+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: House Speakers U.K. and US

House Speakers U.K. and US

What a complete shambles and embarrassment. Pressure from Starmer but it’s shown Labour for what they are! Can’t stand this Government but does anyone really think Labour will be better? I don’t wouldn’t trust Starmer any more than Boris!

Meanwhile in the US - incredible how Johnson smiling next to Trump can block the vote for more military aid for Ukraine!

Johnson voted repeatedly against aid for Ukraine before he became House speaker last year.
    "At the end of the day, I do think there's still a majority in the House that will pass this, it just has to come to the floor," Representative Michael McCaul, the Republican chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee and a backer of Ukraine aid, recently told reporters.
    Johnson has suggested he wants to break the security aid legislation into separate bills for Ukraine and Israel, although two previous House bills providing aid only to Israel have failed.
    Changes would further delay aid for Ukraine as any new measure passed by the House must also be approved by the Senate before it can be sent to the White House for Biden's signature.

Perhaps the US will wake up when Putin starts marching his thugs on Kiev. Will Trump care though? I doubt it!

I firmly believe that Sir Lindsay Hoyle is an honourable and honest person. However, I think that he has made a big mistake in his ruling and the fact that he was in conversation with Kier Starmer prior to his decision has put him in an untenable position. Starmer states that he did not ‘bully’ him but ‘urged’ him to make that decision and the fact that it has got Starmer ‘out of a hole’ does not sit well with him being a former Labour MP.
    Last edited by Leicesterbaggie; 23-02-2024 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    What a complete shambles and embarrassment. Pressure from Starmer but it’s shown Labour for what they are! Can’t stand this Government but does anyone really think Labour will be better?
    Yes.

Yes, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    I honestly believe that Sir Lindsay Hoyle is an honourable and honest person. However, I think that he has made a big mistake in his ruling and the fact that he was in conversation with Kier Starmer prior to his decision has put him in an untenable position. Starmer states that he did not ‘bully’ him but ‘urged’ him to make that decision and the fact that it has got Starmer ‘out of a hole’ does not sit well with him being a former Labour MP.
    I think I'd agree with your assessment of Hoyle. I don't think he was doing anything malicious or underhand, I just think it was an honest mistake.

I do find it rich the Tories talking about 'respecting parliament' when they've done their utmost to trash it in the last 10 years.

Hoyle is the least of our worries and hes not a bad egg like others.
    Observing parliament right now is like watching a load of spiders in a jar eating each other.
    But we really need to be more concerned about the US.
    Has trump done a deal with the worlds dictators to help him get the presidency? If elected I’m convinced, he will cease all power and become another dictator.
    He is certainly praising dictators like Hungary, Russia, N Korea and Russian tolls and bot farm are manic spreading lies and propaganda

Rant over

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    Hoyle is the least of our worries and hes not a bad egg like others.
    Observing parliament right now is like watching a load of spiders in a jar eating each other.
    But we really need to be more concerned about the US.
    Has trump done a deal with the worlds dictators to help him get the presidency? If elected I’m convinced, he will cease all power and become another dictator.
    He is certainly praising dictators like Hungary, Russia, N Korea and Russian tolls and bot farm are manic spreading lies and propaganda

Rant over

You are right!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I think I'd agree with your assessment of Hoyle. I don't think he was doing anything malicious or underhand, I just think it was an honest mistake.

I do find it rich the Tories talking about 'respecting parliament' when they've done their utmost to trash it in the last 10 years.
    Totally agree!👍

I really dislike the SNP but in terms of “playing politics”, they played a blinder here.

They knew that the way the motion was constructed would cause Starmer a lot of trouble.

I’ve always thought that Hoyle was a decent man, he’s disappointed me with his actions.

He’s put the keeping of his own lofty position above the duties he’s prescribed to carry out, the veiled threat from Starmer and his cohorts persuaded him to break with written down protocol.

It’s not like he wasn’t warned, important people within his own office told him not to do it and he still did, this I’m afraid blows his integrity out of the water.

His excuse the following day is contrived in my opinion.

He only started spouting about being worried about safety if MP’s the following day……after he’d had half a day and an overnight gap in which to concoct a plausible narrative.

I’m not being holier than thou here, I once concocted my own plausible story when I’d dropped a b o l l o c k at work in my mid 20’s.

My then boss told me something in confidence that I gobbed off about to a fellow rep who was also a mate I played football with…….i lied through my teeth to save my job, thankfully the lie wasn’t a lie that hurt any other individual but it was still a lie.

For Starmer to then say he didn’t put pressure on Hoyle but merely “urged him” is both laughable and an insult to our collective intelligence.

They need to put in place a system whereby it’s forbidden to speak about parliamentary business with the speaker unless it’s a recorded meeting.

Any unofficial approach to a speaker by an MP or lacky should be immediately reported by the speaker to an official body.

The way Starmer and his cronies acted towards Hoyle is known as coercion in any other type of scenario, this is not acceptable whoever the party or person might be.

The speaker is like a football referee, he’s supposed to be untouchable and therefore beyond reproach.

Both Hoyle and Starmer have proved themselves to be weak men who put themselves before anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I really dislike the SNP but in terms of “playing politics”, they played a blinder here.

They knew that the way the motion was constructed would cause Starmer a lot of trouble.

I’ve always thought that Hoyle was a decent man, he’s disappointed me with his actions.

He’s put the keeping of his own lofty position above the duties he’s prescribed to carry out, the veiled threat from Starmer and his cohorts persuaded him to break with written down protocol.

It’s not like he wasn’t warned, important people within his own office told him not to do it and he still did, this I’m afraid blows his integrity out of the water.

His excuse the following day is contrived in my opinion.

He only started spouting about being worried about safety if MP’s the following day……after he’d had half a day and an overnight gap in which to concoct a plausible narrative.

I’m not being holier than thou here, I once concocted my own plausible story when I’d dropped a b o l l o c k at work in my mid 20’s.

My then boss told me something in confidence that I gobbed off about to a fellow rep who was also a mate I played football with…….i lied through my teeth to save my job, thankfully the lie wasn’t a lie that hurt any other individual but it was still a lie.

For Starmer to then say he didn’t put pressure on Hoyle but merely “urged him” is both laughable and an insult to our collective intelligence.

They need to put in place a system whereby it’s forbidden to speak about parliamentary business with the speaker unless it’s a recorded meeting.

Any unofficial approach to a speaker by an MP or lacky should be immediately reported by the speaker to an official body.

The way Starmer and his cronies acted towards Hoyle is known as coercion in any other type of scenario, this is not acceptable whoever the party or person might be.

The speaker is like a football referee, he’s supposed to be untouchable and therefore beyond reproach.

Both Hoyle and Starmer have proved themselves to be weak men who put themselves before anything else.

That’s exactly my take on it too!

Meanwhile in the USA that turd Johnson is blocking further military aid for Ukraine and him and Trump are laughing about this. Putin must be having a right laugh whilst his thugs now match on! I do though agree every NATO member should be made to contribute their full share and others like Hungary who refuse to provide aid should be thrown out of NATO!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    That’s exactly my take on it too!

Meanwhile in the USA that turd Johnson is blocking further military aid for Ukraine and him and Trump are laughing about this. Putin must be having a right laugh whilst his thugs now match on! I do though agree every NATO member should be made to contribute their full share and others like Hungary who refuse to provide aid should be thrown out of NATO!
    There’s a feeling being mooted that when Trump gets in next time he’ll try to turn the USA into a dictatorship and do away with elections.

I don’t see that happening myself but with the Right Wing and the conspiracy theorists being so strident and a complete bunch of nut jobs you can’t put this sort of stuff beyond them.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)