+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Montague out!

Not all on him tbh. The bros definitely pulled the rug from under him, when they made part of the recruitment staff redundant last summer. Not only that you could argue he’s got more right than wrong this season. Let’s not be disingenuous here Notts have made 9 permanent signings this season.

Aidan Stone (miss)
    Dan Crowley (outstanding)
    David McGoldrick (good)
    Will Randall (horrendous)
    Lewis Macari (good)
    Jodi Jones (outstanding)
    Scott Robertson (good)
    Dan Gosling (horrendous)
    Alassana Jatta (yet to know)

That’s not a bad success rate overall tbh, especially if Jatta turnes out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle95 View Post
    Not all on him tbh. The bros definitely pulled the rug from under him, when they made part of the recruitment staff redundant last summer. Not only that you could argue he’s got more right than wrong this season. Let’s not be disingenuous here Notts have made 9 permanent signings this season.

Aidan Stone (miss)
    David McGoldrick (good)
    Lewis Macari (good)
    Jodi Jones (outstanding)
    Scott Robertson (good)
    Dan Gosling (horrendous)

Are you talking about people at Football Radar who were made redundant, or were they employed by Notts? If he’s now working without a team, it’s easy to see why he might be struggling to deliver.

We seem to be investing more in the development side of things at the moment, which is potentially great in the long term. All of that is contingent on us staying in the EFL, though, and there are big flashing warning lights that if we don’t improve the squad dramatically in the summer, that could be under threat next season.

At the start of the season I predicted we’d finish 13th. For much of the season I was delighted to be proven wrong, but now that might end up being a little optimistic. What a crazy club we are.

Aidan Stone (miss)
    David McGoldrick (good)
    Lewis Macari (good)
    Jodi Jones (outstanding)
    Scott Robertson (good)
    Dan Gosling (horrendous)

Still, it says something about our overall philosophy or strategy that in January, with us being the top-scorers in the division but with one of the worst defences, we went out and signed an unknown striker and not a solid, experienced centre back and a keeper who can actually do the basics.

The problem isn't necessarily who we've signed, it's who we haven't. We needed to fix the issues that were apparent last season, but we didn't. We handed multiyear contracts to players who aren't good enough at this level. When we had another chance to fix these issues in January, we didn't. It makes me wonder if our philosophy is to blame, as we seem to have such huge blind spots when it comes to what's actually needed to improve the team and results.

Aidan Stone (miss)
    David McGoldrick (good)
    Lewis Macari (good)
    Jodi Jones (outstanding)
    Scott Robertson (good)
    Dan Gosling (horrendous)

The trouble is, there are no successful defender signings, which was always the key priority. Macari is a yet to know really, and the three other loan signings have been poor, two defenders and a goalkeeper.

The loan signings have all been poor because they're either crocks or academy players. Sadly next year, we will be stuck in a similar position with the keepers as Slocombe and Stone are both under contract and we are looking to try and fit in Brookes who is also lacking league experience so where do we get a better keeper in?

Similar position in defence, I think the only defender out of contract is Baldwin who is arguably our best defender anyway so we'd still be in the same position

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    Still, it says something about our overall philosophy or strategy that in January, with us being the top-scorers in the division but with one of the worst defences, we went out and signed an unknown striker and not a solid, experienced centre back and a keeper who can actually do the basics.

The problem isn't necessarily who we've signed, it's who we haven't. We needed to fix the issues that were apparent last season, but we didn't. We handed multiyear contracts to players who aren't good enough at this level. When we had another chance to fix these issues in January, we didn't. It makes me wonder if our philosophy is to blame, as we seem to have such huge blind spots when it comes to what's actually needed to improve the team and results.
    In terms of the defence i agree. Everybody knows i thought and still continue to feel we have NL level defenders. Right now though i'd say he doesn't merit the chop. If he doesn't address the obvious need for quality defensive reinforcements in the summer that's a different story. I think this season should serve as a massive wake up call to people that underestimated L2 football, which i would say was the bros, RM and some fans. I suppose i'm being more lenient because Notts are round about where i expected us to be. In the summer though cut the deadwood and sign some proper players.

Wasn't Randall someone that Williams wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Are you talking about people at Football Radar who were made redundant, or were they employed by Notts? If he’s now working without a team, it’s easy to see why he might be struggling to deliver.
    We did this last year: https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38307626

I don't know if any of the supposed redundancies had an impact on NCFC. Best I can tell is that one guy was unhappy at being made redundant (who wouldn't be). Maybe Radar are introducing AI and don't need the staff

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    We did this last year: https://boards.footymad.net/showthread.php?t=38307626

I don't know if any of the supposed redundancies had an impact on NCFC. Best I can tell is that one guy was unhappy at being made redundant (who wouldn't be). Maybe Radar are introducing AI and don't need the staff
    Football Radar are currently advertising for staff and have ads all over linkedin.

Quote Originally Posted by Observerpie View Post
    Wasn't Randall someone that Williams wanted?
    Yes, dating back to their days at Swindon I believe. It was (kind of) acknowledged at the time.

I've still got no idea how good or bad Randall is in terms of ability, because he's never fit. A couple of cameo appearances have been non-descript, unsurprisingly because of his lack of match practice, but so far he's been about as much use to us as Dave Robinson (remember him?)

The same goes for Junior Morias. I actually like the little I've seen of Junior when he's actually been on the pitch, especially when he's paired up with Langstaff to create a very industrious front two, but again he never seems to be out of the treatment room. Several times this season, including last night, there was a vacancy up front that Morias could have filled, but when you go down your depth chart and look for him he's never there.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast