+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Owners will not take risks with our fanbase

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    I still think back to that first trining video under Maynard where him and the other coach were all shouting over each other. I don’t think anyone’s got a hold of this team at the minute, and the players are playing like it.
    Thst was a bad sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowpie View Post
    What do people mean when they say it's time to consolidate?
    it bugs me to death reading when things like this are written. You can't consolidate, that's like saying we're not expected to win many games so we won't try and win every game from now. It's rubbish
    We started well in the season and just have not adapted to changes where as other teams have
    We've been a one trick pony and when that fails we have nothing
    Persisting with the same patterns of play week in week out has been so easy for other teams to work out. We are blinded by this possession factor, whether that's from the owners or the managerial staff, but possession doesn't win matches. Especially our slow unimaginative obvious possession

We will finish up just above relegation and because of this consolidation, we will be starting from scratch again next season
    Spot on! Absolutely agree. How do you consolidate with your best players gone and your fan based dwindling?

If you're not progressing you're going backwards in football.

We've got a team who for all their technical skill don't put in the hard yards. You've now got former Premier League academy players and players who have played leagues above this being set up by a man who is at the highest level he's ever been at.

You'll hear it all the time on podcasts from former players - impressions are made almost instantaneously and it's nigh on impossible to claw it back if you don't make a good one.

He sold Warner down the river yesterday and we've been out-fought and out-thought on numerous occasions but yesterday was appalling.

That's twice we've rolled over to play-off contenders at home since SM took charge and if I'm honest his interviews are dull, he's a cliché merchant and I cannot see him being a success based on anything he's brought to the table so far.

He's made us more solid to a degree but at the complete expense of attacking fluidity and he's actually got options in positions which LW didn't have the luxury of during his blip.

3/10 so far - if it continues in this manner I can't see attendances being anywhere near that next season that they've been this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowpie View Post
    What do people mean when they say it's time to consolidate?
    it bugs me to death reading when things like this are written. You can't consolidate, that's like saying we're not expected to win many games so we won't try and win every game from now. It's rubbish
    We started well in the season and just have not adapted to changes where as other teams have
    We've been a one trick pony and when that fails we have nothing
    Persisting with the same patterns of play week in week out has been so easy for other teams to work out. We are blinded by this possession factor, whether that's from the owners or the managerial staff, but possession doesn't win matches. Especially our slow unimaginative obvious possession

We will finish up just above relegation and because of this consolidation, we will be starting from scratch again next season
    Consolidate means don't run around in circles and accept that some parts need rebuilding. Or we can go back to bust or boom which inevitably ended up in bust.

What do you now want our owners to do? You think they don't see the issues? They have a "low cost" model looking for underrated value and up until this season they've succeeded. Even mid-table in League 2 is (or I thought it was supposed to be) better than being non-league.

If we finish 13th then finishing 8th next season will be progress. No way are we anywhere near ready for League 1.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    If you're not progressing you're going backwards in football.

We've got a team who for all their technical skill don't put in the hard yards. You've now got former Premier League academy players and players who have played leagues above this being set up by a man who is at the highest level he's ever been at.

You'll hear it all the time on podcasts from former players - impressions are made almost instantaneously and it's nigh on impossible to claw it back if you don't make a good one.

He sold Warner down the river yesterday and we've been out-fought and out-thought on numerous occasions but yesterday was appalling.

That's twice we've rolled over to play-off contenders at home since SM took charge and if I'm honest his interviews are dull, he's a cliché merchant and I cannot see him being a success based on anything he's brought to the table so far.

He's made us more solid to a degree but at the complete expense of attacking fluidity and he's actually got options in positions which LW didn't have the luxury of during his blip.

3/10 so far - if it continues in this manner I can't see attendances being anywhere near that next season that they've been this year.
    That is a brilliant assessment of the current state of the management/Team.. Personally i dont think Bostock, and probably one or two others have no respect for this guy, and it reflects in the performances..

One of most obvious indicators for where you should be in the division is the difference between home average and away average.

Notts home average is currently 11,283
    Away average is currently 6,579

That's almost double the difference. We should be up there challenging, no excuses. The fans are doing more than their bit, the shortcomings are elsewhere.

A bottom half finish would be a fail, not progress, especially given where we were with LW earlier this season.

Current home averages

1 Bradford City 17,526
    2 Notts County 11,284
    3 Wrexham 10,814
    4 Stockport County 9,230
    5 Swindon Town 8,810
    6 AFC Wimbledon 7,877
    7 Mansfield Town 7,371
    8 Doncaster Rovers 6,775
    9 Tranmere Rovers 6,710
    10 Milton Keynes Dons 6,469
    11 Gillingham 6,348
    12 Grimsby Town 6,284
    13 Walsall 5,513
    14 Crewe Alexandra 4,896
    15 Newport County 4,386
    16 Morecambe 3,962
    17 Colchester United 3,789
    18 Barrow 3,750
    19 Crawley Town 3,373
    20 Sutton United 3,156
    21 Salford City 2,947
    22 Harrogate Town 2,677
    23 Accrington Stanley 2,566
    24 Forest Green Rovers 2,210

Quote Originally Posted by OldBanksy View Post
    Thst was a bad sign.
    We should’ve heard from the Saunders brothers by now through the media team. They have contracts so shouldn’t leave the comms to poor old Maynard all the time. This for me, hasn’t been a great sign

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    What do you now want our owners to do? You think they don't see the issues?
    Obviously not, most of us have seen the glaring deficiencies in the goal keeper and defensive frailties but they’ve either not been seen or acknowledged / addressed over the past year or so. I would at the cost of McGoldrick coming to us brought in a decent centre half for this league. Someone posted a few months back that the recruitment team side had been disbanded because of redundancies within the brother’s main business. The recruitment has been appalling defensively wise while the brothers have been in charge, a complete re-think is needed, and I’ll say this again I feel for SM as he’s been left with this mess, and the deficiencies are now showing week in week out because of the lack of proper recruitment for this league, combined with him trying to find his feet coming into a full time roll / club he isn’t being helped by players who are experienced enough to know and do better.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    One of most obvious indicators for where you should be in the division is the difference between home average and away average.

Notts home average is currently 11,283
    Away average is currently 6,579

That's almost double the difference. We should be up there challenging, no excuses. The fans are doing more than their bit, the shortcomings are elsewhere.

A bottom half finish would be a fail, not progress, especially given where we were with LW earlier this season.

Current home averages

1 Bradford City 17,526
    2 Notts County 11,284
    3 Wrexham 10,814
    4 Stockport County 9,230
    5 Swindon Town 8,810
    6 AFC Wimbledon 7,877
    7 Mansfield Town 7,371
    8 Doncaster Rovers 6,775
    9 Tranmere Rovers 6,710
    10 Milton Keynes Dons 6,469
    11 Gillingham 6,348
    12 Grimsby Town 6,284
    13 Walsall 5,513
    14 Crewe Alexandra 4,896
    15 Newport County 4,386
    16 Morecambe 3,962
    17 Colchester United 3,789
    18 Barrow 3,750
    19 Crawley Town 3,373
    20 Sutton United 3,156
    21 Salford City 2,947
    22 Harrogate Town 2,677
    23 Accrington Stanley 2,566
    24 Forest Green Rovers 2,210
    That’s only one part of the picture though our budget is 10-12th we know this as it’s been said several times and the club pretty much confirmed it.

Having a big fan base isn’t the be all end all as Man Utd would win the league every season.

MK Dons/Mansfield who are way down on our crowds 100% have a much bigger budget than us for a start.

LW had us punching above our weight it’s now all falling apart as the replacement just isn’t on his level that IS the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I think the owners will have their own metrics, fan base being one of them. But they won't (hopefully) be driven by the fan base alone and they know they are on a learning curve.

In a way I think we are suffering from last year's successes. Maybe a bit of a sense of "we've made it" compounded by a somewhat easy fixture list at the start of the season. Added to this was last season's momentum but as often is seen with promoted sides they start of very promisingly then they get sussed out. And once one team has shown how to deal with us everyone else follows suit.

Recruitment hasn't been the best and we have too many now. Obviously losing Matty is a big blow and the LW leaving, even though the overall picture was one of going backwards, or at least, of not keeping up.

It occurs to me that neither Bostock nor Crowley have really reached the heights they did before Crowley's salute to his faith. Bostock I suspect needs special management otherwise he would be at a much higher level.

But the owners will react calmly. Realistically this season is now consolidation. They will have learnt much for next season but I doubt that they will replicate the signings of Macca and Jodi who likely will be gone especially with LW there. The only real disaster would be to face another relegation in the next few years. A mid-table finish, in their view, will be better than we've achieved for over 5 seasons.
    Great post. I am getting a little concerned about us being dragged into a relegation fight.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast