+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Crewe Alexandra FC 24.02.24 [EFL L2]

Our squad is set up to play with a back 3 the players signed show this.

My understanding is Wealdstone also played a back 3 which would help with the game plan.

Now we got a win at Newport with a back 4 but imo we dont have a LB at all really or one who can play the role properly in the modern game.

Yesterday SM could have just moved Cameron to LCB and moved Macari to wing back but no he Warner a scapegoat poor poor management.

Would he have took Cameron Bostock McGoldrick off after 20 mins my guess is no chance so already his authority is questionable.

As stated last night I hope he turns this around starting with Tuesday.

He saw we were 2 down and a back four wasn't working so he replaced a defender with a forward, he needed to change something I can't see a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    He saw we were 2 down and a back four wasn't working so he replaced a defender with a forward, he needed to change something I can't see a problem with that.
    No he didn’t, he changed it after 12 mins at 1-0 which made Macari look like a fish out of water as RWB. He then subbed Warner at 2-0 to get Macari back in defence and Nemane RWB.
    He then reverted back to the original formation in the second half which put Nemane at RB.
    I have no issues with managers making changes in a game but yesterday’s (and Wrexham) just felt very knee jerk and left us putting square pegs in round holes.
    FWIW I dont think any formation would have changed the outcome yesterday.
    Fundamentally you’ve still got to win your battles, and we lost them throughout the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    Tuesday is big for Maynard as a loss is not an option for him.

My worry is there is no pattern of play or clear game plan under him.

If we fimish 17-18th we should sack him it might be harsh but we cant be going into next season with a negative frame of mind.

I hope he turns it around I really do but im worried about him being honest.

Like I've said in other posts in the past, anyone judging Sam Allardyce on his first four months in charge of Notts County would have had no idea how good he was ultimately turn out to be, not just for Notts but throughout his managerial career.

The game on Tuesday night is 'big' in the sense that a win would really give everybody a lift, but these owners won't be anywhere near making decisions on Maynard's future yet. The way they see things, this will still be the initial phase of the assessment process. They think like mature adults, weighing the evidence and data over an extended period time.

We've had too many owners in recent years whose thought processes were akin to football fans, most of whom act like emotional and petulant children, and it caused the confusion and chaos that lost our league status. I thought a lot of our fans would have learnt from those experiences, but the emotional instincts of the football fan often override common sese in the short-term. That's okay, as long as the people at the top making the decisions aren't influenced by such short-termism.
    Last edited by jackal2; 25-02-2024 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Like I've said in other posts in the past, anyone judging Sam Allardyce on his first four months in charge of Notts County would have had no idea how good he was ultimately turn out to be, not just for Notts but throughout his managerial career.

Allardyce is the exception that proves the general rule. He went on to manage England. Comparisons with him are pointless.
    Plus, he'd already taken Blackpool into the 3rd tier play offs with a 43% win rate on the back of a solid top two divisions playing career including club captain, he had pedigree. He was not an unknown quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Allardyce is the exception that proves the general rule. He went on to manage England. Comparisons with him are pointless.
    Plus, he'd already taken Blackpool into the 3rd tier play offs with a 43% win rate on the back of a solid top two divisions playing career including club captain, he had pedigree. He was not an unknown quantity.
    From memory Allardyce suffered an awful lot of bad luck in his early games at Notts, there were last minute goals against and I remember us scoring 3 headed goals against Stockport and losing 2-1 ihn the last minute. It was also obvious he would sort things out for the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by OP67 View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one that has never rated Cameron. He's got even worse in L2 and just falls over when robbed of the ball which is easy to do in the hope of a free kick!! As for his attempts at being a Captain, jeeeeeeeez. "I'm only worried about my own performance" is what he once said, pretty much says it all really.

I agree if we don't get back to the quick attacking exciting football we'll see the 11k drop to 8k quite quickly and that'll affect the budget for next season.
    Also our drop in form will affect the price we will get for Macca and Jodi.

Jodi is our only threat at the moment. If he is doubled up on or having a bit of an off day then we have nothing.
    If only we had someone of Ruben’s skills to play those beautiful, incisive through balls. Dan Crowley is nowhere near that player, particularly this last couple of months.

As bad a performance as it was, no one was worse than the referee.

The Crewe penalty was a clear dive after good work for Ashby-Hammond to cover his goal and a very heavy left footed touch from the Crewe striker leaving him with no option but to go down and the ref bought it. A good yard between them when he threw himself down.

That was made all the more shocking by the penalty that wasn’t given for the clear wrestling and pulling on Langstaff in the first half, and the two footed high challenge on McGoldrick that resulted in a farcical *throw in*.

Jatta’s shirt was being pulled off his back, and the ref couldn’t control Crewe’s persistent time wasting all second half.

We have been on the end of some very poor decisions over the last 6 weeks or so. We might be having very different conversations about Maynard if the goals at Mansfield and Wrexham were given and the ref did his job properly yesterday. Obviously we haven’t done enough to win games and we aren’t nasty enough ourselves, but it was one of the poorer refereeing performances I have ever seen on Saturday.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223