+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our Strikers...

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I think Wilson will be sold in the summer - fact he was clearly being touted or his agent was touting him suggests that the decision to a large degree has been made.

I would keep Isak myself but he doesn't need someone else along side him. As we get players of better quality I think we'll see more of him and less of injury.
    I disagree with respect. Could you imagine a player just behind him anticipating his runs and position like de Bryune or a player like Bergkamp cteating chsnces? A player to take the focus off him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    I disagree with respect. Could you imagine a player just behind him anticipating his runs and position like de Bryune or a player like Bergkamp cteating chsnces? A player to take the focus off him.
    I think initial comment was about striker partnership. De Bruyne has deeper role, I’d like Bruno to play in a similar mood.

I dont know what the board plans are for the summer, but could see us heading into next season with Barnes - Bruno - Gordon supporting Isak and Tonali - Longstaff (New DM) just behind them.
    Sadly or not, this means we’d only be looking for a back up forward, may be young prospect

All we need is fit, strong, chunky, younger up and coming Wilson type striker in his early 20's

I know difficult to find but every so often they emerge from the lower leagues both here and abroad and it's worth an intensive look until we achieve.

Or find someone like Ferguson at Brighton...imagine that!

They are out there. We just need to be watching and first out of the starting blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marat18 View Post
    I think initial comment was about striker partnership. De Bruyne has deeper role, I’d like Bruno to play in a similar mood.

I dont know what the board plans are for the summer, but could see us heading into next season with Barnes - Bruno - Gordon supporting Isak and Tonali - Longstaff (New DM) just behind them.
    Sadly or not, this means we’d only be looking for a back up forward, may be young prospect
    Yeah, De Bruyne was maybe a bad example. Number 10, Sheringham type that has a free role, can work up top and drop into midfield. That kind if thing. Beardsley.

Yeah, De Bruyne was maybe a bad example. Number 10, Sheringham type that has a free role, can work up top and drop into midfield. That kind if thing. Beardsley.
    Thats the point.
    If we talk about this style partnership, then I cant think about the team that plays this way nowadays. May be Salah - Nunez? Or Salah - Firminho before that?
    Sorry, hasnt watched much of the footy lately.

I think Eddie prefers one striker with two wingers as support. Something like Chelsea’s Drogba and Cole - Robben.
    He played Wilson - Isak few times, but Isak was more wide on the left on those occasions.

Then again - Howe only plays the players he has

Quote Originally Posted by Marat18 View Post
    Thats the point.
    If we talk about this style partnership, then I cant think about the team that plays this way nowadays. May be Salah - Nunez? Or Salah - Firminho before that?
    Sorry, hasnt watched much of the footy lately.

I think Eddie prefers one striker with two wingers as support. Something like Chelsea’s Drogba and Cole - Robben.
    He played Wilson - Isak few times, but Isak was more wide on the left on those occasions.

Then again - Howe only plays the players he has
    Possibly. Has he ever been known to play using another style or formation?

Formations in my opinion can be anything. With a slight positional adjustment by one or two players a 3/5/2 can be 5/3/2 as easily as it can be 5/4/1 or 4/4/2 depending on your tactics and personnel so I don't think slotting in a free role for a talented attacking player would be impossible if he could flip between attack and midfield easily. Even a 4/3/3 could become a a 4/5/1 or 4/4/2 quite easily with small player adjustments. I don't believe the modern player would be so thick that they couldn't tweak their game to fit.

Possibly. Has he ever been known to play using another style or formation?

Formations in my opinion can be anything. With a slight positional adjustment by one or two players a 3/5/2 can be 5/3/2 as easily as it can be 5/4/1 or 4/4/2 depending on your tactics and personnel so I don't think slotting in a free role for a talented attacking player would be impossible if he could flip between attack and midfield easily. Even a 4/3/3 could become a a 4/5/1 or 4/4/2 quite easily with small player adjustments. I don't believe the modern player would be so thick that they couldn't tweak their game to fit.
    Completely agree, and I think we have a lot of the players to be able to be fluid between all of this.

Out of all of the starting players under Howe, I’d drop Miggy first to accommodate being able to effectively play 3 centre backs on a 3/5/2 or 5/3/2 fluid style… but not sure if I would have Gordon or Barnes supporting Isak or Wilson, and the other running from midfield… likely it would be Gordon out of midfield as he can play on the right and we would likely have Tino out middle left to drop back into a 5 at the back (if that all makes sense)

Obviously depends on who we go for in the summer, and that approach would reduce the number of midfield spots available

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)