+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dundee United 2-1 Manchester City

Dundee United 2-1 Manchester City

Saturday 17th February 1962...my first ever United game watching a team of early 60s United legends beat City in a friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozzit View Post
    Saturday 17th February 1962...my first ever United game watching a team of early 60s United legends beat City in a friendly.
    First post and some history, 62 years an Arab puts you into select company, lang may your lum reek ⚽️

Is that the only time we have played them.

Never saw that match. In fact I never knew we had played them.

My first match was under floodlights, 17th April 1963, over at the Stadium of Disappointment on a very rainy night. As a wee kid I was excited to say the least. The Dees were hot favourites but Ian Mitchell came up trumps for the Terrors and we won 2-1.

Ian was my first favourite United player. Ian Redford was another and sadly both died far too young.
    I was behind the goal in Moenchengladbach when it seemed like time stood still before he knocked the ball in to seal our victory and send us to a UEFA Cup Final. If you had told me that rainy night in 63 that we would reach a UEFA Cup Final, win the Premier League and Scottish Cups I would have said eh?

Never forget our history.

DUFC 🧡

Quote Originally Posted by ROMA84 View Post
    Is that the only time we have played them.
    Think so. Just had a look at Arab Archive and I see in October 1961 we beat the British Army 3-1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Quote Originally Posted by shed-buoy View Post
    First post and some history, 62 years an Arab puts you into select company, lang may your lum reek ⚽️
    Another first post. Recall this game. Bert Trautmann a former German POW was in goal for Manchester City. He somehow played on in another game with a fractured bone in his neck. Some players today are unable to play with a broken fingernail.

Quote Originally Posted by Burach11 View Post
    Another first post. Recall this game. Bert Trautmann a former German POW was in goal for Manchester City. He somehow played on in another game with a fractured bone in his neck. Some players today are unable to play with a broken fingernail.
    I'm sure that was an FA Cup Final? 😂

I'm sure our keeper last season was playing with a broken neck.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I'm sure our keeper last season was playing with a broken neck.
    He definitely had a brass neck. 😢

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)