+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Roundwood

I had my wedding reception there in 1992
    (Second time round)
    Prior to that played football, cricket for Hadfields when it was their ground.

LR knew what the training ground was like before he took the job......or should have done.Every summer we get told how much investment has gone into it and every new manager states how many improvements need to be made. All this maybe true but the bottom line is that the Roundwood training ground has facilitated about 4 promotions and 5 relegations. I really don't think that had we a state of the art facility that we would now be sat comfortably in mid table.

Quote Originally Posted by uttis View Post
    I had my wedding reception on the Outukumpu site many moons ago (1991) it was bought by RUFC years ago and there were rumours they were going to put houses on it, it’s a big area which was used for among other things football and it had a big cricket pitch and crown green bowling, it would be a great training facility for the club and has been said academy, would be vastly superior to the Roundwood complex and to the best of my knowledge has never flooded also it wouldn’t be a pain to get to which despite whichever direction you come from the Roundwood one is, this site is literally 2 minutes from the M1
    When it was first announced this showed the club moving in the right direction.Unfortunately it has dragged on over the years and still nothing done.Three managers have all said the Roundwood set up is far from adequate,probably Warney just put up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Not quite

It looks that way but the Sheffield Hallam facility shared a fenceless boundary with the Aurora Sports club making it look like one site.

Historically the Aurora site was the Edgar Allen Balfour Darwin Sports Club, a facility for their employees

The " Sheffield Hallam" site used to belong to a car retailer ( can't remember name) and both sites had ownership changes and over the years additions like AstroTurf pitches.

As employee numbers dropped in engineering the Aurora site had to open up it's membership to outsiders to stay viable. Similar things happened next door at the hallam site.

Takeovers and ownership changes at both camps further muddied the ownership waters and the Aurora new owners ( linked to Alcoa) ended their interest in the site. The Hallam part though ( not being theirs) continued to operate
    Ta, is that before Arconic and Forged Solutions.

Sign has Rotherham Hockey Club and Sheffield Hallam Uni on it.
    359 Bawtry Rd
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/hFVyFwCkKMnUbhTw9
    Last edited by fc_miller; 17-02-2024 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    When it was first announced this showed the club moving in the right direction.Unfortunately it has dragged on over the years and still nothing done.Three managers have all said the Roundwood set up is far from adequate,probably Warney just put up with it.
    Warne didn’t put up with it. He got TS to spend more on Roundwood than any other manager has.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Badfellow View Post
    LR knew what the training ground was like before he took the job......or should have done.Every summer we get told how much investment has gone into it and every new manager states how many improvements need to be made. All this maybe true but the bottom line is that the Roundwood training ground has facilitated about 4 promotions and 5 relegations. I really don't think that had we a state of the art facility that we would now be sat comfortably in mid table.
    Well said that man, if we had Manchester City’s or Liverpool’s training complex’s this squad of players would still be rock bottom of the Championship. They are simply not good enough.

Also the reason better players don’t sign isn’t the state of the training ground it is the fact they can get £10k to £20k a week elsewhere rather than the £5k to £8k a week on offer at the Millers.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerBill View Post
    Warney didn't "just put up with it," he allocated something like £600k from the sale of a player to improve the facilities as much as possible.
    We need to remember the club doesn't own Roundwood and it's always seemed bizarre to me that they would spend significant amounts of money there.
    I've said before, it's a bit like paying for an extension to be built on a house you're renting.
    Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post
    Ta, is that before Arconic and Forged Solutions.

Sign has Rotherham Hockey Club and Sheffield Hallam Uni on it.
    359 Bawtry Rd
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/hFVyFwCkKMnUbhTw9
    Yes way before Arconic and Forged Solutions

Both of those names linked to Alcoa, a name that got bad publicity following the Grenfell cladding fire

Aurora became Firth Rixson Aurora and Firth Rixson Aurora eventually became part of the Alcoa empire

That combined business was split into two logical business units with Forged Solutions being the traditional forges of the Firth Rixson companies and Arconic basically taking the rest non-forge businesses

Quote Originally Posted by Masbroughstreet View Post
    Warne didn’t put up with it. He got TS to spend more on Roundwood than any other manager has.
    Correct warne didn’t put up with it,they was doing analysis at the ground ,they was using the gym up the road,they was eating wherever they could and just training on the grass at roundwood.warne got that sorted,with warnock”s advice also,and they was now at least doing everything all on one site.!..what standard or quality of it that is and level of investment is open to debate.

I remember them training on our school pitch once, think they trained on other school pitches too, have had it worse in the past.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast