+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Partick Thistle (A) March 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    Honestly, when I am not forensically dissecting offside rules I am genuinely a fun person.......just ask any of the lads at the stamp collecting club
    Don't you mean the Dundee & District Philatelic Society?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeats 62 View Post
    It doesn't matter who's head it came off as the original ball was played forward by a Partick player, which would instantly play any attacking player offside before any contact was made. Unless.......... someone is saying BG managed to move from an onside position to a hanging on the post position in a micro-second.

Sour grapes , I know, but... I'd still rather live with it than having to put up with VAR.
    Surely it does matter though - when the ball is kicked from the corner, there is a cluster of players (attackers and defenders) on the goal line, so Graham can't be offside. The flight time of the ball from the corner is well over a second (not a micro-second) and the players that were on the goal line move out to challenge for the ball. The ball is headed on to Graham who is in an offside position, but if it is a United player who headed it, then he's not offside. It's not the kick from the corner that you take it from, it's the header from the six yard line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamsof83 View Post
    It is indeed absurd. I kind of hate myself for knowing the new rules too! Even worse is how subjective it is. What is a deliberate playing of the ball and what is a deflection? A deflection is the same phase of play but playing deliberately is a new phase....

I long for the days of the clear daylight between forward and last defender rule. Took away all the nonsense of interfering with play, phase of play, shirt sleeve zone etc. Everyone new where they stood....and indeed where they should not stand!

Honestly, when I am not forensically dissecting offside rules I am genuinely a fun person.......just ask any of the lads at the stamp collecting club
    Can't remember what it was but wasn't there a goal scored in England recently by a player everyone thought was obviously in an offside position, even the players didn't know the rule, can you remember what it was?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke_Arab View Post
    Can't remember what it was but wasn't there a goal scored in England recently by a player everyone thought was obviously in an offside position, even the players didn't know the rule, can you remember what it was?
    Aye, it was a goal kick. Player miles offside but not offside. Receives the ball in acres of space and knocks it past the goalie. Goal given.

Graham was offside. End of.

Anyway, we’ve moved on - 3 points tonight and onward and upward.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)