+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Rams v Stevenage

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Matchday Thread: Rams v Stevenage

Are we on a roll? Despite last weeks debacle we are starting to put a bit of a run together and some of the less convincing of the summer signings appear to be finding their way.

Me? 2-0 Derby, NML with another belter and JC

2-1 win as I'll be there. NML and Cashin for us.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    2-1 win as I'll be there. NML and Cashin for us.
    MA…what’s your record this season? It hasn’t seemed so good. Hoping you have a great weekend and celebrate an important win.
    Fearing an ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’ of an afternoon against a hard fighting Stevenage side with a flea in their ear from Mr. Nasty, aka Steve Evans. 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    MA…what’s your record this season? It hasn’t seemed so good. Hoping you have a great weekend and celebrate an important win.
    Fearing an ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’ of an afternoon against a hard fighting Stevenage side with a flea in their ear from Mr. Nasty, aka Steve Evans. 1-2.
    Off the top of my head, Pompey Draw, Bristol Rovers win, Burton win, Stevenage win,

Now, my take on the game. Depending on which hat you wear there's several ways of looking at it.

1st half. From one point of view it was a borefest of a game played in midfield with little happening in the goalmouth. There were 2 real chances, both to them. One saved well by JW and the other cleared off the line by Sonny Bradley who finally seems to have settled in and is showing exactly why we got him in. I don't remember us having a shot, on or off target. There were also some "pretty" passages of play which, unfortunately, led nowhere. For the neutral or the open minded there was plenty to see. A half of many faces. The South Stand started well but after 10 minutes or so, apart from the berating of Steve Evans, they and the rest of the crowd were pretty bland.

2md half saw the South Stand wake up and their infectiousness got to much of the ground ending in a lot of bouncing after the goal. The crowd's awakening seemed to light the players' blue touch paper and we were on top. A really enjoyable half that started to look like it would fade into a 0-0 draw... cue Sibs, the impact sub. Cracking ball for Smith to NML. Reports I've read go on to say NML crossed to Sibs.. I don't see it that way. They weren't all that far apart and I maintain that NML passed to Sibs who hit it first time into the bottom right hand corner of the net. Cue unbridled joy both on and off the pitch (unbridled joy if you're not Stevenage, their players were stunned, fans too, Steve Evans just got mardy as did others in his staff, one of whom got a yellow for his efforts). Worth the win, IMO.

Steve Evans? Will he ever answer the question posed by the South Stand? Has he ever seen it? Post match he claimed they should have had a penalty for a hand ball in the lead up to Bradley's goal line block. I won't comment on that as I didn't see it, if it happened. What Evans did miss was the 2 occasions in the first half when Derby players were thrown to the ground in the Stevenage penalty area. I've not yet seen the 2nd half charge on Barks back yet but it looked like a red from my vantage point on the front row some 10 yards North of the halfway line.

The ref? I have to say I found him even handed. Both sets of players were guilty of holding opponents and the ref ignored 90% of it. Eventually their keeper got yellowed for time wasting, far too late, IMO. Players of both sides went down unnecessarily, IMO, theirs more so than ours. The number of poor tackles he let go could have had a lasting effect, fortunately, it seems we have no new injuries from the clattering the lads got at times. One example is Sibs, about 30 seconds after coming on he gets clobbered. He just got up and got on with the game. A year ago he'd have exacted revenge... grown up a bit?

Basically, depending on your hat, it was a borefest, it was interesting, it was enjoyable. I left feeling that my various hats of former player, coach, referee and fan, had had enough to make it a good day out... and we won. Next up for me is the Reading and Bolton double header in mid March.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Off the top of my head, Pompey Draw, Bristol Rovers win, Burton win, Stevenage win,

Now, my take on the game. Depending on which hat you wear there's several ways of looking at it.

1st half. From one point of view it was a borefest of a game played in midfield with little happening in the goalmouth. There were 2 real chances, both to them. One saved well by JW and the other cleared off the line by Sonny Bradley who finally seems to have settled in and is showing exactly why we got him in. I don't remember us having a shot, on or off target. There were also some "pretty" passages of play which, unfortunately, led nowhere. For the neutral or the open minded there was plenty to see. A half of many faces. The South Stand started well but after 10 minutes or so, apart from the berating of Steve Evans, they and the rest of the crowd were pretty bland.

2md half saw the South Stand wake up and their infectiousness got to much of the ground ending in a lot of bouncing after the goal. The crowd's awakening seemed to light the players' blue touch paper and we were on top. A really enjoyable half that started to look like it would fade into a 0-0 draw... cue Sibs, the impact sub. Cracking ball for Smith to NML. Reports I've read go on to say NML crossed to Sibs.. I don't see it that way. They weren't all that far apart and I maintain that NML passed to Sibs who hit it first time into the bottom right hand corner of the net. Cue unbridled joy both on and off the pitch (unbridled joy if you're not Stevenage, their players were stunned, fans too, Steve Evans just got mardy as did others in his staff, one of whom got a yellow for his efforts). Worth the win, IMO.

Steve Evans? Will he ever answer the question posed by the South Stand? Has he ever seen it? Post match he claimed they should have had a penalty for a hand ball in the lead up to Bradley's goal line block. I won't comment on that as I didn't see it, if it happened. What Evans did miss was the 2 occasions in the first half when Derby players were thrown to the ground in the Stevenage penalty area. I've not yet seen the 2nd half charge on Barks back yet but it looked like a red from my vantage point on the front row some 10 yards North of the halfway line.

The ref? I have to say I found him even handed. Both sets of players were guilty of holding opponents and the ref ignored 90% of it. Eventually their keeper got yellowed for time wasting, far too late, IMO. Players of both sides went down unnecessarily, IMO, theirs more so than ours. The number of poor tackles he let go could have had a lasting effect, fortunately, it seems we have no new injuries from the clattering the lads got at times. One example is Sibs, about 30 seconds after coming on he gets clobbered. He just got up and got on with the game. A year ago he'd have exacted revenge... grown up a bit?

Basically, depending on your hat, it was a borefest, it was interesting, it was enjoyable. I left feeling that my various hats of former player, coach, referee and fan, had had enough to make it a good day out... and we won. Next up for me is the Reading and Bolton double header in mid March.
    Three wins and a draw. Better than mine then!
    Big relief on 90 minutes…changed everyone’s perspective…especially after that horrible first 45. Glad you had a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Three wins and a draw. Better than mine then!
    Big relief on 90 minutes…changed everyone’s perspective…especially after that horrible first 45. Glad you had a good trip.
    Just seen the highlights on RamsTV. I didn't have a view of the handball Evans thought he saw. I now am of the opinion that it's good we don't have VAR in L1.

Only 3 weeks to the next trip.

Due a stonker at home 5-1 Derby

I feel more confident when we are away from home, I guess because we seem to be better at playing on the break than when we are expected to make the running.

1-1 disappointment per head, 3-1 win per heart

We do seem to struggle to break down teams at home, or perhaps teams are boosted by playing at pride park and out perform their overall ability?

Either way I can foresee another 1-1 draw.

Or just possibly visitors to PP feel the crowd's lack of confidence and frustration that inferior teams are not being overwhelmed and turn it to their own advantage? Hearing rA calling to sack the manager boosts them? ☺️☺️. Only kidding rA but the resident Benjamin the donkey may not help....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)