+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General Election

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    The problem with today’s society is that all the ‘brains’ go into the financial sector because that’s where the ‘big bucks’ are.That leaves us with likes of Angela Rayner as an MP; God help us! We have the talent and the brains in this country but unfortunately very few of these individuals enter into politics.
    Totally agree.. makes you wonder if we actually need politicians to lead the country in the first place. If we say, running a country is like running a business - would you get a politician in? No, absolutely no. You’d get the best business director in the country. In my view that’s what we need. I’m sure we have plenty of them, if not we’ll need to start looking for an overseas business director perhaps from the states.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    To be completely honest with you Regis I’m at a complete loss in this regard.

I do think that Sunak is a competent leader and he’s also the sort who gets on with the job rather than constantly pop up with sound bites and lack of substance like Boris.

He has the same fundamental problem as Starmer, he’s the leader of at least two parties within his own party, it’s an almost impossible task.

Sunak trying to appease the rabid Right and Starmer trying to appease the zealot nutters to the far Left.

Regardless of whether you liked Thatcher I do believe we need a PM of either persuasion who has a massive pair of b o l l o x and who doesn’t bend with the wind like Starmer does and to a less extent Sunak does.

Sunak is trying to manage a group of swivel eyed loons and inept nomarks, the quality of MP and minister is as low as I can remember.

I listen to Starmer and Rachel Reeves and hear them talk for hours about absolutely nothing, they stand for nothing and have no vision….,other than to bin off their £28b green plan.

The Dim Lebs are the ones that get me shaking my head.

What a sad sack Ed Davey is.

They have a completely open goal in terms of the Eu and Brexit, if I were the leader I would be standing on a platform of rejoining the Eu for starters.

They really should be the go to party for the majority of under 40’s, if they stood on the main theme above and also on a big green agenda they would pick up so many votes from the Green Party as well.

As far as Labour are concerned, I could vote for Andy Burnham and a slightly Right of Centre agenda but I can’t stomach Starmer.

I think he’ll be in great danger from the loonies in his party once he wins power.

My local Tory MP will get in again regardless of how p I s s poor his party is and this my vote is irrelevant which is something of a blessing.

I may vote Lib Dem purely as a protest to help see the Tory Party % of the vote decline and hopefully wake them up.

I do wish their ultra Right lot would join Reform and have done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I'm voting Reform , I've only ever voted Labour in my entire life .

Before someone points it out , yes I do know what I'm voting for so bear with me .

In simple terms it's high time a big feck off hand grenade was lobbed in to Westminster to wake the feckin lot of em up and start imposing law and order on our streets , protecting our borders and stop cow tailing to extremists .

It's the only way by voting Reform in my opinion we are going to see this country back to what we once took for granted .

I don't want to see Reform elected to government just scare the shyte out of the two major parties works for me .

Don’t blame you as Reform could poll the third highest party. If Farage rather than Tice was the leader they would gain even more votes. Many were shocked when Farage was on I’m a Celebrity and how well he was liked both on the programme and through all the social media channels. Whether you like/dislike the guy he’s got far more charisma and likability factor than Sunak or Starmer will ever have!

Reform for the same reasons as Animal.

Politics really annoys the shoite outta me, the cacophony of noise in parliament makes us look like a bunch of 5-year olds at times - I can only guess what other countries think of parliamentary behaviour. This along with the subsidised fine dining, exorbitant expenses, cronyism and loads of money for causes that make self-serving ministers look good creates a chasm between them & the working man. Neither side ever man enough to recognise a good idea from the other, instead hell bent on criticising it because of its origins really is a terrible culture.

I cannot abide Starmer, he lacks conviction and presence, I do think though that they would have to work bl00dy hard to stay in power given the number of terms the tories have had post-war. So that might turn out better than the broken Britain we have now, I'm less worried about the woke because I don't think that could go much further than now.

Clowns to the left of me......

Quote Originally Posted by westcountryvillain View Post
    Reform for the same reasons as Animal.

Politics really annoys the shoite outta me, the cacophony of noise in parliament makes us look like a bunch of 5-year olds at times - I can only guess what other countries think of parliamentary behaviour. This along with the subsidised fine dining, exorbitant expenses, cronyism and loads of money for causes that make self-serving ministers look good creates a chasm between them & the working man. Neither side ever man enough to recognise a good idea from the other, instead hell bent on criticising it because of its origins really is a terrible culture.

I cannot abide Starmer, he lacks conviction and presence, I do think though that they would have to work bl00dy hard to stay in power given the number of terms the tories have had post-war. So that might turn out better than the broken Britain we have now, I'm less worried about the woke because I don't think that could go much further than now.

Clowns to the left of me......
    ……..but the jokers ain’t funny!

I'll vote Lib Dem, because in my constituency its out of them or the Tories. If I lived in an area where it was out of Labour or Tory I'd vote Labour. Which is one of the problems with the current voting system we have.

The Tories have been an absolute car crash for 14 years. Our intelligent electorate (mostly the over 50s) voted for Brexit and Tories - and now the NHS and public services are on their knees. And on here people are complaining about 'woke' and 'stop the boats', you really are naïve to be suckered by that divisive Tory PR spin machine. I would say there are people in this country, and probably on this board, who would take longer NHS waiting lists in exchange for one less immigrant coming into the country. There are two people on here voting for Reform even though they don't want them to win the election. I shouldn't really be surprised but I still am.

I really have no idea anymore why some, predominantly the older generation, want the younger generation to suffer so much. But I guess that's where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    The problem with today’s society is that all the ‘brains’ go into the financial sector because that’s where the ‘big bucks’ are.That leaves us with likes of Angela Rayner as an MP; God help us! We have the talent and the brains in this country but unfortunately very few of these individuals enter into politics.
    I know someone who went to a high end private school, not Eton but not far off. He told me it was fairly common knowledge that the high achievers would most likely go into business, finance or high end paid jobs. And the low to middle achievers, especially those with the right contacts, would go into politics. We're not getting the smartest people in parliament, even within their own school. Basically, if you have contacts high up within a particular party, you've got a great chance of forging a career into politics. If you have friends in the media like Boris Johnson, you've got a great chance of being PM.

The media and your network should not be the reason you are PM, or even in parliament.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I'll vote Lib Dem, because in my constituency its out of them or the Tories. If I lived in an area where it was out of Labour or Tory I'd vote Labour. Which is one of the problems with the current voting system we have.

The Tories have been an absolute car crash for 14 years. Our intelligent electorate (mostly the over 50s) voted for Brexit and Tories - and now the NHS and public services are on their knees. And on here people are complaining about 'woke' and 'stop the boats', you really are naïve to be suckered by that divisive Tory PR spin machine. I would say there are people in this country, and probably on this board, who would take longer NHS waiting lists in exchange for one less immigrant coming into the country. There are two people on here voting for Reform even though they don't want them to win the election. I shouldn't really be surprised but I still am.

I really have no idea anymore why some, predominantly the older generation, want the younger generation to suffer so much. But I guess that's where we are.
    What a strange last comment. Do you actually believe the older generation want the younger generation to suffer! Undoubtedly both I and the overwhelmingly majority of my generation want the youth of today to thrive and believe they have more opportunities to do so than ever I had.

Suffer: Most of the youth of today don't know the true meaning of the word
    Last edited by 9goals2hattricks3pen; 28-02-2024 at 10:47 AM.

reading this particular post.im scratching my head..

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    What a strange last comment. Do you actually believe the older generation want the younger generation to suffer! Undoubtedly both I and the overwhelmingly majority of my generation want the youth of today to thrive and believe they have more opportunities to do so than ever I had.

Suffer: Most of the youth of today don't know the true meaning of the word
    I genuinely believe that yes. Your last sentence reinforces my point.

The over 50s generation have had it quite easy in my view, particularly when it comes to affordable housing. They don't know the meaning of the word 'suffer' when it comes to that.

They voted for Brexit, which according to the OBR has made our economy 4% worse off than had we stayed in. And voted to give away our citizenship for 27 other countries.

Yes, old people are making our next generation suffer.

I genuinely believe that yes. Your last sentence reinforces my point.

The over 50s generation have had it quite easy in my view, particularly when it comes to affordable housing. They don't know the meaning of the word 'suffer' when it comes to that.

They voted for Brexit, which according to the OBR has made our economy 4% worse off than had we stayed in. And voted to give away our citizenship for 27 other countries.

Yes, old people are making our next generation suffer.
    This tired old trope has been trotted out since the year dot.

The younger generation always think that the older generation had an easier time than them and the older generation tend to moan about “todays youngsters” blah, blah, blah!

Back in the 70’s my own grandad ( born 1910 ) constantly referred to me as a “long haired layabout” and moaned about the “pouffs” on Top Of The Pops like Marc Bolan and David Bowie.

The older generation has a habit of holding the younger generation to a far higher standard than they themselves reached.

At the moment you’re of an age where you’re in the middle ground, you’re yet to reach “old” status.

I think you’ll find that in 20 to 30 years from now, you’ll be amongst friends and a portion of conversation will involve many of your peers moaning about the t e e n a g e r s and 20 somethings of that era.

Todays 40’s and below constantly bang on about “how easy it was” for my generation, well I was there 123 and I’ll confirm yet again, it wasn’t.

My mum and dad would’ve been classed as “aspirational” I guess but life was incredibly basic.

I didn’t go away for a proper holiday at the seaside for a week until I was in senior school at 11 years of age in 72 and that was only to Butlins.

My brother and I were constantly informed that money was tight and not to ask for stuff outside birthdays and Xmas, when I was 14 I finally got a Scalectrix set for Xmas ……it was second hand from a jumble sale. I was so pleased and grateful, the fact it wasn’t new didn’t matter.

As kids in the 70’s we dealt with power cuts, no electricity from 4.00pm in an afternoon in winter, cooking by candle and reading books by torch all evening because the TV wouldn’t work.

The difference for the vast majority of younger people today compared to 40 to 50 years ago is almost impossible to explain to someone who wasn’t around at that time.

And for those who say how easy it was to buy a house, I didn’t own one until I was closing in on 28 and that was only because my wife to be was a divorcee which sorted out our deposit.

If I picked you up and plonked you back in 1974 you’d be gobsmacked at the difference and how mundane and challenging life was.

You’ve never had to queue for bread for 3 or more hours or been rushed out of your classroom due to the IRA phoning up and saying they’d planted a bomb there, I lost count if the times we were stood on the playground, often in PE kit in mid winter whilst police searched our school.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t swop my life for the life of someone today but that’s only because I can appreciate what I experienced.

The opportunity afforded to younger people today is enormous though.

Many get to travel and experience things that would’ve felt like space travel to me at 18.

I think you’ll be surprised at 60 plus as to the attitude towards you from people 30 to 50 years younger than you.

You’ll be told how easy YOU had it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)