+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: ⚽Match Thread vs. Sutton United FC 27.02.24 [EFL L2]

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Indeed they did, but those wing-backs aren't wing-backs, they're wingers.

Nemane and Jones can't defend and don't really want to defend, and that's been the starting point for plenty of the goals we've conceded this season, even when Williams was in charge. We need players in wide defensive positions who know how to defend and have the desire and aggression to close down opponents and stop crosses.

We need that protection even more so because our so-called (three!) centre-halves lose too many 50/50 tackles and headers when the ball goes into the box.
    I agree and that's what I said earlier

County played well against Mansfield by only conceding one goal.
    They've conceded 9 this season against the bottom of the league, one game of which Maynard wasn't the manager.
    So a four goal margin in August, and only one last night.
    I'd class that as an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by pjace View Post
    They played as Wing Backs last night
    They did but read what I said.

I said he has used them in other roles too not just full back/wing back.

7 games in and Jones probably had 4-5 different roles so you can see why we will struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post

7 games in and Jones probably had 4-5 different roles so you can see why we will struggle.
    Both have played in the wingback roll in most of our games this season, apart from the Newport game where we played 4 at the back...

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Both have played in the wingback roll in most of our games this season, apart from the Newport game where we played 4 at the back...
    He played 4 at back in a number of games Crewe for a start...which he changed to a 3 after 20 mins.

Then changed to a 4 last night as soon as we got to 3-3.

His chopping & changing doesnt help the team especially if low on confidence.

Against Crewe the players seemed to me to be confused about how they should be playing as the system appeared to be constantly changing last night they mostly stuck to 3 at the back but later on switched to 433 with Nemane playing RB
    At Newport he got it spot on 4 at the back with Macca an Jodi playing wide why did he change that

Quote Originally Posted by pjace View Post
    Against Crewe the players seemed to me to be confused about how they should be playing as the system appeared to be constantly changing last night they mostly stuck to 3 at the back but later on switched to 433 with Nemane playing RB
    At Newport he got it spot on 4 at the back with Macca an Jodi playing wide why did he change that
    Well maybe he is reading his tactical handbook from Waterstones, who knows !

One thing is for sure he is a complete dud.

Quote Originally Posted by tied_up_in_notts View Post
    I think both clubs are finding out now that the gap between the National League and League 2 is greater than we thought, and frailities we both got away with last season are being punished this season
    That's definitely the case. The difference between the leagues is substantial - although don't tell Chesterfield fans that, as they think it'll be a cake walk for them next season. Given how big the gap between them and us was last season they're in for a huge reality check. Deluded doesn't come close to describing that lot.

A lot of teams last season were beaten before a ball was kicked when they faced either of us, that's not the case this season. Every team has threats, are generally well organised, fitter and have the belief they can beat you regardless.

He played 4 at back in a number of games Crewe for a start...which he changed to a 3 after 20 mins.

Then changed to a 4 last night as soon as we got to 3-3.

His chopping & changing doesnt help the team especially if low on confidence.
    Yes, that's true.

Maynard in his first interview referred to the confidence he had in the tactical knowledge of himself and his management team, and to be fair the first real change he made worked a treat at Newport, but since then he's chopped and changed. I do wonder if he's prone to over-thinking things and losing sight of the obvious.

If I was him, ahead of the Bradford game, I'd decide to revert to and stick with the system used at Newport, and rather than showing the players a video of all the things they did badly last night, I'd show them a video of that Newport game and all the things they did well to get such a good result, including the defensive performance. They didn't do badly at Wrexham either. Positive reinforcement of both the tactic and the individual performances. Confidence is low and they probably need reminding they CAN do it, but it needs the right tactic, consistently applied, combined with greater application, aggression and determination from each individual player.

Quote Originally Posted by BenFostersGloves View Post
    That's definitely the case. The difference between the leagues is substantial - although don't tell Chesterfield fans that, as they think it'll be a cake walk for them next season. Given how big the gap between them and us was last season they're in for a huge reality check. Deluded doesn't come close to describing that lot.

A lot of teams last season were beaten before a ball was kicked when they faced either of us, that's not the case this season. Every team has threats, are generally well organised, fitter and have the belief they can beat you regardless.
    You might be right but Chesterfield look better equipped already. Loads of EFL experience which we certainly don’t have - even Wrexham had a few players with little or no experience in the EFL.
    Where Wrexham are ahead is the manager has been successful in the EFL. The home form they have allows for results like last night. Average 2 points in L2 and you will be promoted.
    Chesterfield will do well next season. Especially if the likes of Stockport, Mansfield, Wrexham and that fake club go up.

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast