+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Newport County 13.02.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Because UTM is, for some reason, obsessed with the history of clubs, managers and players rather than the future.
    How do you draw any conclusions from the future? It doesn't exist yet. All clubs, managers, players are where they are because of what they have achieved or not achieved in the past. We most likely wouldn't be in this league with this manager with these owners right now if we hadn't lost to Gillingham in 2015. We wouldn't have the fan base we have now without what happened all the way back to 1862. I get that some people are uneasy with looking back due to personal life circumstances but this is how football works, it's an unfolding process, not something that resets every August with clubs being drawn randomly from a pot as to who gets to play in which league.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_magpie View Post
    It did, he made the 4231 really work. I was so impressed how the team took to it in such a short space of time of prep beforehand, possibly SM actually utilising his experience of being part time where he knew he had to get short key messages into the team the day before of what they needed to do.
    It’s going to be interesting to see if we switch between the 2 formations, I got a feeling we will for certain games but 4 at the back away seems to make a lot of sense.
    The thing is matt, we just dont have the players to play the wingback roll. Both Nemane and Jones are not suited to that roll, thats why we concede so many goals from crosses. Last night with playing an orthodox back 4, both Macari and Cameron managed to do what Nemane and Co have never previously been able to do... It didnt work under Williams. or Burchnall, so it needs forgetting about..

Sorry,have I logged onto the wrong forum??....a couple of days ago not many had confidence in either the manager or players and now most are saying that we might be good enough for play-offs....after that performance maybe we can dream a bit higher!
    Loads of belief in the club!
    COYP

Quote Originally Posted by for*sttown63 View Post
    Sorry,have I logged onto the wrong forum??....a couple of days ago not many had confidence in either the manager or players and now most are saying that we might be good enough for play-offs....after that performance maybe we can dream a bit higher!
    COYP
    Last night was the first time we got to hear Maynard speak after a win, so he's going to come across as much more confident and less tentative, perhaps people are now seeing signs that he will grow into the role.
    Having carved out the opportunity to challenge for promotion under LW, it would be a fail to miss out now, but as I've said, that would be on the owners not Maynard. It must be quite daunting to step up from managing in front of 1k to 11k and having to think about this job full time.

Some fans are unbelievable. Happens with us all the time. We had one on FB last night calling for our managers head - after we won. And, get this, they then said that if we "fluke" promotion it would be a disaster. I mean, where do you even start with drivel like that. How do you fluke promotion!?

I reckon it could take 6 months for a manager to get to grips with everything at a new club. Imagine having to get to know the players properly let alone doing all the other stuff. Coming into a club mid season will come with a whole load of challenges that many fans won't even consider.

I'm glad you beat Newport. Can't stand that lot. Horrible place too.

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    Some fans are unbelievable. Happens with us all the time. We had one on FB last night calling for our managers head - after we won. And, get this, they then said that if we "fluke" promotion it would be a disaster. I mean, where do you even start with drivel like that. How do you fluke promotion!?

I reckon it could take 6 months for a manager to get to grips with everything at a new club. Imagine having to get to know the players properly let alone doing all the other stuff. Coming into a club mid season will come with a whole load of challenges that many fans won't even consider.

I'm glad you beat Newport. Can't stand that lot. Horrible place too.
    Hopefully we go back to back in Wales 😉

How do you fluke promotion!?
    You go up due to a team who would have finished 9 points above you having 15 points deducted.

A team not too far from us did it in 2008.

I reckon it could take 6 months for a manager to get to grips with everything at a new club.
    For a manager stepping up a level, or one with little to no experience, definitely. Somebody who's seen and done it however can walk in and have an immediate impact and get you over the line or out of trouble.

That's the gamble we've made. Maynard might get us into the play offs as we hit form at the end of the season, but it looks like an appointment with another season in tier 4 very much in mind. No guarantees though that our better players will stick around and can be adequately replaced, that we will be in this position again next season and that the gates will remain as high as they are, it is a risk, all managers are, but wage package aside, this one objectively is a bigger risk than almost any other.

Quote Originally Posted by for*sttown63 View Post
    COYP
    Hello F-town ... I guess you have some mindless critters at MTFC too. They are spineless, attention seeking wasters with too much time at their fingertips. We learn to laugh at them, as no doubt you do too at your faint hearted wasters. Good luck for promotion ... so far you deserve it. YP's

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    Hello F-town ... I guess you have some mindless critters at MTFC too. They are spineless, attention seeking wasters with too much time at their fingertips. We learn to laugh at them, as no doubt you do too at your faint hearted wasters. Good luck for promotion ... so far you deserve it. YP's
    He's a Notts fan.
    His proximity to The Land That Time Forgot ought to be a source of sympathy not mockery.

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast