+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Newport County 13.02.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Thats utter rubbish. he would still have played both Nemane and Jodi as wingbacks, and the goals against would racked up even more. It was pretty clear from the players reactions that their confidence had completely gone. Williams had run out of ideas (well he never had any )
    I don't know what you're getting so wound up about, but if that's an attempt to re-write our story it's going to fail. Everyone (almost) knows LW is one of the best we've ever had - record pts, record goals, taking us from perennial play-off failures to a L2 play-off position. When have we been entertained as much? And what other coach oversaw an almost doubling of the gate during his tenure?

You've read and quoted it wrong about the rest too. Adopting a defensive approach and playing a 4 are 2 separate things.
    SM changed because, believe it or not, he was pretty desperate, even after 3 games. As he said in his pre-match yesterday, the players haven't really practised that shape (so credit to them). There will be costs and benefits to changing, that goes without saying.

FWIW, one benefit I'm really looking forward to is about free-ing up certain players. Moving from LW's system of play, to SM, and now to a very different shape, represents a big shift in decision-making power from head coach to the players. We saw this advantage straight away at Newport. McGoldrick, Crowley and Jones free-styling behind Maca (and inter-changing) is a mouth-watering prospect. If it clicks, with each on top of his game, we could be getting something really special. Let's hope we see it today. COYP

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Read that back to yourself durham.

And then maybe seek therapy.
    Well i asked this question but all you LW idols will not answer. LW had lost the plot 6 out the last 9 he lost, was clueless how to sort it out. And yes i agree with Durham what did LW actully do, come in to a team set up on a plate with Langstaff and scot scoring 60 goals. Then all this nonsense about a slump because LW left
    I think is you that needs therapy

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I don't know what you're getting so wound up about, but if that's an attempt to re-write our story it's going to fail. Everyone (almost) knows LW is one of the best we've ever had - record pts, record goals, taking us from perennial play-off failures to a L2 play-off position. When have we been entertained as much? And what other coach oversaw an almost doubling of the gate during his tenure?

You've read and quoted it wrong about the rest too. Adopting a defensive approach and playing a 4 are 2 separate things.
    SM changed because, believe it or not, he was pretty desperate, even after 3 games. As he said in his pre-match yesterday, the players haven't really practised that shape (so credit to them). There will be costs and benefits to changing, that goes without saying.

FWIW, one benefit I'm really looking forward to is about free-ing up certain players. Moving from LW's system of play, to SM, and now to a very different shape, represents a big shift in decision-making power from head coach to the players. We saw this advantage straight away at Newport. McGoldrick, Crowley and Jones free-styling behind Maca (and inter-changing) is a mouth-watering prospect. If it clicks, with each on top of his game, we could be getting something really special. Let's hope we see it today. COYP
    You cant resist can you. Any oppurtunity to say how great LW was, Give it a rest.
    LW has gone now, and we are with SM

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Well i asked this question but all you LW idols will not answer. LW had lost the plot 6 out the last 9 he lost, was clueless how to sort it out.
    You might be right that he lost the plot and was clueless how to sort it out, but I think it more likely his mind was elsewhere and no longer fully focussed on the immediate task in hand. It's too much of a coincidence that the slump began around the same time his head was being turned, first by Oxford (beginning the week before we played Wrexham at home IIRC) and then by Swansea. Yes the Mansfield home defeat came before all of that, but so did the isolated disaster at Sutton.

The Walsall home defeat was the only game during that slump that we would have expected to win but didn't. All of the other bad results were away and all of those, apart from his very last game at Tranny, were away to sides currently in or around the play offs. If we'd drawn 2 or 3 of those 5 defeats it would not have been a slump but instead recognised as a tough run of fixtures that we came through relatively unscathed, yet would have been only 2 or 3 points better off.

LW has gone now, and we are with SM
    Thanks for the update

If people wish to discuss LW constantly use the Swansea thread.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    If people wish to discuss LW constantly use the Swansea thread.
    exactly - cus im fed up of hearing how great he is every time i come onto a post

exactly - cus im fed up of hearing how great he is every time i come onto a post
    I thought Luke Williams was great for us.

So did I😂

You’re absolutely right Elite. LW did a wonderful job and got us promoted. That’s now history and the future is with Stuart Maynard.
    We are going through a transition, and we may not, and have no right to assume we will be promoted this season. We are back in the Football League and I for one am enjoying the Notts journey now, more than any time in all my years of watching.

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031