+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The style of play

The style of play

I really don’t have a problem with passing it out from the back, keeping possession trying to make gaps to go forward IF we are lethal when we do. Against Plymouth nobody is disappointed when we come away with 3 points and a 3-0 scoreline. The disappointment comes when we see a lot of passing but no real goal attempts.

Too much faffing around at times for me giving the opposition time to get back into shape, too many unnecessary backwards and sideways passes as well, we looked really good second half last night when we released the ball quickly, it caught out albeit a poor Plymouth side a few times, the first half was a typical borefest of unnecessary passing leading to virtually nothing, runs being made by the forwards ignored
    The second half was a real pleasure to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Bombers right foot View Post
    Too much faffing around at times for me giving the opposition time to get back into shape, too many unnecessary backwards and sideways passes as well, we looked really good second half last night when we released the ball quickly, it caught out albeit a poor Plymouth side a few times, the first half was a typical borefest of unnecessary passing leading to virtually nothing, runs being made by the forwards ignored
    The second half was a real pleasure to watch
    It should be horses for courses.

Against lesser and middling sides pass out from the back if we believe we have the better quail player.

Against a Southampton we should mix it up and go longer as a quality pressing side seems to catch us out.

It’s for a purpose. Not just faffing about. Not great to watch if there’s no end result though. I can understand it can be a bit irritating to watch but it’s the way Corberans teams play to good effect.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    It should be horses for courses.

Against lesser and middling sides pass out from the back if we believe we have the better quail player.

Against a Southampton we should mix it up and go longer as a quality pressing side seems to catch us out.
    As you say horses for courses. We were like rabbits in the headlights against saints, they move the ball so quickly and doubled up out wide, had we got in their faces and pressed them then we would have likely won the game. Against lesser footballing teams then play from the back and out outplay them. It is one slight stain on Corberan that he doesn’t seem to have a plan B as such.

It is one slight stain on Corberan that he doesn’t seem to have a plan B as such.[/QUOTE]

Probably why our away form has been so poor

Playing out from the back well requires consistency, ability and fitness. Sometimes we do it very well, other times quite poorly. In the second half, against an admittedly poor Plymouth, we stared to do it well- mostly because we began to move the ball about a lot faster and there were some very nice passes forward to enable the likes of Johnston to break and run at them. Against better opposition -as in the Southampton game-we were far too slow to build or break and this helped them pen us back .

As Mick, Leics and others have said, it is horses for courses and we need to mix it up a bit more using other tactics including the long ball. Playing out from the back, whilst attractive football if well executed well, does not always work for us but it is only one tool in the toolbox. With the acquisition of Johnston, Weimann and the improving Fellows we no longer need to play with just a too often isolated BTA leading the line and I believe we now have a lot more attacking options to chose from.

Some good points particularly about our slow play, we are a totally different team when given space to play like the second half last night, I agree we should try and mix it up from goalkicks, but the problem with that is Palmers kicking is actually quite poor, I also think CC isn't stupid and knows were our problems are if you look at the players he's been able to bring in he signed a striker that holds the ball up and tried to sign wide players that can actually carry the ball forward, we now have Johnston and Fellows that do it really well so hopefully that will help improve our away form, one final point even Man City are struggling to break teams down that sit back and give them no space.

Quote Originally Posted by saltnshake View Post
    Some good points particularly about our slow play, we are a totally different team when given space to play like the second half last night, I agree we should try and mix it up from goalkicks, but the problem with that is Palmers kicking is actually quite poor, I also think CC isn't stupid and knows were our problems are if you look at the players he's been able to bring in he signed a striker that holds the ball up and tried to sign wide players that can actually carry the ball forward, we now have Johnston and Fellows that do it really well so hopefully that will help improve our away form, one final point even Man City are struggling to break teams down that sit back and give them no space.
    Agree. Whilst Palmer is a decent traditional goalkeeper, his kicking is indeed poor, but the lesser of two evils alongside his ball skills when involved in short passing at the back !
    I also feel the same about Bartley - far better when not becoming involved in a short passing episode at the back.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)