+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matchday Thread: Exeter v Derby

Let’s just give him a chance when he’s fit. We’re committed to spending £300k on him and it was known he had a fitness issue at the time of signing. Have to hope it’s entirely temporary and he’s not another in the list of ‘sick notes’.
    As for ‘Grizzly’…just what we want…but I think he’s been booked in every appearance so far…that has to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    ...although you have sort of put it in our minds...

I'm more bothered that we manage to keep hold of Adams, we appear to have the bruiser we've been craving
    Now Bird has been released from his more defensive duties (some would say released from nursing CH), he is showing what he has in his locker. My biggest concern is how we are going to replace him.

Ebou? Will command a fee in the summer as his Cardiff contract runs to the summer of 2025. Use the balance of the Bird fee to fund buying Ebou?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Now Bird has been released from his more defensive duties (some would say released from nursing CH), he is showing what he has in his locker. My biggest concern is how we are going to replace him.
    Frustrating isn’t it? I completely agree with your appraisal and think Bird has had a bit of a disappointing season overall. Only now, when we finally sign what everyone knows we’ve needed for ages, do we finally see what MB is capable of when encouraged to play to his strengths.
    I bet those who’ve signed him for Bristol City - aided and abetted by his former colleagues - knew that. Classic example of the Derby Way.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Frustrating isn’t it? I completely agree with your appraisal and think Bird has had a bit of a disappointing season overall. Only now, when we finally sign what everyone knows we’ve needed for ages, do we finally see what MB is capable of when encouraged to play to his strengths.
    I bet those who’ve signed him for Bristol City - aided and abetted by his former colleagues - knew that. Classic example of the Derby Way.
    It isn't though is it?

The facts are quite simple, although I know you choose to ignore them in your repeated ill founded criticism of the club. Or if I give you the benefit of the doubt, its just your frustration that leads to you making such statements.

1. Derby having exited administration just over 18 months ago are operating to a business plan, which restricts both the amount they can pay in transfer fees and the wages they can offer.

2. This inevitably restricts the players they can recruit, to either loans or free transfers with the occasional purchase.

3.No doubt Warne would have loved to have signed Adams or similar last summer, but couldn't afford him (his contract runs to 2025) and he wasn't available on loan, nor were other similar players he might have liked. He has signed him on loan when he could.

4. Derby offered Bird a new contract, the guy decided he'd rather sign for Bristol City already in the championship, no doubt on a higher salary than Derby could offer at the moment. However, he has agreed and Derby have managed to retain his services until the end of the season.

Given the situation under which Derby are operating, whilst "everyone" might have known we needed a strong midfield player, that everyone more than likely included Warne and his coaching staff, but were hamstrung (pun intended) by the lack of wriggle room in the business plan.

So far from it being a classic example of the Derby way, it seems to me its actually the reverse, because a classic example would be Bird being sold, with no loan back period (free of wages apparently) and for a sum less than his value with no incoming player on loan to beef up the midfield.

Instead, Derby have made the best of their circumstances and should also be given credit for managing to get Cashin to sign a new contract.

I wonder if the club did as I suggested in one thread on here and offered him a deal that included him being able to leave for, say, £1M in the summer if we don't go up.

Conversely, he might think he'll progress better as a player by changing employer or simply relishes a fresh challenge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)