+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neil Collins

Neil Collins

I have been browsing the BBS this morning & came across an article about Neil Collins which relates to his coaching career,his playing career & his philosophy on everything , it his his thoughts and is an excellent read , anyone who is critical of the guy might just have food for thought . I do not know how to bring the article up on here but I strongly recommend that everyone pop over to the BBS site & have a read .

An interesting read Shads.

What Collins has not faced yet is the club selling his best players when he thinks he is on the way to building a team. His thoughts on becoming the next Luton, Brighton or Brentford might have to be revised when good players are not retained and no pump priming investment is forthcoming to add further players.

Still, he seems a grounded chap who aims to get the best out of what squad he is given.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    An interesting read Shads.

What Collins has not faced yet is the club selling his best players when he thinks he is on the way to building a team. His thoughts on becoming the next Luton, Brighton or Brentford might have to be revised when good players are not retained and no pump priming investment is forthcoming to add further players.

Still, he seems a grounded chap who aims to get the best out of what squad he is given.
    I agree SB , I particularly like the fact that he was a coach before a player & when he does arrive at Oakwell he is well tuned into the fact that the club had lost key players with their replacements coming from lower levels etc although he did not use these facts as an excuse for an indifferent start to the campaign but he does touch on the ways he has had to adapt , I really think it is enlightening & the way he comes across is very genuine , I have had my doubts but having read this I feel the guy will do well in his career , I like the cut of his cloth .

Read it last night. Good read I thought.

Here’s the link: https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/neill-collins-barnsley/

Interesting and a very good read.

I think the fans who were sceptical about Collins are now starting to see what he's bringing to the table. I like the passing football that we play. In technicsl terms, we look far superior in attacking areas than we did under Duff last season. We play intricate passes in and around the opposition penalty area. Ok, it doesn't always come off but I find it very encouraging. The opposition must hate defending against us. We look technically very good at times and I believe that will stand us a far better chance in the Championship should we manage to get promoted this season.

What people sometimes overlook is that Duffs style was at times cavalier yet efficient. We worked the opposition to death with the timely high press. We were very efficient and organised. We used set plays much to our advantage too under Duff. Under Collins, the set play statistics must be poor in terms of producing goals for us and that is something we can definitely improve on. However, we can, and have opened up teams at will with our excellent passing game this season. The goals for column reflects that. This is the aspect that I like about Collins' team. We are gonna keep improving too.

The defensive defects have been dealt with the best they can by Collins in the first half of the season. The board screwed him properly with our defensive summer signings. However, that now looks to have been addressed this January which will surely make us a better all round league 1 outfit. I haven't seen Pines as yet but Earl looks a very solid player from what I've seen and Jordan Williams moving back to his natural position can only help this team more.

Another plus is the character Collins team has shown. We've come back to either win games or get a draw on a few occasions. Last season we may as well have written a game off when we went behind.

It was an interesting read was that article. Collins is obviously a big football person. He strikes me as a very level headed blowk too. The thing that concerns me is that for all his good work, the success of the club is down to the board. We have some influential players out of contract this summer. Should we not gain promotion this season, it's odds on that Collins will be given another mountain to climb in terms of success. He'll be nurturing more signins from the pond that we have fished in this last year. Some of our more critical supporters would do well to realise that. However , should we be promoted, there's a chance we could retain some of the out of contract players and also sign better quality players from a higher level than we currently do. Much rests on these last 14 games.

A good insight into our manager and has quite impressed me , not that I was against him anyway. As I write this post I'm just hoping that he's not done enough yet to get onto the Sunderland possible manager list. Fingers crossed they seem to be demanding a shot at promotion and will be looking for a bigger name.

Collins seems a nice fella.
    Honest.
    Motivated.
    Ambitious.
    Gets 100% effort from players.
    But his methods of playing is totally incompatible for Barnsley Football Club.

James identifies players that have attributes to play a certain way - we need someone to get the best out of those attributes.
    As Ismael did.

All in all this season.
    I’m obviously happy that we are winning more than we are losing.
    But the football witnessed is frustrating and at times as dull as dish watter.
    And most of the people I talk to about Barnsley have the same or similar views - although I know it’s not the general view on here.

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    I think the fans who were sceptical about Collins are now starting to see what he's bringing to the table. I like the passing football that we play. In technicsl terms, we look far superior in attacking areas than we did under Duff last season. We play intricate passes in and around the opposition penalty area. Ok, it doesn't always come off but I find it very encouraging. The opposition must hate defending against us. We look technically very good at times and I believe that will stand us a far better chance in the Championship should we manage to get promoted this season.

What people sometimes overlook is that Duffs style was at times cavalier yet efficient. We worked the opposition to death with the timely high press. We were very efficient and organised. We used set plays much to our advantage too under Duff. Under Collins, the set play statistics must be poor in terms of producing goals for us and that is something we can definitely improve on. However, we can, and have opened up teams at will with our excellent passing game this season. The goals for column reflects that. This is the aspect that I like about Collins' team. We are gonna keep improving too.

The defensive defects have been dealt with the best they can by Collins in the first half of the season. The board screwed him properly with our defensive summer signings. However, that now looks to have been addressed this January which will surely make us a better all round league 1 outfit. I haven't seen Pines as yet but Earl looks a very solid player from what I've seen and Jordan Williams moving back to his natural position can only help this team more.

Another plus is the character Collins team has shown. We've come back to either win games or get a draw on a few occasions. Last season we may as well have written a game off when we went behind.

It was an interesting read was that article. Collins is obviously a big football person. He strikes me as a very level headed blowk too. The thing that concerns me is that for all his good work, the success of the club is down to the board. We have some influential players out of contract this summer. Should we not gain promotion this season, it's odds on that Collins will be given another mountain to climb in terms of success. He'll be nurturing more signins from the pond that we have fished in this last year. Some of our more critical supporters would do well to realise that. However , should we be promoted, there's a chance we could retain some of the out of contract players and also sign better quality players from a higher level than we currently do. Much rests on these last 14 games.
    You make a lot of good points there.

I particularly love our resilience this season. Although I wish we didn’t have to come from behind quite as much as we have done but it’s great to see us fight until the very end. Not many better feelings than the Leyton Orient last minute winner.

Some of the home games this season have been a bit frustrating when opposition teams sit deep and we are passing between our centre backs but I’ve been a Collins fan for a while now and can look beyond it. The results and goals scored statistics speak for themselves.

You’re right about the pond of players we’ll be looking in during the summer should we not gain promotion. Obviously every season is important but it feels like there’s that bit extra riding on it this season given the number of players we have out of contract in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Young_Nudger View Post
    Collins seems a nice fella.
    Honest.
    Motivated.
    Ambitious.
    Gets 100% effort from players.
    But his methods of playing is totally incompatible for Barnsley Football Club.

James identifies players that have attributes to play a certain way - we need someone to get the best out of those attributes.
    As Ismael did.

All in all this season.
    I’m obviously happy that we are winning more than we are losing.
    But the football witnessed is frustrating and at times as dull as dish watter.
    And most of the people I talk to about Barnsley have the same or similar views - although I know it’s not the general view on here.
    Have you actually read the article to which the post was put on to discuss ?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast