+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dike - It’s Time To Do One!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Good job he’s not a race horse!
    He would have been copydex a long time ago!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Of course we all feel for him but West Bromwich Albion Football Club is not a charity and a business. It's embarrassing in our financial situation we are paying money in a cost of living crisis that many dream about to a player who breaks down time and time again. In these situations we need to get rid. Same with Bartley lets say who has been solid this season - he's on his last legs, injury prone and on 38K a week. Is it sensible to keep him in our position? Is it sensible to keep Matt Phillips who consistently plays half a season almost every season?

Decisions should be made on business not emotive when huge salaries are on the table! As much as I hate Lai - he sadly did not buy:

Grady 15 million
    Grant 15 million
    Dike 7 Million
    Zohorse 8 million
    From a business point of view no one can argue with a word you say on this. On a humanity level the guy was gutted. He must have been wanting to make up for lost time so much and now has to face a long treatment programme again. Mentally that’s very tough on him. From a physical point of view I know how painful a torn Achilles is. No quick fix either.

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    We bought Dike and I don’t believe that he showed any signs of being injury prone then. When his injuries have healed, he has shown the enthusiasm to play, unlike Zohore, so rather just get rid asap, the club has, I think, shown commendable loyalty to him in their efforts to rehabilitate. It may well be that his second Achilles injury will bring his playing days to an end, almost certainly it will as far as Albion are concerned. As I have said, I think the club has acted honourably regarding Dike and I wish the bloke all the best for the future, whatever it may hold for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Second all that Ketts��
    Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    I'll third that. Good luck to him
    I find myself having to agree with the above.

Let’s wait and see what the prognosis is before we make any career ending decisions. CC has, about the Dike injury, stated

“It’s different with Daryl Dike because that one looks more like a serious injury. Something similar to the previous one, but we still don’t know. We are going to have to wait for the scan. We need to see if the scans show any type of serious injury. It looks like a serious one.”

We can assume the worst I guess but we don’t actually know at this time. (Of course I understand I may not be totally up to speed on this). So before we throw this 23 year old out on his backside let’s hear all there is to hear.

Saying that there is a humanity side to this. He has shown great resilience in coming back from what it sounds as though was a similar previous injury. So should we be tossing him to the wolves yet. I think not.

We run a fairly tight ship in business but, and here is the but, I would never ever discard a member of staff simply because they are suffering with health issues, whether that be physical or mental or otherwise. I support them, I encourage them to seek the help they need for whatever reason they need it.

If, and thankfully it has never happened yet, a colleague did act in a way that led to gross misconduct and that required me to let them go, then I would have no hesitation in doing so. Employees are the most valuable assets to most businesses, certainly in ours, so in my experience you give them the time, the space and whatever else it takes to get them back their best health wise and back to work.

I think we owe it the Daryle Dike to manage this injury and then once he is fit make the decision in consultation with him as to what the club does next.

As people have pointed out above, we can’t throw him out without fixing what he damaged playing for us as that would be an absolute disgrace in my view, and it would leave the club players would shy away from coming too in future.
    Last edited by On Balance; 11-02-2024 at 09:35 AM.

Aside from the humility factor, the club cannot do anything about the current situation. He’s under contract. Paying the contract up isn’t a possibility at the minute and there’s no point anyway.

Might as well try to get him back fit and attempt to get a player out of him no matter how unlikely that is. We’re paying for him either way!

Quote Originally Posted by baggiematt View Post
    Aside from the humility factor, the club cannot do anything about the current situation. He’s under contract. Paying the contract up isn’t a possibility at the minute and there’s no point anyway.

Might as well try to get him back fit and attempt to get a player out of him no matter how unlikely that is. We’re paying for him either way!

You are right Matt! Unless fit and a run of games proving his worth - who would buy him anyway? Same with Grant - he could happily do nothing until his contract is up and then what's his worth? I would say from the 15 million we paid we would be lucky to get 3 million back!

He is an asset and I think that real expertise should be sought to discover just why these things keep on happening and what is the best way forward. For me the primary consideration must be to get him fully fit again.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Btw Acido mate, I’m having a Peanut Banoffee Pie Imperial Pastry Stout at 12,0% ABV atm. From Nottingham btw, Neon Raptor Brewing Co. I do like them strong ones… 😎
    Don't be disgusting kid. 😵
    Peanut and banoffee flavoured beer/ale lol, whatever will they think of next!!. 🍺
    Hey you haven't been giving Dazza Dike this stuff have you, hhmmm now its all becoming clear, hes been nobbled.

I’m in the compassionate camp.To me he looked threatening and certainly provided a physical presence, but is sadly very injury prone.
    We will never know how good (or otherwise) he is, but I am also of the opinion that he has not been ‘swinging the lead’ and he is genuinely devastated to have received another injury.

Nobody works harder than Dike to get back to fitness, he also goe's home and away with the team .
    Players like Zahore seem to enjoy being injured and will stretch it out,you will also never see them on match day .
    I once badly broke my right leg , got back work then played 2 Sunday league games and snapped my left leg .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)