+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: WBA53 match thread

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Poor subs! Too many and taking off Johnston snd Wallace for Reach and Grady who has not played for a month! Get why Wallace looks fuming! As Reach touched the ball yet?
    Exactly my feelings at the time. Southampton were certainly the better team and they bossed us for most of the first half when we looked very disjointed but just before the break things started to come together and we really were knocking on the door and this improvement continued into the second half. Whilst I understand why he took BTA off I too was bemused at Johnston and Wallace being subbed-especially for Reach and Diangana -as it kind of killed the momentum we built, most of which came from the two players taken off.

Was surprised at the time that Marshall came on to replace BTA rather than Weinmann as for me he would be the natural target man as he has already shown his experience with clinically taken goals but fair enough if he'd picked up a knock. Swift went missing too much again and was pleased Fellows came on, although he obviously still has more to learn and he found the quality of Southampton harder to break down than Cardiff for example but he will only get better. As I say, what I really didn't get was taking Johnston and Wallace off.

I really didn't expect us to beat Southampton but had pretty high hopes for a draw at home, especially given that our new owner was present. We could argue that the corner awarded to Saints from which they got their first goal should have been a goal kick and it certainly looked like we should have had a penalty, but s hit happens and you just hope poor refereeing evens out over the course of the season in terms of decisions for and against. Don't think anyone can claim we deserved to win though. Still, onwards and upwards and finally getting rid of Lai and having a new owner is both a massive relief and positive!

You are correct Omegstrat that decisions should, and usually do, even out over the course of the season. I don’t blame the referee last night as his view was obstructed but how the linesman missed it I do not know as he had an unobstructed view. We’ve had two very poor decisions against us this season, away at Birmingham, and last night which, to my mind, would have altered the course of both games. On the other hand, Asante’s goal at Leeds, which earned us a draw, was a definite handball. As you say, ‘swings and roundabouts.’

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    It’s interesting to see where we are as a club v the better sides, Only Leicester, Southampton and Wolves in my eyes qualify.
    The obvious area is upfront, we have nothing, the two fullbacks as defenders are poor, hopefully in the summer a lot of these problem areas will be sorted
    Furlong 7

A decent display from the full back who was one of Albion's better performers on the night. Worked well with Wallace and got into dangerous areas.

John Dury.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Furlong 7

Worked well with Wallace and got into dangerous areas.

John Dury.
    Exactly, forward play is good, defensively very poor

It has been said before but this playing at such a slow pace is irritating. OK they want to retain possession and wait for an opening but it is counter productive in that it gives the opposition plenty of time to organise themselves to counter anything. I am not advocating running around quickly but aimlessly but at least show more urgency, intent and pressure on the opposition giving them something to think about. Then there is this insistence on playing it out from the back. Most teams do it now and most teams get caught out often. I am not suggesting that the keeper just bladder it upfield (like the old days) but at least show some variety that can include the very short ball now and then. Don’t be overly predictable. Again give the opposition something to think about as well as being more secure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    Exactly, forward play is good, defensively very poor
    We have no one to hold on to the ball up front so it always comes back and puts pressure on the defenders. I feel for Asante as he was doing his best up front knowing that Dike would eventually take over the load, but that's now gone as well. I think Asante now needs all the support he can get, before continual frustration leads to a complete loss of confidence.

With regard to Furlong and the first goal last night, he was nudged by Mara as he was about to jump at the ball. Didn't notice that at the game, but it'ds pretty clear on the recording.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)