+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matchday Thread: Derby v Charlton

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Playing NML through the middle has seen his effectiveness plummet and we aren't creating chances. He needs to be moved out wide again.

Tiresome? Without that poor pass from Wilson, they wouldn't have their 2nd. Without JWs poor judgment they wouldn't have had their first. Their only real chance was headed against the woodwork. Facts.

Fans? I'm starting to think they don't watch. All over social media today there are fans slating PW for playing a back 3 last night "just to give Bradley another start". I point out we had a RB, 2 CHs and a LB. One reply was it looked like a back 3 from where he was stood in the South Stand. I then asked which of Nyambe, Nelson, Bradley and Cashin were playing elsewhere than in a back 4? No reply.
    Indeed, though NML was supposedly on the left wing, with Bird through the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I'm still puzzled as to how you can describe a run of 6 games, in which Derby lost 2 as a slump in February? OK 10 from a possible 18 pts was less than one would have hoped for, but its still hardly a slump. Whether there has been a "slump" in performances in January for years or whether that is just a perception is open to question, one would have to compare results which I haven't done, but certainly to describe the loss of the final 2 games in this month as a slump is not accurate.

Also however we have played and against Barnsley the general view, with the exception of those who seem to expect fantasy football in this league, was that Derby played well and were unlucky to lose, and perhaps derby were "lucky" to beat Stevenage but in the end its the result that matters.

I accept its frustrating that we have not managed to consolidate the current position and that's 2 games where we have scored first and lost, which is rather concerning and something as you say that needs addressing and for that the coach and team can be justifiably criticised.

I mention Posh and Bolton purely to illustrate that 2 clubs not as financially constrained as Derby are doing no better, it gives Derby's performance context which its important to remember.

It is rather out of Warne's hands when players make errors such as Wildsmith did and whilst yes its valid to say that there appears to be an inability to change tactics or shape to break down teams, to be fair Warne has changed the way the team plays and personnel quite drastically in games and after all one can only use the players available within the squad.
    I don’t think I have used the word ‘slump’ have I?

I think our form in 2024 has been a concern. P13, W6, D2, L5 is not promotion form and 20/39 available points isn’t going to get us promotion.

Personally I find it a little odd that you excuse the Barnsley defeat on the grounds of us being ‘unlucky’ but say of the ‘lucky’ Stevenage defeat
    that it’s the ‘result that matters’. Ultimately I suppose it’s always the result that matters but I do believe we have been worryingly inconsistent this year for a team with our ambitions.

It's only ever about results and 20 from 39 indicates inconsistent results over a significant part of the season. The fact that others apart from Pompey aren't actually burning up the league may be helping us but to get back on track means results must come and that means performances, collectively and individually, need to improve. It's a simple equation, 2+ points per game from now on and we will crack it, 1.5 per game imo equals another year in this **** league!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I don’t think I have used the word ‘slump’ have I?

I think our form in 2024 has been a concern. P13, W6, D2, L5 is not promotion form and 20/39 available points isn’t going to get us promotion.

Personally I find it a little odd that you excuse the Barnsley defeat on the grounds of us being ‘unlucky’ but say of the ‘lucky’ Stevenage defeat
    that it’s the ‘result that matters’. Ultimately I suppose it’s always the result that matters but I do believe we have been worryingly inconsistent this year for a team with our ambitions.

No true, the word you used was collapse.

We ahve been inconsistent its true, but then given we have scraped a team together on limited resources and suffered a fair few injuries, that's probably not surprising.

Some games you win, some you lose, some deservedly so, others not so much, was the point I was trying to make with the Barnsley and Stevenage. I would rather the team play badly and win, than perform well and lose, but its football and anything can and does happen.

One can take a point of view and say derby are "lucky" to be where they are, due to various factors, but equally one can say in some games Derby have been unlucky not get at least a pt or all 3 pts.

I guess given my expectations were always on a top 6 finish, I am fairly sanguine about whats happening, frustrated that the team just don't seem on occasion to be consistent throughout a match, but have enough realism to look at how other "big" clubs fared - Ipswich for example never finished higher than 9th in 3 seasons, before getting promotion in their 4th, to understand that actually Derby aren't doing too badly at all.

Obviously I hope it all comes together and we can secure 2nd spot.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    No true, the word you used was collapse.

We ahve been inconsistent its true, but then given we have scraped a team together on limited resources and suffered a fair few injuries, that's probably not surprising.

Some games you win, some you lose, some deservedly so, others not so much, was the point I was trying to make with the Barnsley and Stevenage. I would rather the team play badly and win, than perform well and lose, but its football and anything can and does happen.

One can take a point of view and say derby are "lucky" to be where they are, due to various factors, but equally one can say in some games Derby have been unlucky not get at least a pt or all 3 pts.

I guess given my expectations were always on a top 6 finish, I am fairly sanguine about whats happening, frustrated that the team just don't seem on occasion to be consistent throughout a match, but have enough realism to look at how other "big" clubs fared - Ipswich for example never finished higher than 9th in 3 seasons, before getting promotion in their 4th, to understand that actually Derby aren't doing too badly at all.

Obviously I hope it all comes together and we can secure 2nd spot.
    I’m sure that’s what we all hope and likewise I’m sure we are all ‘frustrated’ by the lack of consistency. The point I was making is that…if that hope is to be realised then the manager has some decisions to make and, where possible, stick by…how to best use NML…is Bradley worth sticking with as a first choice - which imo renders Cashin and the CD’s less effective - or is he best as cover on the bench…is Hourihane our captain, or no longer a first choice in which case who is the ‘leader’…and some players have to get their acts together and show that they can concentrate for ninety plus minutes and cope with the atmosphere created by 26,000 at PP.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I’m sure that’s what we all hope and likewise I’m sure we are all ‘frustrated’ by the lack of consistency. The point I was making is that…if that hope is to be realised then the manager has some decisions to make and, where possible, stick by…how to best use NML…is Bradley worth sticking with as a first choice - which imo renders Cashin and the CD’s less effective - or is he best as cover on the bench…is Hourihane our captain, or no longer a first choice in which case who is the ‘leader’…and some players have to get their acts together and show that they can concentrate for ninety plus minutes and cope with the atmosphere created by 26,000 at PP.
    Funny about Bradley, apart from one game I haven’t especially rated him but I sense he was brought in as a future captain and will be played come what may in future because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Funny about Bradley, apart from one game I haven’t especially rated him but I sense he was brought in as a future captain and will be played come what may in future because of that.
    He has taken a long time to fit in, Warne presumably wanted him for his favoured back 3, but his form has precluded that. I don't see Warne playing him irrespective of his form, but injuries to Forsyth and presumably Elder have forced his hand somewhat. Why he didn't play Sibley at LB to start with is a mystery, but perhaps he preferred a player with more "bite" in defence.

To date Warne hasn't shown a tendency to favour players irrespective of their form, but on the other hand he does have to use the squad he has, keep players match fit and cope with injuries.

Well, we all criticised the dropping of Wildsmith, but he cost us the points yesterday. I feel my earlier criticism of Warne "not getting" the expectation here was just, but he seems to be learning and in a much better place now when dealing with it, he's coming along nicely in that respect.
    I think if we go toe to toe with teams, we won't (and wouldn't have) picked up enough points to be in this position. The "Warne-ball" as I've seen it coined, certainly isn't inspiring or aesthetically enjoyable, but we're up there on merit, and just need to limp through however we can.
    Starting with 3 points Saturday, over to the other thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramshank72 View Post
    Well, we all criticised the dropping of Wildsmith, but he cost us the points yesterday. I feel my earlier criticism of Warne "not getting" the expectation here was just, but he seems to be learning and in a much better place now when dealing with it, he's coming along nicely in that respect.
    I think if we go toe to toe with teams, we won't (and wouldn't have) picked up enough points to be in this position. The "Warne-ball" as I've seen it coined, certainly isn't inspiring or aesthetically enjoyable, but we're up there on merit, and just need to limp through however we can.
    Starting with 3 points Saturday, over to the other thread...

I think you have summed it up nicely. Warne wasn't hired to get Derby to play like Barcelona, he was hired IMO with one objective, to get Derby out of league 1. A Derby whose squad and u21 team had been decimated due to administration and who were under tight financial restrictions, so far he is doing what he was hired to do, hopefully he achieves that aim this season.
    Last edited by swaledale; 29-02-2024 at 04:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)