+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Neil Collins

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    So they brought in more free, relatively inexperienced players from clubs that are lower down the leagues.

I’m hoping that Pines and Earl will be great additions.
    But I feel Lopata and Shepherd have been made scapegoats - in an attempt to mask the disorganisation of the defensive duties of the whole team.
    Not just the 3 central defenders - but all of the team.
    If Pines and Earl are to be successful it’s not just their ability to defend that will be judged it’s also their ability to organise the team around them.
    I don't think Lopata and Shepherd have been made scapegoats, it's just that we didn't have the luxury of time to develop them in the first team. Incidentally, look at Shepherd's format whilst he's been at Cheltenham. He plays in the middle of 3 at the back. They won again at the weekend with Shepherd scoring. If you look at our previous match thread you'll notice that I said the previous 3 matches he'd got a clean sheet, an assist and I think they'd won 2 out of their 3 games. The experience should be doing his confidence the world of good.

Quote Originally Posted by Arblasterfromthepast View Post
    I don't think Lopata and Shepherd have been made scapegoats, it's just that we didn't have the luxury of time to develop them in the first team. Incidentally, look at Shepherd's format whilst he's been at Cheltenham. He plays in the middle of 3 at the back. They won again at the weekend with Shepherd scoring. If you look at our previous match thread you'll notice that I said the previous 3 matches he'd got a clean sheet, an assist and I think they'd won 2 out of their 3 games. The experience should be doing his confidence the world of good.
    Just checked back. I think his stats are played 4 won 3 lost 1, clean sheets 2, assists 1, goals 1.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Edit--Oxford now in top five following last night's draw so add

Barnsley 1 Oxford 3
    Oxford 0 Barnsley 1

and make it the top six W1 D2 L4
    SB you forgot Stevenage who I believe were 4th when we beat them 2-1 at home!

W2 D2 L4

Quote Originally Posted by perkytyke View Post
    SB you forgot Stevenage who I believe were 4th when we beat them 2-1 at home!

W2 D2 L4
    True Perks.

It would take a long time to research every club's position when we played them. Blackpool, for example were up there when we lost at home 0-1 to them. W2 D2 L5. So i've just looked at the present top six to match our record against YN's claim that we have usually beaten the top clubs.

As a silly example Port Vale were equal on points with us when we arseoyled them 7-0.

Just checked back. I think his stats are played 4 won 3 lost 1, clean sheets 2, assists 1, goals 1.
    IMO Shepherd and Lopata are good players that needed time playing in a well organised team.
    They got neither.
    I think Pines and Earl are another example of excellent acquisitions (again for next to NOWT) and will add quality to the team - but IMO we shouldn’t have let Shepherd and Lopata go out on loan.
    They would have been better playing in the U21 with occasional appearances off the bench in the 1st Team.

IMO Shepherd and Lopata are good players that needed time playing in a well organised team.
    They got neither.
    I think Pines and Earl are another example of excellent acquisitions (again for next to NOWT) and will add quality to the team - but IMO we shouldn’t have let Shepherd and Lopata go out on loan.
    They would have been better playing in the U21 with occasional appearances off the bench in the 1st Team.
    Each MLS club establishes a 20 player Roster of Senior Professionals prior to the season that is starting soon. Pines failed to get in any of the Rosters and was therefore able to hawk himself round as a free agent.
    Earl is "undisclosed" as usual so we do not know what we paid

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Each MLS club establishes a 20 player Roster of Senior Professionals prior to the season that is starting soon. Pines failed to get in any of the Rosters and was therefore able to hawk himself round as a free agent.
    Earl is "undisclosed" as usual so we do not know what we paid
    Is that saying they are rubbish then ???
    I mean - they are just another bunch of free (?) lower league inexperienced players.

If only we went down the Derby route eh.
    Just one of their players will be earning the same as 4 or 5 of our players combined.
    Plus of course there’s the interest to be paid for all the £millions upon £millions of debt.
    But that’s what you get from opinions made by a guy stood on the touch line in a flat cap smoking a tab - but at least his whippet is on a lead..

They got neither.
    I think Shepherd has potential, still not sure about Lopata but we'll see. Clearly the loan to Cheltenham is doing Shepherd the world of good and he's getting regular football at a higher level than would be the case if he were still in our under 21s. So not sure what's not to like in the case of Shepherd Nudge

I think Shepherd has potential, still not sure about Lopata but we'll see. Clearly the loan to Cheltenham is doing Shepherd the world of good and he's getting regular football at a higher level than would be the case if he were still in our under 21s. So not sure what's not to like in the case of Shepherd Nudge

I think both have potential.
    But glimpses of Shepherd indicate he’s got big potential.

My concern is that they have both been loaned out to generally losing teams.
    I know Cheltenham have picked up recently - but coming from lower league clubs to start with - and then to join a club that is losing more than it wins - is that a recipe to boost confidence ???
    I don’t think it is.

I think both have potential.
    But glimpses of Shepherd indicate he’s got big potential.

My concern is that they have both been loaned out to generally losing teams.
    I know Cheltenham have picked up recently - but coming from lower league clubs to start with - and then to join a club that is losing more than it wins - is that a recipe to boost confidence ???
    I don’t think it is.
    Shepherd is under less pressure at Cheltenham. As you say, Cheltenham's form has been good recently which helps him massively. He's playing against the same standard of teams as he would be if he were at Barnsley. He's clearly enjoying it at the moment and must be well thought of to be a regular in the team. Yeah, I would say his confidence will have been boosted.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast