+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts County Players you would like to share a pint with (or have done)

The only one is Dennis Benskin but I doubt you'd know who he is. Unfortunately lots from across. the River. Birtles, Robertson (very entertaining evening to say the least), Gunn and Hodge.

To rub salt into the wound, back in the day two Girlfriends said they had previously had flings with Steve Hodge before me. Didn't help with the libido.

Not a pint but,

My late Aunt was an employee at Meadow Lane for many years (and why I have supported Notts for 50 years).

When she passed away, we had the get together in the Don Masson Suite. Ian Richardson who knew her attended.

I stood talking to Ian for about half an hour. He told me some great stories about his time as a professional footballer, Notts, and life in general.

Absolute class act. Not sure if he is still involved at Notts.

For me I'd like to go back and share a pint with those iconic players I never knew, Iremonger for one might be interesting.

Going by the series of Magpie Circle chats, Jon Nixon came across as the most amiable and forthcoming with his Notts tales. Before my time but I found him very engaging to listen to.
    Football generally, Howard Wilkinson. His interview with Mace was absolutely top drawer.
    Away from Notts chat, Brian Kilcline would probably me my type of person, a bit out there. Harkouk I'd be interested to know about his life before and since his time with Notts - A lot going on there I think as well as being one of my favourite players (along with Fash, Yates, Tommy Johnson and Aidy Thorpe).

All over a nice cup of tea in my case, I don't drink now.

Johny T !! I hope everything is on the up.

I'd enjoy a shandy with Dick Edwards and go back to the 60's... Think and hope he's still with us, he must be in his 80's...Chat about his time with Villa, Torquay, Notts and that mob up the road...Maybe sing a couple of country and western songs together, and talk about that long throw he had...

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    I'd enjoy a shandy with Dick Edwards and go back to the 60's... Think and hope he's still with us, he must be in his 80's....
    81, I was looking through birth and death dates fairly recently for his era and he was still going apparently.
    Of all 1st team squad members of the 1959/60 promotion season, Gerry Carver, (88) George Smith (87), John Sheridan (85), John Newton (84), Oliver Beeby (the eldest at 89) and Dick Edwards (the youngest at 81) were the only players with no date of death.

Ken Rawson was the first one to pass away back in 1986, aged 54, Harry Noon died at 58, all of the others were at least in their 60s.

Didn’t share a pint but Larry Lloyd once threw me out his pub

It’d be great to find myself sat next to Ian Scanlon in a quiet corner of a pub somewhere for an hour or two. I’d love to hear his take on all things Notts

Quote Originally Posted by ThaiPie View Post
    I once bumped into Pedro Richards, and had a lovely football chat, over a couple of bevies. I think many Notts fans might have had the same good fortune. Modern day, I'd love to have a pint with Mark Stallard, but I would would worry he might think I'm a bit dull, compared to his incisive commentary.
    Just wondered if any other posters have similar good memories, without giving away any trade secrets.
    See around / had beers with
    Matt Tootle - an absolute diamond bloke
    Kev Nolan - as above
    Connell R - possible one of the nicest guys ever met

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast