+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodwin GTF!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    The FUN with cowboy MacCormack?

I agree, we honestly can't be thinking of replacing the manager at this time of the season.

Who would we get in?
    Who's available?
    Do we gamble on a new manager's bounce?
    Would they turn this squad into world beaters with 8/9 weeks of the season to go?

The manager's changes in the last 2 games haven't worked, he obviously thinks we have a squad that is good enough to be used when we have multiple games coming up.....we don't. When all fit we have a good first 11 for this league but the bench is as average as it gets.

I truly hope Docherty and Wotherspoon are fit soon as they are a big miss when not available and it causes our manager to tinker too much with the starting line up.

Changing manager now would be conceding the title

A big own goal and they'd be laughing in streets of Raith if we did

Agree about the strongest 11 being good enough, not by miles but by enough, I don't know why he went into tinker mode after Kirkcaldy but it's not worked, we were awful both games

Docherty is a huge miss but that's the only thing we need to think about is who plays in his absence

We have some good off the bench options but stick with the tried and tested, it's worrying that he's deviated from what has worked for the most part, hope to to see more recognisable line up on Sat /Tues abs that includes Grimshaw at right back

Thomson beside Sibbald I would not be against as no worse than Tillson

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Changing manager now would be conceding the title

A big own goal and they'd be laughing in streets of Raith if we did

Agree about the strongest 11 being good enough, not by miles but by enough, I don't know why he went into tinker mode after Kirkcaldy but it's not worked, we were awful both games

Docherty is a huge miss but that's the only thing we need to think about is who plays in his absence

We have some good off the bench options but stick with the tried and tested, it's worrying that he's deviated from what has worked for the most part, hope to to see more recognisable line up on Sat /Tues abs that includes Grimshaw at right back

Thomson beside Sibbald I would not be against as no worse than Tillson
    Agree with this, especially putting Grimshaw back in his normal position and Thomson alongside Sibbald.

Could you imagine the meltdown if we’d gone through a sequence where we’d lost 5 on the bounce, dropped a two goal lead at home with a subby keeper scoring, beat at home by ICT after taking the lead, knocked out of two cups and culminating in blowing a two goal lead for the second time against the worst team in the league. Christ I don’t think Goodwin would get out the ground alive.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    Could you imagine the meltdown if we’d gone through a sequence where we’d lost 5 on the bounce, dropped a two goal lead at home with a subby keeper scoring, beat at home by ICT after taking the lead, knocked out of two cups and culminating in blowing a two goal lead for the second time against the worst team in the league. Christ I don’t think Goodwin would get out the ground alive.
    half our support would implode

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    …and yet after all that, they are level on points with us! Enough said!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfieldarab View Post
    The FUN with cowboy MacCormack?

I agree, we honestly can't be thinking of replacing the manager at this time of the season.

Who would we get in?
    Who's available?
    Do we gamble on a new manager's bounce?
    Would they turn this squad into world beaters with 8/9 weeks of the season to go?

The manager's changes in the last 2 games haven't worked, he obviously thinks we have a squad that is good enough to be used when we have multiple games coming up.....we don't. When all fit we have a good first 11 for this league but the bench is as average as it gets.

I truly hope Docherty and Wotherspoon are fit soon as they are a big miss when not available and it causes our manager to tinker too much with the starting line up.
    Did the Funsters not also sack their legend Jocky Scott with them top of the league?,it maybe difficult to prove that one as i think he was sent packing from TheAuldHunStand 3 times in total.

Not to absolve Goodwin from criticism but some perspective. Was looking back at where the last few champions were at this stage of the season in comparison to United.

23/24 United Points 51 GD +33
    22/23 Dundee Points 42 GD +11
    21/22 Killie Points 43 GD +12
    20/21 Hearts Points 51 GD +32

So United are ahead of the champions in each of the last 3 seasons. The season before the Champions were better partly because they invested heavily in a striker called Lawrence Shankland.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    Not to absolve Goodwin from criticism but some perspective. Was looking back at where the last few champions were at this stage of the season in comparison to United.

23/24 United Points 51 GD +33
    22/23 Dundee Points 42 GD +11
    21/22 Killie Points 43 GD +12
    20/21 Hearts Points 51 GD +32

So United are ahead of the champions in each of the last 3 seasons. The season before the Champions were better partly because they invested heavily in a striker called Lawrence Shankland.
    A credible demonstration of perspective surely shows who was in second place at the time, and obviously points and GD. Did anyone have a Raith Rovers side who were all but matching them at any time?

I just had the thought of what Robbie Nielson said was his target to win the league, and his target was 18 points per quarter, and while i dont want to put a hex on it, we are still on target to achieve that. However, we have another team who are also on target to achieve that, but we also have a squad that every person agrees that are plenty good enough to win this league and for 6 draws and 4 defeats and a good few of those wins, our squad has not performed anywhere near the max of those abilities.

6 games this month so this bunch had better grab this league by the throat and go in for the kill!

These stats mean zero.

The reality is that the majority of our points were taken in the early part of the season when the opposition (and how weak it really is!) hadnt seen or played us. Since then we have been way too predictable so much that even the most industrial side knows they can beat (or match us) by simply having a better work ethic, team spirit and game plan.

On paper we should have had the league wrapped up by now, ir reality we have been served up with dross. The management hasnt changed any of the system that will see us limping over the line and being back here the following season.

We've been ****e at home all season, not just recently. Go as far back as Dunfermline when we scraped a last minute equaliser.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)