manage them in tier 3?
    Last edited by upthemaggies; 11-02-2024 at 11:23 PM.

Because he'd have been around long enough to get to know people as a regular member of staff, bringing through a handful now in the first team squad. "Knows the club" as the cliché goes. It very often works that way with caretakers, they're on more pally terms and you get a sudden upturn in results. Doesn't usually last long but there's always the odd one who's able to seize the opportunity to carve out a long term career. platformed by that initial good will.
    Do you think they would have grabbed him straight from Brackley in tier 6 to manager them in tier 3?
    So it was because of his work, and not because he was popular with the players. You do a great dis-service to Jon Brady when you probably know little about him!

I don't think that he would have come straight from Brackley (although I do remember that he was mentioned as a possible new manager for the Cobblers when he was at Brackley).

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post

I don't think that he would have come straight from Brackley .
    Right, so not comparable with Maynard then. We really have gone out on a limb with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Because he had 2 jobs there before they gave him the first team one.

Btw I’m not saying Maynard isn’t going to work out for the reasons we’re talking about, I’m just suggesting that even by our standards, we’ve made a very left field appointment.
    No more left field than Williams who's only other head coach job was relegating Swindon with a 26% win rate. I'd never heard of him until he was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    No more left field than Williams who's only other head coach job was relegating Swindon with a 26% win rate. I'd never heard of him until he was announced.
    It was a pretty wild appointment but 75 games in charge of a tier 3 club averaging 7k odd (two levels above where we were when we employed him) is hardly comparable to a part time manager of a non-club watched by 1k odd (more than a division's worth below).

Right, so not comparable with Maynard then. We really have gone out on a limb with this one.
    A very long limb.

The thing is, we had assembled a squad of players who should have pissed that league if Wrexham had not been with us, It didnt matter who we appointed as coach, he could not fail with that team.. LW was a very lucky person to be the one to get us back into the EFL.. He is probably no better now than when he got sacked from Swindon. Maynard is on a loser, because he doesn't have the quality of players that LW had. The transfer window signings were all a joke, and i wonder what the Bros plan for the future really is..

If you think the appointment of someone with a 10 year career in full time football, including being head coach at Swindon and assistant at Swansea and MK Dons is as left field getting in someone who’s been part time at Hemel Hempstead Town and Wealdstone, fair enough

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast